Empty lots

I saw a Suzuki Kashi for sale for decent amount!
It might be a decent cool car but it’s a unicorn. If I had a weird car I’d dump it NOW!

I agree with you both.

1. We do...

2. If that's not good enough for you, we make the market.
Obviously we don't make the market, or at least not the vocal ones who want crank windows and manual transmissions. What new vehicles come so equipped here in North America?

Obviously we don't make the market, or at least not the vocal ones who want crank windows and manual transmissions. What new vehicles come so equipped here in North America?
This is echoed on various car forums. Since sales numbers are so low on manual transmissions (when they are offered) on certain models, it's a safe bet to conclude it's the same guys posting this on forums across the web. The two latest issues are start/stop and push button ignition. The later I frankly don't understand-having one vehicle with a push button and the other with keys. But those two gripes are in all likelihood a losing battle as well.

Last edited:
This is echoed on various car forums. Since sales numbers on so low on manual transmissions (when they are offered) on certain models, it's a safe bet to conclude it's the same guys posting this on forums across the web. The two latest issues are start/stop and push button ignition. The later I frankly don't understand-having one vehicle with a push button and the other with keys. But those two gripes are in all likelihood a losing battle as well.
I have to admit, I do love the convenience of the key fob that stays in the pocket. No fumbling for keys while trying to balance an umbrella and other item in hand.

OR-having to take your gloves off-to get in to your pocket for your keys when it's winter and cold.

And then you drop your keys in the snow and have to dig around to find them.

I have never understood the key versus fob/passive entry argument either. I’m a senior and I prefer the fob

OR-having to take your gloves off-to get in to your pocket for your keys when it's winter and cold.
Still have to take a mitten off to work the push start button though, along with working the various controls. I only lock my car at a few stores so I could dig them out of a pocket once in the car, usually its not locked though.

As much as the fob is nice, my wallet still prefers keys. I had two keys cut for $3 for my beater. I used to buy a set of tires for I read about key fob price!

Still have to take a mitten off to work the push start button though, along with working the various controls. I only lock my car at a few stores so I could dig them out of a pocket once in the car, usually its not locked though.

As much as the fob is nice, my wallet still prefers keys. I had two keys cut for $3 for my beater. I used to buy a set of tires for I read about key fob price!
It is true fobs can be expensive. But they should last the life of the vehicle unless dropped and broken, lost, or stolen. Maybe your vehicle is different-but-I wear heavy gloves and can push the button without issue on my wife's Santa Fe. Here in Salt Lake it's not the 60's anymore and one should always lock their vehicles.

It is true fobs can be expensive. But they should last the life of the vehicle unless dropped and broken, lost, or stolen. Maybe your vehicle is different-but-I wear heavy gloves and can push the button without issue on my wife's Santa Fe. Here in Salt Lake it's not the 60's anymore and one should always lock their vehicles.
Never tried the push start while wearing gloves or mittens, wife rarely lets me drive it.

I don’t lock my car in my driveway, at work or at most of the local stores. If I head out shopping to the larger towns I’ll lock, but that is like every other for a nusiance.

But locking/unlocking certainly was easier when I had RKE. I do miss that on occasion, although it just hasn’t been much of a problem.

Car lots are PACKED FULL with brand new cars in mid-Michigan (Lansing). I just drove by them today (covered in snow)..........Just waiting to make it to dealer lots. ;)

1641148849824.png

1641148915976.png

1641149015405.png

Last edited:
Dealers here do that because the county charges a tax on the inventory of cars on the lot on January 1. So they move all the cars to an adjacent county with a lower tax rate for one day.
That seems a bit much as they should support the county they choose to operate in...

So we are involved with the manufacture and distribution of petroleum-based products as well as vehicles?

This is what I mean by make the market.

We aren't swayed by marketing but we actually manufacture the product and distribute them......

We don't know if they are waiting for chips or not......
Local news seems to indicate chip supply is the major cause. I imagine other causes contribute, such as truck and rail delivery.
"GM isn’t saying how many microchips it has or where they came from. It will only say it doesn’t anticipate another shutdown. Experts believe the global chip shortage is going to last deep into next year."

Realize, my first post was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Wishing everyone a great 2022 and beyond. Let's hope things level out in all aspects.

Reactions: CKN
We don't know if they are waiting for chips or not......
They might be but there are plenty of components and other things produced domestically as well as elsewhere, someone tried to get all hung up on China earlier in the thread but the truth is things are produced from all over the world that go into a car.

I like how they toss around the term "microchip". I've not see a macrochip, at least not yet. Maybe it's macro if it gets over 4mm on a side? That would be pretty big.

Anyhow. IC's tend to be rather specialized, and not all that interchangeable. Getting a batch of them isn't saying much: a car no doubt has microprocessors of several flavors, RAM, ROM, amplifiers, voltage regulators, voltage convertors, CAN transceivers, and a whole host of different microchips. Leave out one and it's not going to work. Saying GM got a batch of microchips is like saying they got truckload of bolts.

So we are involved with the manufacture and distribution of petroleum-based products as well as vehicles?

This is what I mean by make the market.

We aren't swayed by marketing but we actually manufacture the product and distribute them......
I was using market in terms of the list of buyers for a product. I.E. buyers in the new car market. I thought that was obvious from the context. Perhaps we are missing one another here in terms of understanding. I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

I was using market in terms of the list of buyers for a product. I.E. buyers in the new car market. I thought that was obvious from the context. Perhaps we are missing one another here in terms of understanding. I am not sure what you are trying to say here.
Well I appreciate you at least asking and pointing out what you see.

I legitimately feel like you misconstrued what I was trying to say. I said that we do make the market. Perhaps what I should have said is that we do manufacture the market. Meaning yes literally as far as the physical products that we buy in the store that compromise the market of oil and things like that. You said you felt like it was obvious that you meant buyers in the market and the people that buy things and I would say to you that I felt that when I said we made the market I was referring to the products it was not exactly obvious to me.

There is no harm in talking this is a discussion for I'm so I think everything is totally fine, did I do a good job of explaining why I typed that we do make the market

Well I appreciate you at least asking and pointing out what you see.

I legitimately feel like you misconstrued what I was trying to say. I said that we do make the market. Perhaps what I should have said is that we do manufacture the market. Meaning yes literally as far as the physical products that we buy in the store that compromise the market of oil and things like that. You said you felt like it was obvious that you meant buyers in the market and the people that buy things and I would say to you that I felt that when I said we made the market I was referring to the products it was not exactly obvious to me.

There is no harm in talking this is a discussion for I'm so I think everything is totally fine, did I do a good job of explaining why I typed that we do make the market
No harm and I think I understand, thanks.

My biggest concern is the cloning that seems possible of the signal from the fob-unless you leave your fob in a Faraday or lead box at night. Losing them gets expensive too.

Back