End of life of electronic devices

LDB

What's the end of life status of your devices and products? Here's where to find out. My 4 year old iPhone is about half way there. Lucky for me I don't have a Huiwei phone which, although not in their database, has only half the lifespan of an iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.....recency rings true for this with me. Our 13 year old dryer shot craps last weekend (drum motor). Made it through the height of raising 3 boys with all of their household laundry. Wife's PC is also on the blink. Trying to determine if the screen is bad. PC is only 2 years old. Lenovo Yoga 6.

for me, if it is an appliance or electronic and it last ten years, that is about all I hope for. If it goes longer than that, good..

A lot depends on how much you use it. My inkjet printer is over 10 years old and works as good as new, but only prints maybe a dozen pages a week. How would that site tell when it's end of life is with any accuracy?

A lot depends on how much you use it. My inkjet printer is over 10 years old and works as good as new, but only prints maybe a dozen pages a week. How would that site tell when it's end of life is with any accuracy?

End of life is when the manufacturer no longer offers replacement parts, technical support, or software/firmware upgrades.

End of life is when the manufacturer no longer offers replacement parts, technical support, or software/firmware upgrades.
When I read, End of life, it sounds like when the device dies. Maybe a more accurate term OP could have used is End of support. Just because it doesn't have replacement parts, tech support or upgrades, doesn't mean it isn't usable.

California requires repair parts be available for seven years after a device is last manufactured. At least over a certain price and if there’s a warranty. A lot of manufacturers make it their minimum standard.

Apple used to be specific about it, where they guaranteed a minimum five years repair support but made an exception for California. But it got specific. Macs in that window of 5-7 years could be serviced at an authorized service center but not Apple Stores. iPhones in that window could be serviced at Apple Stores but not authorized service centers. They’ve changed it now. They say maybe Mac batteries will be supported up to 10 years. Maybe.

But repair support can be odd sometimes, especially if it really means replacement with a remanufactured device at a high price point.

I used end of life because they used it. But yes, it is end of support after which some additional life will be had. I found it interesting how long things are actually good compared to how quickly people foolishly discard them.

When I read, End of life, it sounds like when the device dies. Maybe a more accurate term OP could have used is End of support. Just because it doesn't have replacement parts, tech support or upgrades, doesn't mean it isn't usable.

The industry term is end of life. Perhaps because they'd really like you to think the product will die on that date so you'll buy a new one.

California requires repair parts be available for seven years after a device is last manufactured. At least over a certain price and if there’s a warranty.

Pretty sure I've heard of automotive parts being discontinued sooner than that. (Many people think that automotive parts are required to be available for 10 years. No law requires that).

The DoD and NASA have been dealing with "diminishing sources" parts for years. Especially when they're using non-military spec parts or ones where it's pretty much impossible to keep a semiconductor fab making the same process for more than a decade.

People still drive 100 year old Model Ts. Wonder when was the last time they brought one into the dealer for an oil change.
Hobbyists will always keep things running including electronics if there is demand. Gameboys of early 1990s are restored and sold for good money because demand exists….

My laptop is a 2013 Lenovo ThinkPad. I just spent the last couple hours on it updating my budget and truck repair spreadsheets. It still works great although the extended battery lasts only a couple of hours now, when it used to last something like 6 hours plus.

My phone is a 2020 LG v60. They don't make phones anymore (since 2021) but it has still been getting updates and security patches. I will use it for a couple more years hopefully before I upgrade to a Samsung or a pixel but i will be losing several features that are important to me.

Hobbyists will always keep things running including electronics if there is demand. Gameboys of early 1990s are restored and sold for good money because demand exists….

Those are different though. That was well before portable devices connected to the internet and pretty much everything was fixed and couldn't receive any firmware updates. They were all self-contained, as opposed to modern electronic devices where most of the utility comes from an ability to connect to the internet. There are some game platforms where there's been concern that the manufacturer would discontinue connectivity that allowed people to connect remotely for updates or interconnectivity with other users.

I wonder if I can find my Atari Lynx that I bought when I was in college. I suppose that might be worth something.

Last edited:
Back