EDGE 5W-40 now in 5qt jugs at WM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And according to a Castrol rep, it will have MB 229.5 approval by October. Would not be surprised to see it replace 0W-40 (which is currently priced $2 cheaper at ~$23).

Edge 5w40 has been available in 5qt jugs for quite some time.

Good to see its going to meet mb 229.5 spec now - means Noack has improved.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Not that I have seen here on the left coast. I noticed all the reviews for it on WM’s website are from spring 2018 and newer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Same here; been on the shelf for quite some time now.

Some WM here carry it and some don't. Where it is sold, EDGE 0W-40 is also available.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
News to me, thanks! Btw... do you know why they don't market more diesel oils to the US?

Because we don't have that many diesel outside of large trucks, and that market is well covered.

Might be a dumb question but how does the 5w-40 stack up to the 0w-40? I have personally run the 0w-40 in my old S3 and it returned very good UOA. I always hear how great the 0w-40 is but don't hear much about this 5w-40? Anyone have VOA or UOA of it?

Originally Posted By: Vigg
Might be a dumb question but how does the 5w-40 stack up to the 0w-40? I have personally run the 0w-40 in my old S3 and it returned very good UOA. I always hear how great the 0w-40 is but don't hear much about this 5w-40? Anyone have VOA or UOA of it?

5W-40 doesn’t look as good on paper (mainly due to lack of 229.5), and is frequently trashed here when compared to 0W-40. However, I think a lot of that is just opinion. I don’t know anyone that has stacked them up against each other in a like for like comparison.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
And according to a Castrol rep, it will have MB 229.5 approval by October. Would not be surprised to see it replace 0W-40 (which is currently priced $2 cheaper at ~$23).

Could be that European version of 5W40 is coming if there is move toward MB229.5.
Castrol is making US version and European version.
European met MB229.5 since introduction of that specification. It would be good if they make same version as Euro version looks good.

Originally Posted By: Vigg

I used 5W40 for some time in Passat 1.8T. After 4k valve lifters would start to get noisy. Once I moved to Castrol 0W30 that never happened. Since then I avoid 5W40 like it has plague.

Originally Posted by supercity
Will Edge 5w-40 retain LL-01?. With the changes to LL-01, the upgrade will probably now easily cover 229.5

I thought LL-01 went through change couple of years ago?

Originally Posted by Vigg

The 5W-40 is missing the titanium. So can it be assumed to be inferior? At my Walmart the 0W-40 price is not discounted, unlike the 5W-40. Perhaps nothing can be read into the price difference since prices fluctuate anyway.

Originally Posted by SandCastle
Originally Posted by Vigg

The 5W-40 is missing the titanium. So can it be assumed to be inferior? At my Walmart the 0W-40 price is not discounted, unlike the 5W-40. Perhaps nothing can be read into the price difference since prices fluctuate anyway.

It is not Titanium, difference is in base oil and additives. Generally 5W40 is on cheaper side (do not confuse that with price in Wal Mart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back