Engine noise any indication of oil quality?

I recently (500miles ago) changed the oil in my commuter car 2018 Ford Escape 2.0 with 75,000 miles on it. I was using some Castrol Edge High mileage 5w30 and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing good, nothing bad but did get Slightly higher fuel mileage than with a the previous change. This fill I used Quaker State FS 10w30 for the summer months. The car starts quiet and runs great but when hot, like at a stop light in gear, the engine is noticeably loader. No bad sounds just normal engine sounds amplified. Is this any indication that this engine doesn’t care for this oil or is sound totally inadmissible in the function of the oil?

We all know engine's can't care. They're metal.
Seriously, I think quietness of an engine relates to oil staying where it's needed thus cushioning parts.

My Ranger 4.0l SOCH had timely 'fast lube' service all it's life before I got it. Alas, the service was the most basic using the most basic oil no doubt. On no receipt were the words "synthetic oil" to be found.
When I changed to a 5W-30 synthetic product, the engine was much quieter. The difference was undeniable.

I've never seen a video where the jack rigs an array of quality microphones around an engine bay and takes sound measurements before and after an oil change or at different temperatures.

Take any honda rocker/roller arm engine (think anything really, J, K, B series, even the L15) Over time the valves need to be adjusted for clearance, they clatter, doesn't matter the oil.
So no, engine sound has absolutely nothing to do with oil quality, its all placebo and people "hearing ghosts". Sometimes simply doing an oil change can flush out any kind of material that could have causing "extra friction" but even the, doubt anyone actually notices.

My thought on the mileage increase, could be from a change from the winter gas formula to summer gas formula. I know in New Jersey it makes a difference. My experience with oil has always been, running synthetic oil has made any vehicle I used it in, noisier. I either run a heavier grade like 10/40 if the car calls for 10/30, or run mineral oil. Just changing brands never quieted it down, only a change in wt. 75k miles might be the point where things are starting to loosen up in the engine.,,

I recently (500miles ago) changed the oil in my commuter car 2018 Ford Escape 2.0 with 75,000 miles on it. I was using some Castrol Edge High mileage 5w30 and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing good, nothing bad but did get Slightly higher fuel mileage than with a the previous change. This fill I used Quaker State FS 10w30 for the summer months. The car starts quiet and runs great but when hot, like at a stop light in gear, the engine is noticeably loader. No bad sounds just normal engine sounds amplified. Is this any indication that this engine doesn’t care for this oil or is sound totally inadmissible in the function of the oil?
Get some Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP (make sure it says API SP on the back of the container), change the filter and oil, and please let us know if there is an improvement in your engines' sound quality. (y)

Now, if that doesn't help, I would try Red Line Euro 5W-30. Sounds like your engine is picky when it comes to oil, so might as well up your oil game. ;)

Get some Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP (make sure it says API SP on the back of the container), change the filter and oil, and please let us know if there is an improvement in your engines' sound quality. (y)

Now, if that doesn't help, I would try Red Line Euro 5W-30. Sounds like your engine is picky when it comes to oil, so might as well up your oil game. ;)
I mean he could try the opposite, run royal purple and see if it makes MORE NOISE because of its cleaning properties, and then let it run to see if it becomes quieter. Hear way too many stories of people putting RP in their higher mileage cars only to hear more noise because its removing all the sludge and varnish.

One of the best diagnostic tools a good mechanic can possess is being able to hear, and know how to diagnosis problems by listening. Having said that if you go from brand x 5W30 to brand y 5w30 and the engine is making more noise with brand y. Switch back, no need to debate UOA results, make the change.

I mean he could try the opposite, run royal purple and see if it makes MORE NOISE because of its cleaning properties, and then let it run to see if it becomes quieter. Hear way too many stories of people putting RP in their higher mileage cars only to hear more noise because its removing all the sludge and varnish.
That makes no sense at all. You “hear” this but have you ever seen it happen? RP does not have the base stock composition required to clean.

I Just must mention that pro engine builders and proper mechanics and drivers have been using engine sound, harmonics and noises as a partial assessment of engine health since time immemorial.

I have been a vocal proponent of QS FS 10w30 in my Ecosport 2.0L D.I engine. Last year I installed that oil around this time, and the car ran fantastic all summer through fall and showed good fuel mileage , and when drained at end of the OCI came out looking great for a D.I run. This past winter I ran QS 5w20 - it is much nosier hot, but the car ran good enough.

Hoping to repeat last years success with the QS, which - showed no evidence of its 10w30 grade in bogging the engine -
I installed the same with the same motorcraft oil filter (in my signature below). Well this time, the oil felt like thick goo - even warmed, and the engine had lost its spritelyness - even though fuel mileage improved (3mpg long term ave) over the winter run. It just wasn't running "right". Even the filter was dripping a bit - and it was on tight enough.

What to do? So, yesterday afternoon I decided to drain 3/4 quart and substitute some 5w20 I had left over from other fills. The oil drained came out surprisingly slow - though it was cold that afternoon - being a bit under 50F ambient and raining. I actually had to cap and drain it twice to just get a long 1/2 of a quart out. I was soggy and I wasn't going back for thirds t get that 3/4 out.

Haven't driven the car yet today. Don't expect a huge difference but we will see.

My overall point is - with allowable substitutions in base stocks and allowable variations within a grade - you never know what you are going to get year to year.

I am very disappointed. This lube was " magic" on its first run but not even recommendable on its second.

I would not read too much into small differences in noise - just when the car is not performing properly AND it's noisy with odd harmonics I would then start investigating. Regular noisy starts could be a filter issue.

- Ken

Last edited:
I would stay with your QS 10w-30 FS. year round in VA. And don't use HM oil.
Why stay away from HM?

I would like to stay with the QS FS because it’s cheap and local. We’ll see how it dines at the end of this service.

As others have said, you can't expect to hear the difference of a different oil. Also, even in this case, would very much doubt that you would be able to measure any change in fuel economy between the two oils (that is related to the oils).

I Just must mention that pro engine builders and proper mechanics and drivers have been using engine sound, harmonics and noises as a partial assessment of engine health since time immemorial.

- Ken

never met a professional mechanic worth the title who ever blamed an engine noise on a particular brand of oil.. lack of oil,, yes... lack of maintenance , yes,, but brand of oil? highly unlikely.
SKS 104.JPG

Back