Ecoboost mustang long term reliability

I have a 2016 2.3L Mustang EB. The first engine failed at 61,000 miles, the replacement failed at 35,000 miles. I have a Mishimoto intercooler which is better than stock, Ford Performance CAI with its Ford Tune, and a catch can. I drive spirited and I live in Coachella Valley. If it goes below 100° that feels like fall to me. I would not suggest a 4 cylinder turbo anything. Unless its a Subaru under warranty or extended service agreement. I spoke to a lawyer who said he makes a good living off the ecoboom. I love my car when it is running. If you get one with MagneRide and the High Performace (special order around $41,000, it might be worth it) just trade it before the warranty is up. Why not a peppy Honda? Probably what I will buy while I am waiting to see whats covered for parts on my EB, now a week in the shop.

Yes, why not the peppy Honda turbo with fuel dilution issues?

Also, any time you modify and tune an engine, don't be surprised if it fails early.

My wife dailys a 2017 ecoboost Mustang. Factory down to the paper air filter. 5000 mile oci with pennzoil plat. 50000 miles still getting 30 or so mpg on highway trips. No power train problems so far

Yes, why not the peppy Honda turbo with fuel dilution issues?

Also, any time you modify and tune an engine, don't be surprised if it fails early.
Like I said it's a FORD Tune, the one that comes with the FORD Cold Air Intake designed to go on the car, and it was installed by a FORD mechanic, at a FORD dealer. Under FORD warranty. All items on my car meet California CARB requirements. Funny, FORD said nothing about it failing early when they sold me the parts, installed them, and warranted them to be free of defects.

Like I said it's a FORD Tune, the one that comes with the FORD Cold Air Intake designed to go on the car, and it was installed by a FORD mechanic, at a FORD dealer. Under FORD warranty. All items on my car meet California CARB requirements. Funny, FORD said nothing about it failing early when they sold me the parts, installed them, and warranted them to be free of defects.

It happens. For every one of you there are 100 F150s that rack up many, many miles through hard conditions.

Maybe you had a bad install. I really think EcoBoosts are proven products, and that's coming from someone that hasn't owned a Ford in over 20 years.

There are a number of EB mustangs with high miles. I know of one with 143,000 miles and there is one online with 150,000 miles. They do hold up, even with a tune.

20200625_075328-jpg.481818

Reactions: NDL
Minor note. There’s a really detailed pdf floating around now on an analysis of the EB drivetrain and it includes fuel strategy. IIRC, the low pressure port fuel injection has a larger role at idle and low power conditions and it gradually shifts over to high pressure DI. Seems like the DI doesn’t really begin until more than 20% power or so is requested. The pdf was quite impressive, as it showed a ton of thought and design was implemented in these motors. As a drive most days and tow some days and throw things in the bed many days, I’ve never had an engine I’ve enjoyed more. Mines still pretty low mileage at this point.
m

It happens. For every one of you there are 100 F150s that rack up many, many miles through hard conditions.

Maybe you had a bad install. I really think EcoBoosts are proven products, and that's coming from someone that hasn't owned a Ford in over 20 years.
Maybe I should swap the bigger engine from the Ford pickup into my Mustang. That way I could benefit from the differing fuel systems in the different engines. PS you cannot, there is no room. Please. Try to know SOMETHING about the engine you are talking about. And let us keep this discussion to the 2.3L engine in the Mustang. Apples to apples, not apples to oranges comparisons. Does anybody even read on this forum? I guess I had 2 bad installs. Earlier on in this post I described how my factory installed engine failed at 61,000 miles, and the second install at the dealer failed at 35,000 miles. Also that I live in a very hot climate. I'm sure some go a very long time. In trucks and in Mustangs. I can only report my own experience, which I have done.

Last edited:
Hey guys the warranty is almost up on my wife's VW golf sportwagon and we will be looking to trade it in and also trade our way out of the $400 dollar new car payment into a sub $300 payment. I love my f150 2.7 eco so much that I'm considering the eco mustang circa 2015-16. She loves the looks as well as I and I think the ecoboost will be a great balance of miles per gallon and smiles per gallon. Been doing some searching and can't find any owners with experiences above 75k or so. Just hoping some folks here can chime in on overall reliability of the 2.3eco as well as the rest of the car. It would be the 6 speed auto. We travel constantly so the car will see many many interstate miles and about 30 percent city miles. Thanks for any info.
Did you buy another car? My 2016 EB Mustang has 96,000 miles and is on its third engine, or at least a rebuild of the 2cnd engine. Many California highway miles, and a bunch of mountain road driving as well. Cheers.

Last edited:
Maybe I should swap the bigger engine from the Ford pickup into my Mustang. That way I could benefit from the differing fuel systems in the different engines. PS you cannot, there is no room. Please. Try to know SOMETHING about the engine you are talking about. And let us keep this discussion to the 2.3L engine in the Mustang. Apples to apples, not apples to oranges comparisons. Does anybody even read on this forum? I guess I had 2 bad installs. Earlier on in this post I described how my factory installed engine failed at 61,000 miles, and the second install at the dealer failed at 35,000 miles. Also that I live in a very hot climate. I'm sure some go a very long time. In trucks and in Mustangs. I can only report my own experience, which I have done.

You called them EcoBooms. I'm just saying Ford has been very successful with turbocharging. Your climate isn't just hot, it's burning. I doubt anything below a GT PP2 level would do well in such a climate under spirited driving.

My wife's Mustang only has a few thousand miles on it. I was very satisfied with the 1.5 Turbo in the 16 Fusion, we drove it for 4.5 years without issue. Enough so to buy the Mustang Turbo to replace it.
Great mileage for road trips, about 32 MPG(calculated at fill up), at 70MPH down along the gulf coast flat lands.

Not to hikack the OP's thread, but how is the 2.3 Ecoboost in the new Ranger? Was it beefed up for truck usage, or is it the same 2.3L as in the Mustang?

Given that routine maintenance is performed, is this a 200k plus engine?

Not to hikack the OP's thread, but how is the 2.3 Ecoboost in the new Ranger? Was it beefed up for truck usage, or is it the same 2.3L as in the Mustang?

Given that routine maintenance is performed, is this a 200k plus engine?

It's more the Focus RS engine than the Mustang engine.

I've been following the Ranger since it came out, it's on my short list of trucks. They seem to be doing quite well! Apart from people complaining about the oil filter location and the whirr of the mechanical fan.

Reactions: NDL
You called them EcoBooms. I'm just saying Ford has been very successful with turbocharging. Your climate isn't just hot, it's burning. I doubt anything below a GT PP2 level would do well in such a climate under spirited driving.
I met a a GM tech at a party and we were talking shop the guy was brilliant he said when a turbo motor blows up is really blows up quick .Which is easy to understand and I still purchased the 2015 2.7 eco boost and back in 1977 bought a turbo charged semi . In the past 20 years I have owned a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 [probably the best so far vehicle I ever owned ] a 2010 Ford Focus .my daughters , a 2015 F150 and a 2018 F350 that replaced the 2002 F250 because the wife 's knee hurt too bad to drive the stick shift.

Last edited:
I met a a GM tech at a party and we were talking shop the guy was brilliant he said when a turbo motor blows up is really blows up quick .Which is easy to understand and I still purchased the 2015 2.7 eco boost and back in 1977 bought a turbo charged semi . In the past 20 years I have owned a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 [probably the best so far vehicle I ever owned ] a 2010 Ford Focus .my daughters , a 2015 F150 and a 2018 F350 that replaced the 2002 F250 because the wife 's knee hurt too bad to drive the stick shift.
It's interesting the OP asked about the 2.3L Mustang, and most people have supplied misinformation about the engine, or entirely irrelevant, or second hand information, in reply. I was the one who called MY engine, a 2.3L, which has blown up twice in 96,000 miles, an "eco-boom".
Is a 2.3 the same as a 2.7? NO, it is not.
Does the GM tech work on Ford 2.3 engines? Probably not.
Are turbo charged semis considered performance vehicles in the same way Mustangs are? No.
Is a 7.3 the same as a 2.3? No.
Do you know anything about the 2.3L Mustang engine? Probably not.
It would be great if folks could stay on the subject of this post. High mileage 2.3L Mustangs.
PS the larger eco boosts MAY use both port and direct injection systems, but the 2.3L ecoboost uses only Direct Injection. Contrary to what others have said on this forum.

It's interesting the OP asked about the 2.3L Mustang, and most people have supplied misinformation about the engine, or entirely irrelevant, or second hand information, in reply. I was the one who called MY engine, a 2.3L, which has blown up twice in 96,000 miles, an "eco-boom".
Is a 2.3 the same as a 2.7? NO, it is not.
Does the GM tech work on Ford 2.3 engines? Probably not.
Are turbo charged semis considered performance vehicles in the same way Mustangs are? No.
Is a 7.3 the same as a 2.3? No.
Do you know anything about the 2.3L Mustang engine? Probably not.
It would be great if folks could stay on the subject of this post. High mileage 2.3L Mustangs.
PS the larger eco boosts MAY use both port and direct injection systems, but the 2.3L ecoboost uses only Direct Injection. Contrary to what others have said on this forum.

...probably not a high concentration of folks on this forum with a wealth on 2.3L experience. I’m pretty sure the focus RS uses the same engine, a coworker of mine has one, drives it hard, needed a replacement HG early in life but has been solid since then, running a tune. If you want more 2.3-specific commentary, you may want to check with an EcoBoost forum. Your experience with it is pretty disappointing for anyone who’s experienced it.

Back