Emergency equipment in the trunk

I have always carried an storage box in my trunk with some emergency items:
- a quart of oil;
- folding, universal tire iron;
- tire plug kit plus adhesive;
- small medicine kit;
- tire inflator.
- I also carry a separate booster pack/jump starter separately.

I just bought a box specifically designed for this purpose on Temu so it's time to reassess the content of the box.

What do you think I should add/remove/change? I think I need a rechargeable flashlight and a small tool kit but not sure what kind.

Here is the box:
30 liter box

I carry more than what I need.......but you really cant put a value on some electrical kit if you are in the middle of nowhere and need it.

Years ago, we were at Cape Lookout in the OBX of NC. A wire had came out of its bracket and melted on the exhaust. The 4wd went out. After 30 minutes of figuring, I was able to find the wire, and fix it in the field with a length of wire and a couple connectors.=priceless. If you have never been to Cape Lookout, it is 20 miles of virgin beach, with no help, on an island. Any toeing or mobile service is big$.

I carry some wire and connectors of variuos types
a full kit of fuses,
some electrical parts,
duct tape, electrical tape,
a tire plug kit,
ATF ( can be used to top off almost everything)
shotgun and some spare shells
socket set
jumper cables
air compressor
first aid kit
go bag with full kit
tarp
coveralls ( for working out stuff and not getting dirty)

and I am sure I am missing a few things

should fit in your box, nice box

Interesting...your emergency pack is vehicle focused...what about the occupants?

Water, high carb snacks, reflective blanket, basic first aid kit, etc...
Generally, if we are goingg out there......we have a cooler with a bunch of food and water of course. The above list is just for the vehicle, which by in large never leaves. All other loadouts are mission specific.
sub loadout.jpg

Last edited:
In my truck is a similar black plastic box, containing a decent tool set, with pliers, screwdrivers, allen, torx, sockets and good wrenches. Tire plugs, an inflator, tow strap, lifting straps, rope, duct tape. I also have a good set (all copper) of jumper cables and a jump box. There is a duffel bag in the cab with a warm coat, gloves, a hat, scarf, and blanket. I keep a couple of water bottles, and I think there is an MRE in the box.

I am prepared to fix most things, as well as to spend the night, perhaps more, in inclement weather.

Many times, when I lived in Vermont, I was the only car on the road, late at night, in the snow. A wreck, or breakdown, brought the very real possibility of spending the night. In sub-zero weather. The kit back then included a sleeping bag, too.

Since buying the Tundra, and moving the kit over from the 4Runner, the only thing I’ve used the tool kit for was assembling IKEA furniture when helping my kids move into college dorms, or apartments.

But I cannot imagine being on the road with at least a bit of self-sufficiency.

Dang you all carry a lot of stuff. I have a jump box and a small first aid kit. Then again i work close to home and really never leave the suburbs. Location is relevant i suppose.

I have always carried an storage box in my trunk with some emergency items:
- a quart of oil;
- folding, universal tire iron;
- tire plug kit plus adhesive;
- small medicine kit;
- tire inflator.
- I also carry a separate booster pack/jump starter separately.

I just bought a box specifically designed for this purpose on Temu so it's time to reassess the content of the box.

What do you think I should add/remove/change? I think I need a rechargeable flashlight and a small tool kit but not sure what kind.

Here is the box:
30 liter box
In my SUV I keep mini traction boards, a medkit, an old winter jacket, and a flashlight.

In my truck (which has a rear locker and winch) I keep a medkit, tool kit, survival kit, extra jacket, snatch block, bottle jack, and leveling blocks (for bottle jack).

A small flashlight or two.

A blanket, old army green wool type, from a surplus store…

Check your fuses carefully. Some of the assorted kits are missing a few sizes, and the big main fuses are impossible to find.

The Smart uses a 40 amp ATC fuse as mains..

My Saturn uses a 30 and a 50 amp Maxi fuse as mains,

Jacket

Reflective belt, and led safety flares…

I also carry a little bag with a complete fire starting kit including canned matches and a fire log for any winter travel. If you are ever trapped somewhere in real cold weather, never leave your car unless absolutely necessary. Your car is the best shelter available and is easier for searchers to find.

Esbit stove, solid fuel powered..
It is about the size of two decks of playing cards…

Small camping cook set,

Field wipes, much larger than baby wipes.
Kroger® Alcohol Free All Purpose Washcloths
https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-alcohol-free-all-purpose-washcloths/0004126035845

Waterproof matches, in a container

Ramen soup, canned food…

Last edited:
Since I use mostly BMW for skiing trips, 1-2 times a week:
- Tire inflator
- Fix a flat (car does have spare).
- Set of tools
- LED flares.
- Usually around gallon of drinking water.
- High-calorie snack bars.
- Blanket
- Battery pack for cell phone (big one and small for skiing. Small just in case I break a leg and I am somewhere off the slope).
- Knife.
- A bottle opener.
- Flashlight
- Jump Cables

VW Atlas (our road trip car, biking, sometimes skiing when kids go with me):
- Tire inflator.
- Fix a flat (there is a spare).
- LED flares.
- Blankets.
- 1-2 gallons of fresh water.
- Bunch of snacks (high calory, chips etc).
- Set of tools.
- Two walkie talkies.
- Battery packs for cell phones (one big, one small).
- quart of oil (this car makes road trips usually in xxxx amount of miles).
- Sun screens, insect repellants, bear sprays.
- Knives for self defense (mountain lions) and cutting food.
- Bottle opener.
- Flashlight
- Jump cables.

Tiguan (mostly short distances).

- Tire inflator (has spare).
- Jump cables
- Knife.

ALL cars have a fire extinguisher, and first aid kit.

Net
Rope
Tarp
Folding saw and shovel
Work gloves

I'm not going to list everything again - just the funny ones. About 35 lbs of gear. In an old post, there's a picture of the two cargo containers and the first aid kit I carry in the Mini.

Back