Empty lots

Glad I'm not in the market for a new car or truck right now. I used to like checking out dealer inventories of new cars and trucks on a couple of Sunday afternoons (no sales staff) each fall, to see what's new and changed. It's a bit unsettling to see all the lots so empty these days.
Fun fact: My father has a 2022 vehicle (not a Toyota) has less than 12,000 miles on it, leasing, perfect, etc.. for whatever reason, the dealership he leaves from wanted it back so bad that they are basically giving him a 2022 or 2023 whatever one it is for free to get it back from him, they must have it sold already.

You'd think it counter productive but, in this today day and age, everything seems to be for Right now, never mind what comes later.

Not sure exactly what was going on but maybe they had a buyer that paid big bucks for one that has his exact options pack, send it on over to detail, do some paperwork and send it out the door and my Dad the preferred customer will get one of the new ones since they get in "a few."

It is still sold before anyone that walks in the door looking to buy can get a chance to...

Don’t be ridiculous... Elvis is hanging on to them.
Wrong again.. I am actually the fellow from Slumdog Millionaire and every couple of days I go into the dealership, write them a big check, then they divert the car transports to a huge empty lot I have in Missouri. They unload them, and my friends and I play Car Football then go and do it all over again and they sit. Sometimes, I even sell one since I can get almost $100,000 for a Corolla in this insanity. Money is nothing to me.

This is a sarcastic post.

Did you just discover this? The local Dodge/Jeep/Sheep dealer seems to have the most new inventory. I know a salesman and every new Toyota, Subaru, GMC, and Buick are sold before the truck gets then here.
Yes, just yesterday.

In 2022, all new car manufacturers will be partnering with Ebay Motors to auction all new inventory. Bidding to start at MSRP+10% but free shipping.

This is a sarcastic post.

I drove by our smaller town dealers (Ford, GM, and Chrysler) over my two weeks off (sadly, ending soon)..

Wide open lots, with the few trucks and cars in inventory bunched up near the roadside. The Chrysler dealer has a hand-lettered sign up on the service department door stating they want to “buy your car!” I had stopped in to price some small parts for my sister-in-law and her Town & Country van.

The same dealer has been mailing me, asking to buy my 2015 Ram 1500. Except I traded it to a dealer at an inflated price last May after I told their sales guy they could take it for more.. they declined. Too bad for them. 😁

I wonder if they’d go for my 2021 Ram 2500 with less than 3000 miles? 🤔😜

I drove by our smaller town dealers (Ford, GM, and Chrysler) over my two weeks off (sadly, ending soon)..

Wide open lots, with the few trucks and cars in inventory bunched up near the roadside. The Chrysler dealer has a hand-lettered sign up on the service department door stating they want to “buy your car!” I had stopped in to price some small parts for my sister-in-law and her Town & Country van.

The same dealer has been mailing me, asking to buy my 2015 Ram 1500. Except I traded it to a dealer at an inflated price last May after I told their sales guy they could take it for more.. they declined. Too bad for them. 😁

I wonder if they’d go for my 2021 Ram 2500 with less than 3000 miles? 🤔😜
If nothing else, in thinking on it, the dealer does get a sales lot that’s way easier to clear with the ton of snow we got up here the last few days…

I see that in the new lots. I must have driven by 20 dealerships this week and the used lots seemed pretty full to me.
That's what I see as well. I'm surprised new car dealers aren't at least buying auction cars to put on their used-car lots to help with sales.

A nearby Honda dealer has (28) new vehicles on their lot (according to their website). ZERO Accords. Half of their new models are HR-Vs with the rest pretty even between Civic sedans, Pilots, Odysseys, etc.

That's what I see as well. I'm surprised new car dealers aren't at least buying auction cars to put on their used-car lots to help with sales.

A nearby Honda dealer has (28) new vehicles on their lot (according to their website). ZERO Accords. Half of their new models are HR-Vs with the rest pretty even between Civic sedans, Pilots, Odysseys, etc.

My question to you would be, who would want the new Accord vs the K24 ones.

Of all the various people groups out there, car makers would have to be the absolute last ones on my list of people I'd think advocating for this.
It very well may be that we have too many dealers chasing too few new car buyers.
Time for downsizing.

I went to DMV today. Two people registering cars one was me. About 5 were getting licenses, probably due to the new ID rules on flights. So there is a good side. I was out in ten minutes from enter to leave. So if six people per hour go through they have an office open for 50 people instead of probably 500 per day. The rows of chairs were empty except I sat in the first chair on the end. My number came up within a minute.

I went to DMV today. Two people registering cars one was me. About 5 were getting licenses, probably due to the new ID rules on flights. So there is a good side. I was out in ten minutes from enter to leave. So if six people per hour go through they have an office open for 50 people instead of probably 500 per day. The rows of chairs were empty except I sat in the first chair on the end. My number came up within a minute.
And they also mail licenses now due to a security change, at least a lot of places do.

So, you got handed one, some places either cut that step out or tell you to watch the mail.

Mine came up for renewal, it is getting mailed, didn't even have to go at all.

You do realize it's New Years eve. Many places are closing at noon or 1pm and some employees are just staying home.
I went Thursday, but true. Today was DMV.

Last edited:
Back