Empty lots

Job

I went to pick up some parts at a Toyota dealer. Showroom completely empty, no one around. Outside both the new car and used car lots were bare, maybe 8-10 cars, if that. No wonder they are offering a 2007 Prius with 90k for $11,995. Parts dept. quite busy with getting orders filled. Service dept looked busy too. I guess they have people waiting to buy nearly every new car that gets delivered. So foreign made chips can take it all down, interesting.

I have had the same exact experience at dealers both foreign and domestics in my area. Service writers have also been turned into procurement buyers for the dealers.

For fun, last night I looked online at a dealer that I tend to go to. Over half of their vehicles were shown as being on the truck, delivery expected within 120 days. I think they only had a handful of vehicles with actual photos, and they were all above $50k.

Yep it's been like that for quite some time. It's weird to see so many empty dealership lots.

Was in a mazda dealer recently , chatted up the parts guy he said they are laying off sales staff two new cars on the lot and maybe half dozen used.

I see that in the new lots. I must have driven by 20 dealerships this week and the used lots seemed pretty full to me. If you want a pre-owned vehicle, it looks like you can still find what you want.

Toyota was hit really hard with new car shortages in October and continuing. Toy dealerships are on allocation and some are getting 10 cars a month in my area. Any new is pre-sold, and just waiting on delivery.
I work at a Jeep Ram Dodge store, our inventory is good, over 200 new and preowned on the lot. 20 New trucks and Jeeps dropped this week alone. Sales are good for us.

Toyota was hit really hard with new car shortages in October and continuing. Toy dealerships are on allocation and some are getting 10 cars a month in my area. Any new is pre-sold, and just waiting on delivery.
I work at a Jeep Ram Dodge store, our inventory is good, over 200 new and preowned on the lot. 20 New trucks and Jeeps dropped this week alone. Sales are good for us.
that’s interesting. which models are most in stock? higher priced or across the board? made in north america or mexico or europe or all origins? thanks danno.

I went to pick up some parts at a Toyota dealer. Showroom completely empty, no one around. Outside both the new car and used car lots were bare, maybe 8-10 cars, if that. No wonder they are offering a 2007 Prius with 90k for $11,995. Parts dept. quite busy with getting orders filled. Service dept looked busy too. I guess they have people waiting to buy nearly every new car that gets delivered. So foreign made chips can take it all down, interesting.

Did you just discover this? The local Dodge/Jeep/Sheep dealer seems to have the most new inventory. I know a salesman and every new Toyota, Subaru, GMC, and Buick are sold before the truck gets then here.

Did you just discover this? The local Dodge/Jeep/Sheep dealer seems to have the most new inventory. I know a salesman and every new Toyota, Subaru, GMC, and Buick are sold before the truck gets then here.
Yep, having a vehicle sold before it even gets delivered appears to be what everyone wants to get to now.

Business is booming where I'm at.. Catch up, people.

Not nearly every new car, every new car. So you are correct.

Inventory is waste..

Side note: Poster Danno is in Canada so post may not be (is not) reflective of USA situation. For clarity.

that’s interesting. which models are most in stock? higher priced or across the board? made in north america or mexico or europe or all origins? thanks danno.
Rams (Mexico) and Wranglers, Durangos, Grand Cherokee Ls, from US plants are in stock.

Cherokees, Compass are not in stock.

I have a friend who's wife works at the Bramalea Charger plant. They are shut down and have been for months.

Their chip allocation is being directed to higher margin manufacturing plants - which makes sense in a shortage.

With the new vehicles, options are limited, no pano roofs for example, due to the shortage.

Glad I'm not in the market for a new car or truck right now. I used to like checking out dealer inventories of new cars and trucks on a couple of Sunday afternoons (no sales staff) each fall, to see what's new and changed. It's a bit unsettling to see all the lots so empty these days.

Back