Engine Oil for my 1988 Toyota truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here guys but I just wanted to get some peoples opinions on different engine oil. I have a 1988 Toyota pick up xtra cab with about 128xxx. In the engine, tranny, diff and transfer I have amsoil. I'm just seeing what other people might recommend or just get some opinions on other good oils to try. I wanted to try wix xp for my next oil filter change. Anyone use those? I'm almost done with my year in korea so when I get back to the states it's due for a tune up. Wanted to change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, new battery, oil change/oil filter, change front shocks. Anything else y'all recommend?

B5FEC867-9FDB-4E43-9FB4-92A7D4F7311E.jpeg

Originally Posted by Yota88
I wanted to try wix xp for my next oil filter change. Anyone use those?

They aren't very efficient (50% @ 20 microns). Hang out in the oil filter forum for all the good stuff on oil filters. As far as oil, there's lots of options and depends on your goals (cost, availability, OCI lengths, etc, etc). Welcome to the site.

welcome2.gif

Those are some loaded questions! Short answer is: consensus is whatever synthetic oil is on sale and a fram ultra oil filter. Wix xp supposedly does not filter as well.

Is that the Marty McFly truck?

If it's got Amsoil in all the stuff I'd do her up right and give it some Amsoil SS and a Wix (XP or Standard) or Napa Gold or Platinum Filter. XP's and Napa Platinums are less efficient because they are extended drain filters, and are designed to hold more contaminants over a longer oil change interval. Lots of people bat their eyelashes at Wix XP and Napa Platinum but the only real problem people have with them is that they're not Fram Ultras. Wix/Napa filter quality will not disappoint you.

I run the cheapest conventional or synblend I can get in my 92 22RE engine. Got some close out Pennzoil conventional at AutoZone for $10 a jug, so that's what is in it now.

I might splurge next change, and stick a jug of Mobil Super 5000 synblend it it. Everyday price at Rural King is $12.99 a jug. I am on the keep money in pocket side of things, so it will more than likely be Rural King conventional for $9.49 a jug.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
XP's and Napa Platinums are less efficient because they are extended drain filters, and are designed to hold more contaminants over a longer oil change interval.

I'm sure you know the Ultra is rated for longer OCIs than the XP/Platinum is ... so the "designed to hold more contaminates" doesn't always correlate to the filter's efficiency. Quite a few high efficiency oil filters on the market that are designed for long OCIs.

Originally Posted by BigD1
I run the cheapest conventional or synblend I can get in my 92 22RE engine. Got some close out Pennzoil conventional at AutoZone for $10 a jug, so that's what is in it now.

I might splurge next change, and stick a jug of Mobil Super 5000 synblend it it. Everyday price at Rural King is $12.99 a jug. I am on the keep money in pocket side of things, so it will more than likely be Rural King conventional for $9.49 a jug.

Man...

I would have given you my Mobil Super that I got for $2.35 a 5 qt container... I'da just met you at a Cook-Out resturant near the state line off 95 or 85. ( There's a good Cook-Out in Oxford NC off 85)... First Cook-Out I ever went to... And it was really good.. Anyhow I had 8 containers of it. . However I have to now run a high mileage oil in the gg. So I gave most of that Mobil Super to my father in law.

I agree though with your thought here. . A solid inexpensive API SN oil and that is all good. Warren Oil made Coastal is often rather cheap... And of course it supports a local business in NC..

Last edited:
Its probably had conventional oil its entire life, so I would put the cheapest high mileage conventional/blend oil you can find in it. Personally.

SuperTech high mileage oil is all it needs in the engine.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 69Torino
XP's and Napa Platinums are less efficient because they are extended drain filters, and are designed to hold more contaminants over a longer oil change interval.

I'm sure you know the Ultra is rated for longer OCIs than the XP/Platinum is ... so the "designed to hold more contaminates" doesn't always correlate to the filter's efficiency. Quite a few high efficiency oil filters on the market that are designed for long OCIs.

I don't disagree with you. Though, for my purposes a Napa Gold fits the bill. But my 295k Freestyle is wearing a Napa Platinum right now for no more reason that it was on sale nearly equal the price of the Gold. I don't feel the 50% @ 20um will shorten its life by any measurable amount. And I just can't get around the thin can and plastic poppet bypass in the Ultra. (I realize it's glass impregnated nylon but still)... the media in the Ultra is amazing, and is capable of very impressive things. I won't take that away from it. carry on.

You can tell what my vote is going to be by the signature and I would pair it with a Fram Ultra filter.

But the truth is any shelf oil will do just fine in that engine. Today's oils are way more than that engine was designed to operate with so no need to stress over it, unless long OCI's are your goal.

That truck in is amazing condition - - it's an easy $10,000 truck in many parts of Texas.

Just about any normal 10W-30 you get on sale will run well in it.

The Fram Ultra series filters are near the very top of the list of all filters made.

You are lucky to have such a low mileage Toyota pickup. My 87 has 300,000+ miles on it. I've run just about every possible combination of oil and filters and it doesn't seem to know or care, just keeps going.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
You are lucky to have such a low mileage Toyota pickup. My 87 has 300,000+ miles on it. I've run just about every possible combination of oil and filters and it doesn't seem to know or care, just keeps going.

My 22RE powered 87 4Runner has 343700 miles on it as of this afternoon. For the first 255,200 miles of its life it was serviced at the dealership with bulk oil and a Toyota filter. Since I've owned it it's had everything from Super Tech 5w30 conventional to 15w40 Diesel oil and even 20w50 and everything in between both synthetic and conventional. UOA is healthy at 5,000 intervals even on Super Tech conventional. Mine has never been rebuilt but it does have a new timing chain, valve job and I did the head gasket.

Far more important than your oil choice is ensuring the health of the timing chain and guides, especially the drivers side guide. If it's broken the chain WILL wear through the timing cover to water and trash your engine. I've seen it numerous times unfortunately.

I got the truck when I was 17 with 117xxx. The owner had it sitting for awhile. Would blow leafs out the vents when the air got turned on. Within a few months it blew a head gasket and my dad took it to his favorite shop and had a ton of stuff replaced or repaired since he said that they are already working in that area you might as well cough up the money now because eventually you'll have to do it. But it barely gets driven as you can see only 11k been put on in 7 years due to being in the military. I just drive it on leave for two weeks whenever I come home. But I'll be getting stationed where the trucks at so it'll be my DD that's why I wanna hit it with a good tune up.

Have you tried puralator boss? I liked how the wire mesh was made within the filter media. I'm fine with spending money on quality items cause I want the truck to last forever so when it comes to maintenance and repair parts I don't mind spending money for quality

They aren't very efficient (50% @ 20 microns). Hang out in the oil filter forum for all the good stuff on oil filters. As far as oil, there's lots of options and depends on your goals (cost, availability, OCI lengths, etc, etc). Welcome to the site.

No I wish it was. His truck is really nice
Originally Posted by Kage860
welcome2.gif

Those are some loaded questions! Short answer is: consensus is whatever synthetic oil is on sale and a fram ultra oil filter. Wix xp supposedly does not filter as well.

Originally Posted by Kage860
welcome2.gif

That truck is in great shape by looking at the picture. I'm sure it will appreciate you driving it more when you get assigned there. Sounds like you have good fluids running in it.

That must be a older picture. Where's all the snow?

And that's what I've heard is that the 22re lasts forever. I'm kind of a perfectionist and want the best of anything in the truck even if it is overkill
Originally Posted by Langanobob

Yeah about two years old. No snow that December but my driver door has a dent where some guy backed into me. Such a sad day cause that truck was in perfect condition before that.
Originally Posted by PimTac
That truck is in great shape by looking at the picture. I'm sure it will appreciate you driving it more when you get assigned there. Sounds like you have good fluids running in it.

That must be a older picture. Where's all the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back