eBay buyer fraud advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this happen with a $500 item before. Buyer said it was broken & wanted money back. eBay will read all emails from both of you. be polite & ask for clearer pictures of the serial number & the original box with the shipping label to see if the box was damaged. Do all your correspondence through eBay only. Don't email outside of your eBay account. If the buyer doesn't provide good photos or documentation, you should win the dispute

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
NEVER give feedback before the buyer does

Interesting, I usually leave feedback as soon as I receive payment, as far as I'm concerned the buyer held up their end of the deal, and I have nothing to hide from...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What is the guys specific complaint?

He's stating that the cabinets are all scratched up, the grills are smashed and dented, the grills are falling off. Basically the complete opposite of what was sent to him...

Originally Posted By: BTW

Interesting, I usually leave feedback as soon as I receive payment, as far as I'm concerned the buyer held up their end of the deal, and I have nothing to hide from...

Except that you have no recourse against them pulling this sort of thing.

Except that you have no recourse against them pulling this sort of thing.

Yeah, it seems like I'm learning that lesson. I just feel that it's the ethical thing to do

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Did you check his ebay buyer rating?

Yes, seems fine to me

What is the guys specific complaint?

He's stating that the cabinets are all scratched up, the grills are smashed and dented, the grills are falling off. Basically the complete opposite of what was sent to him...

I agree, ask for photographs of them and the packaging, including the serial numbers....

Hope it works out. He declined shipping insurance?

Yeah, it seems like I'm learning that lesson. I just feel that it's the ethical thing to do

Yeah, I know. Back when I sold on E-Bay I would track the shipment and send an e-mail the day it was received saying "I trust the item was received and meets your approval?" If they said "yes" then I left feedback, if they said no we tried to work things out.

Last edited:
[/quote]He declined shipping insurance? [/quote]

Didn't decline, it was never discussed...

Originally Posted By: JustinH
there is a formal dispute process that ebay goes through, and they judge if you are at fault or the buyer.

It has been a fair process, I have been in disputes before over items that were several thousand dollars, it is hairy.

This is what's available and I've had to use it twice in 13 or 14 years of very intermittent selling on eBay. Once it went my way and the other time it went against me.

If it were me...........I would be totally apologetic for all the inconvenience to the buyer, offer to pay return shipping and give a full refund upon receipt of the item with the correct serial number. It IS possible it was trashed by the shipper.

If I get the correct item back I would issue the total refund plus return shipping as I promised. I HAVE done exactly this on both eBay and Amazon. It's rare, but these things happen

Consider it a cost of doing business online, no different that shrinkage/shoplifting in a bricks and mortar store.

If he sends the wrong item I would simply email him explaining why a refund cannot be given and let eBay sort it out.

For what it's worth, when I sell something, if the item is valued at over $50.00 it goes insured for the full value, no exceptions. If it's value is over $150.00 it goes signature required. eBay doesn't require this for proof of deliver but Amazon does.

In any case, you should contact eBay with his subtle message about pulling the neg if he gets a refund.

Sorry this happened to you but it happens to all of us sooner or later. What's most important now is to protect your rep and that 100% positive feedback.

I hope this helps,

Larry

Last edited:
OMG, you should see the last email he just sent me after I politely asked for pictures of the shipping box & label. This guy is a piece of work...

Ask him to send it back to you and make sure you get insurance on the shipped item. If it comes back to you busted up, then you claim the damages from shipping. This isn't dishonest if it happened via shipping in the first place. In the end, you only end up eating the cost of shipping. If your feedback is that important to you, this is what I suggest you do.

OMG, you should see the last email he just sent me after I politely asked for pictures of the shipping box & label. This guy is a piece of work...

Try to stay calm and remain professional. That's key in a lot of these cases and it will stand you in good stead with eBay.

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
there is a formal dispute process that ebay goes through, and they judge if you are at fault or the buyer.

It has been a fair process, I have been in disputes before over items that were several thousand dollars, it is hairy.

This is what's available and I've had to use it twice in 13 or 14 years of very intermittent selling on eBay. Once it went my way and the other time it went against me.

If it were me...........I would be totally apologetic for all the inconvenience to the buyer, offer to pay return shipping and give a full refund upon receipt of the item with the correct serial number. It IS possible it was trashed by the shipper.

If I get the correct item back I would issue the total refund plus return shipping as I promised. I HAVE done exactly this on both eBay and Amazon. It's rare, but these things happen

Consider it a cost of doing business online, no different that shrinkage/shoplifting in a bricks and mortar store.

If he sends the wrong item I would simply email him explaining why a refund cannot be given and let eBay sort it out.

For what it's worth, when I sell something, if the item is valued at over $50.00 it goes insured for the full value, no exceptions. If it's value is over $150.00 it goes signature required. eBay doesn't require this for proof of deliver but Amazon does.

In any case, you should contact eBay with his subtle message about pulling the neg if he gets a refund.

Sorry this happened to you but it happens to all of us sooner or later. What's most important now is to protect your rep and that 100% positive feedback.

I hope this helps,

Larry

Thanks Larry. From the get go he is demanding a full refund + shipping, both ways. Also, is it my responsibility if they were damaged in shipping? My thoughts are that eBay will retract the negative feedback if the item was damaged in shipping, after all how is that my fault?

Its possible that is was damaged by shipping, I've had things arrive in terrible looking boxes, he should have taken a pic of the box before opening.

Perhaps between you and him, there might be a shipping claim?

Originally Posted By: Samuraidog
Ask him to send it back to you and make sure you get insurance on the shipped item. If it comes back to you busted up, then you claim the damages from shipping. This isn't dishonest if it happened via shipping in the first place. In the end, you only end up eating the cost of shipping. If your feedback is that important to you, this is what I suggest you do.

But wouldn't there have to be evidence that the box was damaged in shipping for an insurance claim to hold up?

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd

I hope this helps,

Larry

Thanks Larry. From the get go he is demanding a full refund + shipping, both ways. Also, is it my responsibility if they were damaged in shipping? My thoughts are that eBay will retract the negative feedback if the item was damaged in shipping, after all how is that my fault?

Consider that it's YOUR shipper, acting on your behalf. Yes, it is your responsibility, that's why proper packing is SO important. You're responsible for that customers purchase until he receives it in the same condition as you sold it.

I think that is the most important lesson we online sellers can learn. Or at least one of them.

Larry

Something I was told early on was to reverse the roles. Consider that he's the seller and you're the guy who just shelled out a couple hundred bucks on something that arrived busted up. How would you feel? I'm not saying you'd act anything like this guy, but I bet you'd be looking for him to make it right.

Well, it's something that worked for me. :)

Honestly, if they are in the condition he claims, I don't even want them back...

And just to clarify, these were packed in the factory box with excellent protection, and then double boxed with even more protection/padding, That's what gets me, hard to believe they got that damaged...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back