Engine Oil for my 1988 Toyota truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be changing the coolant as well and I've done some research and people say to go to a Toyota dealership and get the red coolant for the truck. Anyone heard of that?
Needs a new battery as well. I have a sound system and wanted to try the optimal batteries. I have heard some horror stories with those. I have had no problem with just the plain Jane battery but again just overkill to have the best

Originally Posted by Yota88
I'm new here guys but I just wanted to get some peoples opinions on different engine oil. I have a 1988 Toyota pick up xtra cab with about 128xxx. In the engine, tranny, diff and transfer I have amsoil. I'm just seeing what other people might recommend or just get some opinions on other good oils to try. I wanted to try wix xp for my next oil filter change. Anyone use those? I'm almost done with my year in korea so when I get back to the states it's due for a tune up. Wanted to change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, new battery, oil change/oil filter, change front shocks. Anything else y'all recommend?

It's a great looking truck and that's low mileage for an old Toyota. Looks in excellent condition. I can see why you want to give it the best. I'm with 69 Torino in that I think the wix XP will serve you well.

I'll be changing the coolant as well and I've done some research and people say to go to a Toyota dealership and get the red coolant for the truck. Anyone heard of that?

The pink Toyota coolant is better than the red. The pink is their "Super Long Life" coolant.

What a great classic! Congrads....Wally World sells Valvoline coolant for Toyota. Either way will work, but I'm no mechanic.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 69Torino
XP's and Napa Platinums are less efficient because they are extended drain filters, and are designed to hold more contaminants over a longer oil change interval.

I'm sure you know the Ultra is rated for longer OCIs than the XP/Platinum is ... so the "designed to hold more contaminates" doesn't always correlate to the filter's efficiency. Quite a few high efficiency oil filters on the market that are designed for long OCIs.

I don't disagree with you. Though, for my purposes a Napa Gold fits the bill.

I'd go for the regular WIX/Napa Gold (used many over the years) before the XP/Platinum ... since I like filters that are 95% at 20μ or better. ... just my preference.
grin2.gif

What other things can I do for a good tune up? So far I'll do engine oil/filter change (I'll be using amsoil ss and wix xp) change coolant (Toyota red) and thermostat, change brake fluid, change power steering fluid, change clutch fluid, front shocks need replaced, change battery (possibly optima battery), fuel filter. Can of Seafoam in gas tank and one can sprayed into the intake.

From what I read, red is for the older models and pink is for newer. Probably doesn't matter in the end
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The pink Toyota coolant is better than the red. The pink is their "Super Long Life" coolant.

That's what I'll probably go with. I like the mesh backing and the coil spring instead of the sheet metal Or I might try the puralator boss. Those are kind of my two I've been wanting to try for awhile. Always done k&n filters
Originally Posted by Pinoak
I'm new here guys but I just wanted to get some peoples opinions on different engine oil. I have a 1988 Toyota pick up xtra cab with about 128xxx. In the engine, tranny, diff and transfer I have amsoil. I'm just seeing what other people might recommend or just get some opinions on other good oils to try. I wanted to try wix xp for my next oil filter change. Anyone use those? I'm almost done with my year in korea so when I get back to the states it's due for a tune up. Wanted to change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, new battery, oil change/oil filter, change front shocks. Anything else y'all recommend?

It's a great looking truck and that's low mileage for an old Toyota. Looks in excellent condition. I can see why you want to give it the best. I'm with 69 Torino in that I think the wix XP will serve you well.

Your using Amsoil in the diff, tranny and transfer so why not in the engine? You can go with Amsoil, Toyota OEM or Fram Ultra filters.

Welcome to the forum and nice truck. Whatever you will be doing, will be just fine because you care and you aren't just throwing anything at it.

After you change the battery(just get any name brands top of the line) and also keep it connected to a battery tender/maintainer when not in use.

I have rigged up my Firebird(in sig) battery maintainer so I can just plug it in without lifting the hood when not in use.

I try to buy batteries with removable caps, NOT maintenance free sealed tops. This way, I can keep an eye on the acid level and add distilled water whenever. This battery is now 14 years old and it's only a standard Walmart EverStart(non MAXX).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by anndel
Your using Amsoil in the diff, tranny and transfer so why not in the engine? You can go with Amsoil, Toyota OEM or Fram Ultra filters.

+1

As a universal engine oil for virtually any engine from Prius to Porsche to an 18-wheeler (old, new, Euro, turbo, DI, high-SAPS, low-SAPS, gasoline, diesel, small, large), I recommend Chevron Delo XSP 5W-40 CK-4/SN PLUS full synthetic. If you have oil consumption or excess wear, it will help in an older engine.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/delo-400-xsp-sae-5w-40.html

The Fram Ultra oil filter is a BITOG darling and available at both Walmart and Amazon.

So are you doing the work yourself, or getting it done at a shop? If you are going to a Yota dealership to get the coolant, pick up oil and a filter right there and be done. It's all good stuff. TGMO is fine oil and good for annual changes, or at least 5,000 miles.

I'd service the PCV system for sure. The valve and the hoses are getting long in the tooth and prolly hard/brittle. Just go through it and make sure that's all working as it should.

I'd also replace the Bat (-) Neg ground cable. Get a decent one and solder the block end connector before installing. That connection has been untouched for a long time. Crevice corrosion will be building in between the surfaces including the crimped wire. It's an age thing.

And as long as you are there, add a new #8 or bigger cable from the ground point on the block to the firewall. Same with crimped and soldered lugs on both ends. All your instruments, lights, and your sound system will thank you. Any handy firewall bolt will do. I usually use a hood hinge bolt and coat the threads with Never Seize.

You are doing fine. The truck will run a long time.

Thank you for your service, and get home safe
smile.gif

Last edited:
Well, my old 1993 Toyota 4WD is still in service with perhaps 300K miles.
I gave it to my BIL years ago. His son is using it now.
The 22RE is a legend.
I would use any good filter and any decent 10w30 or 5w30.
Probably synthetic or semi synthetic.
With ST HM so cheap, why use anything less?

Currently I do have amsoil in the engine and when I change the oil I'll be staying with amsoil
Originally Posted by anndel

Your Yota originally came with the old green stuff so anything modern is a step up. I'm still using the new and improved green stuff in my 4Runner.

When you do the tune up buy Genuine Toyota Cap, Rotor, and wires. It makes a difference. They're all still made and very affordable. The original stuff is so much nicer than the aftermarket junk, especially the wires. The Toyota wires come pre loomed in holders and actually fit correctly. While you're ordering factory tune up stuff get a factory PCV valve, grommet, and hose. Get the genuine Toyota thermostat as well.

Shocks and spark plugs are fine in the aftermarket. I like KYB gas-a-just shocks, the current set on my 4Runner have about 75k on them and still perform very very well. Some people find the valving too stiff, I prefer it to softer valved shocks especially on a 4Runner as they better control the vehicle feel and handling.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
When you do the tune up buy Genuine Toyota Cap, Rotor, and wires. It makes a difference. They're all still made and very affordable. The original stuff is so much nicer than the aftermarket junk, especially the wires. The Toyota wires come pre loomed in holders and actually fit correctly. While you're ordering factory tune up stuff get a factory PCV valve, grommet, and hose. Get the genuine Toyota thermostat as well.

Shocks and spark plugs are fine in the aftermarket. I like KYB gas-a-just shocks, the current set on my 4Runner have about 75k on them and still perform very very well. Some people find the valving too stiff, I prefer it to softer valved shocks especially on a 4Runner as they better control the vehicle feel and handling.

Yeah, definitely genuine Toyota distributor parts.

The shaft of my original distributor, part of the centrifugal advance was welded shut because of failed lubricant. Luckily, they still sold new distributors at that time. Check your shaft to see its condition and repack it with full-synthetic moly grease (such as Valvoline full synthetic) if it's not welded shut.

Certainly, thermostat, PCV valve, etc. also have to be genuine. Even the air filter has to be genuine unless you want dust leaking into your engine because of an ill-fitting aftermarket air filter.

You can go aftermarket on chassis parts.

Toyota has an official parts site now, with diagrams, MSRPs, and availability, as well as links to local dealers:

https://parts.toyota.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back