End of life of electronic devices

Why does a thermostat need a cloud service? I thought thermostats were just temperature sensitive switches

Why does a thermostat need a cloud service? I thought thermostats were just temperature sensitive switches

When it can be controlled by the user away from home or even at home. Or maybe just monitored remotely. But it might still need to go through a central server to work. I know I can't even get Amazon Alexa to do the most basic things (like set a timer) without access to their server.

fnz7CmnEbr7w_OUc7XYe-AjJjuJAwab7TDYGVaTrBeaqTXzKKVWs4QsyqXBZlt89uGA=w2560-h1440

When it can be controlled by the user away from home or even at home. Or maybe just monitored remotely. But it might still need to go through a central server to work.

I looked and I found exactly one thermostat that can be controlled remotely and doesn't need a cloud service to work. It costs $500. It has a built-in webserver, like every $25 router out there.

Why nobody makes a thermostat with a built-in webserver that costs less than $500 is beyond me.

What's the end of life status of your devices and products? Here's where to find out. My 4 year old iPhone is about half way there. Lucky for me I don't have a Huiwei phone which, although not in their database, has only half the lifespan of an iPhone.

Luckily this thread is about consumer electronics, I was thinking you had a relative in the hospital on Life Support when I read the thread title.

☺️

Long time ago I was repairing ventilators for hospitals.

Last edited:
The only thing that prevents a device from being useful completely is security loopholes. Everything else the carriers can always extend if they want to support it. Of course it is cheaper to retire older phones and cable modems instead of keeping them around, they can refarm the bandwidths for newer devices and sell to more customers for the same price, at your cost.

"End of Life" doesn't mean it is too slow to use, so it make sense to keep buying newer but slower devices than older high end ones.

Hobbyists will always keep things running including electronics if there is demand. Gameboys of early 1990s are restored and sold for good money because demand exists….
The problem though, is if they find a new security problem that cannot be fixed. Say those WEP wifi protocol that can be cracked by brute force very fast, if your device and router only use that then yes they are "end of life", despite it still function just like the day it was manufactured.

For consumers not keeping data on it (i.e. only use it to watch "movies" online) it is not a problem. For industrial device running on it like ATM machine, or measurement equipment like a logic analyzer, that's a huge problem because 1) they can cost 20k each or more, and 2) they don't sell enough of it to justify a redesign. This is why sometimes when an ATM crashes they are stuck in Windows XP boot screen...

I looked and I found exactly one thermostat that can be controlled remotely and doesn't need a cloud service to work. It costs $500. It has a built-in webserver, like every $25 router out there.

Why nobody makes a thermostat with a built-in webserver that costs less than $500 is beyond me.
That build in webserver will one day be obsolete too.

That build in webserver will one day be obsolete too.

I don't see the https protocol going obsolete anytime soon.

If it has security flaws, well, you don't expose your thermostat's built-in webserver to the public internet. If that's what you want to do, just go get one of those cloud-controlled ones.

My Pixel 7 gets active support for 2 years and security updates for 4 more years.

The security updates would be my biggest concern on any phone.

Whether I'll upgrade in 2 years or 4, I haven't decided.

Because I’m lazy and cannot be bothered to get out of bed to adjust the thermostat if I’m cold or hot. It’s also nice being able to keep track of run time.

This thermostat also lets me set the fan to “circulate” so it’ll occasionally kick just the fan on (no heat or AC) and move air around the house, which has helped immensely with the temperature differential between the upstairs and downstairs, though that function doesn’t rely on cloud services.

IMG_8559.png
IMG_8558.png

Yikes, I hope that 67 is furnace setting not A/C setting for utility bill survival.
Yes, 67F for heating is the happy medium my wife and I have found… she ideally would like a bit cooler and I’d like a bit hotter but this is good.

The numbers turn blue when it’s set to cooling, orange for heating and black when off. Furnace is a 95% 60k BTU York with a 14 SEER 1.5 ton York AC unit, they’re not that energy hungry thankfully.

Huawei numbers might be skewed - they are banned by the government so the Play Store no longer supports it, and cellular service providers block them.
I'm on my second Huawei as we speak. The first one was 6 years old when the battery gave up, the one I have now is 5 years old and still going strong, so I probably keep it for a few more years.
Okay - I don't get the latest android OS anymore, but I also couldn't care less - playstore still works just fine though.

Yes, 67F for heating is the happy medium my wife and I have found… she ideally would like a bit cooler and I’d like a bit hotter but this is good.

The numbers turn blue when it’s set to cooling, orange for heating and black when off. Furnace is a 95% 60k BTU York with a 14 SEER 1.5 ton York AC unit, they’re not that energy hungry thankfully.
Our furnace compromise is 68 with the same cooler for her warmer for me. On A/C it's 77 with me wanting 76 and 79 being ok with her.

Back