Engine noise any indication of oil quality?

I don't understand that. Fuel dilution is agnostic to the winter rating, it is nothing but simple dilution. Any 30-grade is going to dilute out of that grade with enough fuel, you would have to step up the grade to combat dilution.
He may be thinking of the base stock configuration.

In my defence, I don't have a monetized Youtube channel and I'm not sponsored by HPL ;) Ergo, like @wwillson, I don't benefit financially from sharing my experiences on this forum, which runs quite contrary to most linked Youtube content where claims are made to support an obvious relationship between the product's manufacturer and the person promoting it.

I had just thought you (or maybe someone else) had mentioned you ran M1EP for a while and then when you switched to HPL you were seeing a lot of carbon and what not in the filters. So the HPL was definitely cleaning up the motor some that the M1 apparently did not.

Was kind of going of singulars comments about a different oil cleaning better than another.

Maybe it was the hemi motor, I recall where you had mentioned that hemis are “dirty engines” or something along those lines.

Oil quality is determined by testing the oil against stringent industry standard tests. Noise is not one of them.

With that said, I can understand one wanting to switch if it sounds like a bucket of bolts moving around.

The only thing I could think of is that high VII content is probably not desirable if you're trying to combat fuel dilution.
I wonder if it's the reverse since VII are heat activated whereas fuel dilution is simply a very thin liquid being added to a thicker liquid. In addition IIRC 20w are inherently low in VII's. @OVERKILL may have some graphs showing VII concentration by finished grade.

Mobil apparently still shows their oils can clean. This was the prior formulation and not the new Triple, which uses "cleaning power" language in their PDS. The photo Mobil is using here for a before and after isn't that good either.

I think some synthetics can clean to some degree, but some certainly more than others. Within the Mobil line the 0w40, all of HPL, Amsoil SS etc.

Those pics that constitute the preview are grossly misleading, here are some snaps from the actual video:
View attachment 153969
View attachment 153970

Yes, there's some lightening on the intake camshaft bearing caps, but the difference is nothing like the video's preview.

Also, important to note that he's using their XPR racing oil, which says nothing about suitable for street use on their website:

The XPR 5W-40 appears to be 10-22% PAO:
View attachment 153971

With a mix of other lower group bases.

It's possible that this product line has some AN's or esters in it that could do some cleaning, however that does not mean that the other product lines do. Mobil 1 0W-40 is advertised as being able to clean, but that doesn't mean other Mobil grades do.

@OVERKILL has entered the thread.

Prepare to be schooled...

And for those who don't know, SPL is extremely difficult to measure. I work in a calibration lab and the only way we have found to accurately calibrate sound level meters is to stick the entire calibration set up into a plexiglass vacuum pressurized box and view results with a data logger in an adjacent room. Doing a numerical comparison of dB without whatever you are measuring isolated is inaccurate in my experience.

Lux meters and spectrophotometers are equally difficult. You can send them to 10 different A2LA certified calibration labs and get 10 different results.
And yet somehow individuals here and on YouTube are getting definitive results on both with cell phones. Amazing.

But it does go right along with determining comparative oil quality via a $30 spectrographic analysis or the typical values on a PDS.

And yet somehow individuals here and on YouTube are getting definitive results on both with cell phones. Amazing.

I feel that's a little misleading. One can definitely capture a ticking/clacking noise with any cellphone these days. And if you can capture the sound you can also capture when the sound is not there. (and hopefully the test is repeated more than once). Definitive, no, but I'd be confident doing a double blind test in my truck with factory oil vs the oil I'm running now if it wasn't so costly and time consuming to setup. It's extremely noticable when idling through drive-throughs, I used to hear the clatter reflecting off the brick wall of the building I was 2 feet away from, that clatter is now gone.

But even passing a DBT that would just lead detractors to move on to the next "issue"; ok you hear a difference but that doesn't mean the quiet oil is automatically better in all other areas for an engine. And I'd agree with that in general.

But if I can find two high quality oils and one of them runs quieter in my engine, I'm definitely running that one.

I would love to experiment more to see if other oils make a difference, but honestly I just want a quiet well running engine. I have no idea what property of the oil is making a difference, perhaps it's just the change in viscosity from xw-20 to xw-30 and the rest of the formula has nothing to do with it.

I had just thought you (or maybe someone else) had mentioned you ran M1EP for a while and then when you switched to HPL you were seeing a lot of carbon and what not in the filters. So the HPL was definitely cleaning up the motor some that the M1 apparently did not.

Was kind of going of singulars comments about a different oil cleaning better than another.

Maybe it was the hemi motor, I recall where you had mentioned that hemis are “dirty engines” or something along those lines.
Yes, I got some carbonaceous "paste" in my oil filter (not as extensive as what Wayne has seen, but our truck has lower miles) and the truck (5.7L HEMI) has spent its life on M1 EP 0W-20, which is a PAO-based oil with I'd assume low solvency/polarity. @UncleDave got the same material in his oil filter, in a vehicle that also spent its life on high quality API-compliant synthetics.

The assumption is that this stuff came from the ring land area, due to how dirty the HEMI runs. M1 EP is not advertised as being able to clean, like most API oils, its purpose to maintain cleanliness, which varies in difficulty depending on the engine and operating conditions. Mobil has advertised that M1 FS 0W-40 on the other hand, can clean, which I also experienced on our old Expedition, yielding the same sort of material that Wayne saw in his filter.

IMHO, this highlights some of the formulation constraints placed on API compliant oils, which become less restrictive once you step outside the Resource Conserving grade range (which xW-40 does).

For this to be a truly valid test you need a repeatable test setup and possibly control over environmental conditions.

On the other hand, today I drove my 2007 5.4L 3 valve Ford truck. I also put QS FS 10w30 in it in April. It’s noticeably quieter. In my head or not. I’ve put 225,000 on this truck and hot idle has always made some valve train noise due to cam phasers and whatnot. This truck is smooth and absolutely quiet with the 10w30 QS. So quieter in one of my cars and louder in the other??? Definitely not definitive. I have another Escape that I’ll probably put it in at next change to see if any change in sound happens. I believe the QS is GTL based like the Pennzoil Platinum is but I can’t be sure. If so then it’s a steal.

So how do you figure that your Ford EcoBoost engine was built specifically for 0/5W-20?

Do you understand the difference between oil viscosity and HTHS? For example, HPL NO-VII 5W-30 has a HTHS of 3.5, yet it's slightly less viscous than many resource conserving oils.
My engine is N.A. though it is related to that ecoboost "gasket blowing" architecture and also farther back the Mazda/Ford shared 2 liter engine.

I mentioned HTHS in my post. Ford has been designing engines and spec'ing them for 5W20 for decades - I will assume they torture and stress test new designs with that recommended oil grade printed on the 710 cap.

Draining out some of the 10W30 and replacing that with 5W20 the other day seems to (surprisingly) solved the poor engine operation. Doesn't make ANY sense it would make a "night and day" difference but it did. Also surprising that it ran fine on the 10W30 the prior year.

I just go by what the engine is telling me. With the addition of hydraulic cam phasers and other changes, I'm am learning my old "rules of thumb" are out the window. Changing the oil last month made it run bad consistently for a month. I didn't want to dump it, so I bad-aided it. Let's see if this 'perception:" of improved performance lasts. I am frank and forthcoming if I make a mistake or an error. Just relaying stories for all see.

It's good to hear your Pentastars are running well with a good range of oil choices. I had a 2016 Charger rental years ago visiting my Mom in FLA. I had to open the hood and see that that was not a V8. I wish I could have purchased that rental and drove it home. I liked that car. - Ken

I think a mod deleted one of my reply posts in this thread and I didn't get a notification or reason. I am not aware that it violated forum rules. - Ken

Absolutely nothing.

The HEMI Tick Mandela effect and Red Line Cure placebo are very real, and very laughable.

Here are the videos you're thinking of 👇:

There's so much background noise in the 2nd video masking the engine sounds that no real conclusion could really be made. I know that engines sound much more noisy in recordings than in person from my experience of recording my own engines running in a quiet garage and then listening to the sound recording.

Back