engine Oil - Pennzoil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry about my grammar in my first post!!I tried to stop it after I hit reply but it was tool late.
banghead.gif

I was wondering w/ the temps if you had a reverse of seasons as compared to the US. I was thinking of using a 15/40 or 20/50 my next oil change just for kicks in my 302 Ford.

At work they use 15/40 in everything no matter what kind of motor.
burnout.gif

Hi all, Yep the Gold Coast can get pretty HOT! But our winter nights can get a bot cold too.

Normally the Hot part would relate to a few Months of the year with average days of Mid 30’s Deg Cel. It does get mush hotter but that’s an average. Cold Winter Nights, well around 5 Deg Cel, but it also can go just in to the –‘s some times. More than just the straight out heat is the extremely high Humidity! We can have days of 75+ % Humidity.

They say the Gold Coast is classed as Sub-Tropical. But Oil company’s here market there 20w 50’s are suited to the freezing Victorian Sown Fields to the Hot Outback, and there much Colder and Hotter then the Gold Coast!

I have come across one other interesting little bit of info that I just can’t seem to get a straight answer on.

As we are talking about the Pennzoil GT Performance, which our bottles say “MADE IN THE USA” and are said to be FULLY imported from the States. Well after a phone call to the Tech help line to check that the formula would not have changed with the recent Shell take over, they offered to Fax me a copy of the Tech Data Sheet.

Now I noticed that the Tech Data is different to that of the USA Sheet! There are slight variations in Nemours readings and several test readings missing! After getting the run around from all the Tech Help line people, I am still unsure as to how this can be when they are still telling me that it is fully imported! I perhaps suggested the with the recent take over by Shell and there base Oil and Blending now being done by Shell that maybe this is why the numbers are different. But below is the Quote from a replayed email to the Tech Line. That still leaves me confused! To add the Test standards number are the same on both sheets, but the readings are different!

Email from Pennzoil Aust:
Hello Francis,
Thanks for enquiry in reference to Pennzoil GT Performance 20W-50.
I have checked with the Product Manager and the correct version to use is the Australian PDS (Product Data Sheet / Tech Sheet).
This is the latest PDS is the AUS version and is rated API SL and conforms to all relevant specs on this AUS PDS.

Now Shell has taken over Pennzoil (from an ownership perspective) Shell requires all relevant data sheet meet Aust conditions even if the product is made elsewhere.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Pennzoil Australia.

The reason I am trying to find out so much about it is because there is one issue I am unsure of. The Australian Sheet, does not make any reference to the HTHS (High Temp, High Shear) Rating. The USA Product claims to be a 5.1, but is there anyway of find out for sure that this would be the case on the GT Performance that is on the Australian shelves?

From what I have been led to believe, a reading of 5.1 is very impressive and there for I was surprised not to see it on the Aus Tech Sheet, and since there are other variations from AUS to USA sheets, How would you know if this still remains at 5.1?

One of the main reasons I am asking is because a few people I know were using it in very high barring temp situations and / or those that would encounter extreme forces. Normally you would have to seek a thicker oil to achieve the same sort of rating, but Pennzoil managed to get it in a 20w 50.

Would anyone have any ideas on this one?

I would ask them straight out.

Might get the runaround though, like my last encounter with Castrol. I was just asking for a sulphated ash count on one particular blend, and by the way the tech bloke was carrying on, you think I'd asked them to raise the Titanic.
grin.gif

Dave

I to had an issue with Castrol over a Question.

I wanted to know what the Zinc ammount was, he said hat would be like givving out the 11 secert herbs and spices. Most Companys will tell you anyway, but he was acting like I was asking the biggst secert of the company.\

I have sent a few more emails around the likes of Shell and Pennzoil, and yep, no replys! No answers as to why the sheets are different or if the HTHS is still 5.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back