Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

I applaud you for raising your kids to be respectful. I know when I was 15 I was respectful because I grew up with strict parents. Working frequently in high schools for my company I can tell you many current day 15 year olds do not treat people (especially teachers) respectfully. It is unfortunate.
Sadly, you’re correct. :rolleyes:

I think the purpose of it is more to help manufacturers meet CAFE requirements by squeezing out that extra 1/2 mpg it may save in city stop and go driving. Most of the people I know with it while having zero reliability issues have disabled it simply because they don't like the slight stumble when leaving a light.

yes, i understand c.a.f.e. there would be no c.a.f.e. if folks objected (this still being a republic). somehow i’m not getting the idea of $60,000+ trucks & suvs, with low mpg, driven as commuter vehicles to office jobs, and filled with toys on the weekend, all bought with revolving debt, forcing c.a.f.e. with its a.s.s. on everyone, but i digress. cheers.

I applaud you for raising your kids to be respectful. I know when I was 15 I was respectful because I grew up with strict parents. Working frequently in high schools for my company I can tell you many current day 15 year olds do not treat people (especially teachers) respectfully. It is unfortunate.

most correct. and intellectual disagreement remains polite among gentlemen. and certainly we are all gentlemen here, are we not? cheers.

My boss has a late 2016 (or perhaps a early 2017) Ford F150 with the auto start/stop. He takes that truck everywhere and it has the mileage of 135K miles on it to prove it. He does not disable the start/stop feature on it. His starter failed on him a couple of days ago.

Pretty much what everyone here expects to happen.

To get back on topic, I first experienced the auto stop start with a rental VW in Germany several years ago. Passat diesel with six speed manual. Great car, by the way. Really impressive performance.

But I about had a heart attack the first time the engine quit. Clutch out, in neutral, it stops. I mashed the clutch immediately and reached for the key to restart, and it fired right up.

I realized what was going on. Even so, I found it disconcerting and annoying. I left the clutch depressed when stopped to keep the engine running. A bit of extra wear on the throw out bearing to avoid this annoyance was very worth it for me.

My first personal experience with it was in a Mercedes C-class rental we had in Dallas, I believe I reviewed that vehicle on here actually. I couldn't disable it fast enough, lol.

yes, i understand c.a.f.e. there would be no c.a.f.e. if folks objected (this still being a republic). somehow i’m not getting the idea of $60,000+ trucks & suvs, with low mpg, driven as commuter vehicles to office jobs, and filled with toys on the weekend, all bought with revolving debt, forcing c.a.f.e. with its a.s.s. on everyone, but i digress. cheers.
People like what they like. If we all bought only what we needed, it’d be mostly a sea of compact and midsized sedans instead of crossovers and trucks/SUV’s. But I personally would rather drive my 17-18mpg average truck over a 40mpg Corolla or Optima because I LOVE driving my truck.

I just want to point out the break-even point for a start-stop event is 7 seconds with respect to gas mileage.

That is a interesting point. Maybe that is why the automakers set these systems up to shut off so quickly?

If the systems were programmed to shut off at around 3-5 seconds of the vehicle stopping that would eliminate most of the nuisance operations like during parking or waiting for garage door as someone mentioned.

So to the fact a truck had to have a starter replaced when it had... checks notes... 135,000 miles on it. Guess I'm wondering how this is any different than the non start stop trucks that have their starters replaced? When I was helping run our fleet with a variety of trucks from 1/2 tons to F550's, a starter replacement on non-start stop trucks with over 100k was not all that unusual... Did not matter the brand either.

I think the bottom line here is that this is a "feature" that nobody asked for. (I certainly don't know of anyone who had this on their wish list for new car features.)

Unless the Incredible Hulk is hammering the button it should experience less wear (far less area of movement, no mass of keys....etc) over its useful life, so if it's failing it's not the result of the design but rather tested/intended duty cycle of the button. I fully expect my push buttons to last the useful lives of our vehicles as I've not been impressed upon by my dealer that they are a typical failure item.

You would think that we have to replace keyboards every few months if switches are that unreliable...

I think the bottom line here is that this is a "feature" that nobody asked for. (I certainly don't know of anyone who had this on their wish list for new car features.)

Actually, people do want higher fuel economy, especially when fuel prices rise. What do you think will happen to all the $80k truck owners when fuel goes back to $5/gal?

I forget what it is, something like 7s of idling is equivalent to the excess fuel required to start a car. So there are savings to be had, especially at longer stop lights and traffic. But I’d still prefer a hybrid with a creeping capability for that.

I'm kinda with you. Yeah, don't be rude. But the second part, saying ones rationale is lacking is just saying your argument is not convincing.

I said it, and here is what it means. There was a question of it being easier or harder to replace the button vs a key switch. The poster mentioned brittle plastic in the dash.

What I found lacking with the argument is there is also brittle plastic on the steering column, so there is no appreciable difference, therefore, the argument is lacking a significant distinction.

There is a difference between saying someone is lacking as a person and saying their argument is lacking in persuasion.

But I also see how people can miss that.

Of course disagreement by itself isn't being rude, but it depends on HOW you disagree. There are a lot of members here who have extremely valuable knowledge and experience to share. It's often very clear who they are, and their posts are well written. They are the reason I personally keep returning to the forum, as it should be. There are also those who carry the "holier than thou" attitude, and it's clear which members possess it, since they re-hash the same things in every single thread, and frequently personally attack other members. Sure we all have disagreements, but for some members it seems every single one of their posts is an attack on someone. I truly feel sorry for those people, as they must have a lot of insecurities in their life, and it takes away from other posters the valuable wealth of information this forum has to offer.

You can debate with someone without saying you wouldn't let them work on your bicycle or that their rationale is lacking. That adds zero substance to the thread, zero. You might as well go post on Facebook. There are a lot of older adults on here who act like 15 year old girls, and everyone knows who they are.

You would think that we have to replace keyboards every few months if switches are that unreliable...

Actually, people do want higher fuel economy, especially when fuel prices rise. What do you think will happen to all the $80k truck owners when fuel goes back to $5/gal?

I forget what it is, something like 7s of idling is equivalent to the excess fuel required to start a car. So there are savings to be had, especially at longer stop lights and traffic. But I’d still prefer a hybrid with a creeping capability for that.

A lot of people think they have to hold the button in until the engine starts. A simple push and release does the trick. The computers take over and start the engine.

I like the hybrid idea too. Mazda has the idea of using a very small rotary engine to recharge the batteries. I haven’t heard much about this lately.

The car companies were given the mandate to increase fuel economy and they dipped into their engineering bag of tricks to develop start/stop, cylinder deactivation and so on. Another idea that doesn’t get pushed much is for drivers to look at their driving routines and habits. Consolidating trips, walk the three blocks to the convenience store instead of driving, and so forth all help to not only conserve fuel but to conserve money spent at the fuel pump.

A lot of people think they have to hold the button in until the engine starts. A simple push and release does the trick. The computers take over and start the engine.

I like the hybrid idea too. Mazda has the idea of using a very small rotary engine to recharge the batteries. I haven’t heard much about this lately.

The car companies were given the mandate to increase fuel economy and they dipped into their engineering bag of tricks to develop start/stop, cylinder deactivation and so on. Another idea that doesn’t get pushed much is for drivers to look at their driving routines and habits. Consolidating trips, walk the three blocks to the convenience store instead of driving, and so forth all help to not only conserve fuel but to conserve money spent at the fuel pump.

no, people can’t possibly be expected to walk...

Im a big fan of a small apu to charge batteries for greater EV penetration. Too bad our stupid laws caused good options like the bmw i3 to be screwed up in that regard.

So to the fact a truck had to have a starter replaced when it had... checks notes... 135,000 miles on it. Guess I'm wondering how this is any different than the non start stop trucks that have their starters replaced? When I was helping run our fleet with a variety of trucks from 1/2 tons to F550's, a starter replacement on non-start stop trucks with over 100k was not all that unusual... Did not matter the brand either.

The difference is instead of the starter failing in your driveway when you shut it off, it will fail in the middle of a busy road when you come to a stop and can't restart.

My first personal experience with it was in a Mercedes C-class rental we had in Dallas, I believe I reviewed that vehicle on here actually. I couldn't disable it fast enough, lol.

I’ve driven many cars with start/stop now and the Mercedes C class was by far the worst. It was loud and it shuddered the whole car.

The difference is instead of the starter failing in your driveway when you shut it off, it will fail in the middle of a busy road when you come to a stop and can't restart.

The reality is that starters are much better these days than they were before. Those of us old enough will remember the auto electric shops that would diagnose the starter and rebuild it or replace a part like the solenoid.

And again, some start/stop systems do not use the starter.

Which would be the same for a traditional key switch. After all, most columns are covered in the same, brittle plastic. So no real change here.

Except they are screwed together, and not clipped. Much easier and reliable to remove a steering column cover than parts of the dash... At least if they have to fit back together without any signs of entry...

And if it does go south, much cheaper parts than lower dash.....

I don't have much bad experience with failing push starts, but also not a lot with failing ignition locks. Most often the car needs a new lock set for some other reason. They're not hard to change luckily.

But to work on the car, push buttons are much worse... Leave a key in the ignition and steering lock won't switch on which helps when working on the front axle or suspension. not soeasy with push start.

Back