EA013 discontinued due to plugging. Repost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I've read a Pure One can be restrictive on flow.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Your wrong on....restrictive flow on PureOnes.

Colt ... read this and make up your own mind. IMO, PureONE is no more restrictive than any other filter ... maybe even less restrictive than some.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

I didn't read the whole thread but I'm curious to why Purolator doesn't recommend using a P1 on a motorcycle

Good question ... there was a thread a week or two ago talking about that. IMO, it doesn't make sense what Purolator says on their website about using a car filter on a bike. The oiling system on a modern bike is really no different than the oiling system on a car.

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
The EaO44 will fit the TL, but many newer Hondas now have a shroud around the filter mount preventing the use of the wider old-style Honda filters.

Anyone in the know have further info on this? The EaO13 is no longer available on the Amsoil online store.

I don't have the link to the chart any more. Is the 44 larger than the 20? The 20 fits easily diameter wise. I bought a huge EAO one time that had the same gasket size and thread pitch. I think it was originally meant for a Pinto. Would not clean the lower control arm at full droop. I ended up giving it away.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I don't have the link to the chart any more. Is the 44 larger than the 20? The 20 fits easily diameter wise. I bought a huge EAO one time that had the same gasket size and thread pitch. I think it was originally meant for a Pinto. Would not clean the lower control arm at full droop. I ended up giving it away.

Hey BuickGN,

Long time no see!

The EaO44 is larger than the EaO20. Here are the specs that I have for the 20x1.5mm threaded EaO filters:

EaO # Style Height O.D. Thread Gasket OD Gasket ID Gasket Thk. By-pass Drainback

EaO12 spin 2.58 2.69 20x1.5mm 2.48 2.17 0.23 8 to 11 Y
EaO13 spin 3.4 2.69 20x1.5mm 2.48 2.17 0.23 8 to 11 Y
EaO14 spin 3.4 2.69 20x1.5mm 2.48 2.17 0.23 8 Y
EaO20 spin 3.39 3.02 20x1.5mm 2.79 2.21 11 to 17 Y
EaO21 spin 3.14 3.66 20x1.5mm 2.83 2.46 0.2 13 to 19 Y
EaO36 spin 4.72 3.02 20x1.5mm 2.71 2.31 11 to 17 Y
EaO44 spin 3.39 3.66 20x1.5mm 2.83 2.44 8 to 10 Y

The EaO44 is the same height as the EaO20, but it has a larger O.D. I personally would use the EaO44 over any other filter in this list for the TL because it also lists the correct bypass setting. The EaO20 and larger EaO36 both have higher bypass values than the stock EaO13 and the larger EaO44. I'm not sure what kind of negative effects (if any) this would have on your engine, but I'd feel better using the EaO44 if the OD is not too large for your TL.

My 3.5L V6 Altima actually takes the smallest one, the EaO12, and is not listed in the TSB either (go figure). But I've used the EaO13 many times, and have been using the EaO44 for the past few changes. I like the bigger filter for more capacity. The EaO44 is pretty much the same width as my stock oil/coolant heat exchanger that it sits on top of. It just barely clears the accessory belts.

P.S. - Disclaimer: I'm not sure how accurate this data is anymore. It's over a year old at least. PM me if you want the actual Excel file which is a lot easier to read.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lonestar
I am not too pleased that there was no offer to replace the filter or any other compensation for the effort required to replace the EaO filter.

Upon request, the following options are available for customers who have purchased EaO13 filters:

1) AMSOIL will provide one WIX filter and one quart of top-off oil at no charge.
2) New EaO13 filters in inventory may be exchanged for two WIX filters.
3) For customers who do not want replacement filters, refund or Dealer account credit requests will be honored.

These options are handled through the Technical Services department.

I'm glad you posted this 02man98. I misread that to say that lonestar was disappointed that no redesigned filter was being offered.

Gosh I need my meds changed.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: o2man98
Originally Posted By: lonestar
I am not too pleased that there was no offer to replace the filter or any other compensation for the effort required to replace the EaO filter.

Upon request, the following options are available for customers who have purchased EaO13 filters:

1) AMSOIL will provide one WIX filter and one quart of top-off oil at no charge.
2) New EaO13 filters in inventory may be exchanged for two WIX filters.
3) For customers who do not want replacement filters, refund or Dealer account credit requests will be honored.

These options are handled through the Technical Services department.

Thanks for the info.
Technical Services is closed but I'm a preferred customer and just sent an email on the Amsoil site requesting some SSO(3 qts or two qts and a Wix) for the two EAO filters I ordered in the last two months.
I just recieved a ordered case of SSO and a Wix oil filter for the Civic Monday.
We'll see what happens.

Just called Amsoil and talked to a rep and will be recieving free of charge 3 qts of SSO I asked for to make up for the two EAO13's I purchased in the last five months.
Great customer service!

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
What size in Wix or PureOne matches the EAO13?

I'll use a WIX 51356.
Don't know PureOne's number.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
What size in Wix or PureOne matches the EAO13?

I'll use a WIX 51356.
Don't know PureOne's number.

It is PL14610

Last edited:
I guess I'll change the filter as well as a precaution. Ran the oil and filter for more than a year (some extreme conditions of -35 with a broken block heater cord) and now I'm a few months into the second filter. Was running Amsoil 0w20, might just switch to the 5w20 which is cheaper and change the oil twice a year....still deciding.

The EAO13 and EAO14 are basically the same filter. The have the same dimensions, the same specs except the relief valve. The EAO13 has an 8-11 psi rating and the EAO14 has an 8 psi rating. So, basically the same filter except for the psi rating. I am running the EAO14 on my Honda and have been for quite a while. They had a buy one get one free sale on the EAO14 and with the specs...it was a no brainer. It makes no sense at all the discontinue a filter unless there is a known problem with the filter. I am starting to lean away from using Amsoil because of this philosophy they have about blaming others. I will probably switch to Mobil 1 once my current stash of Amsoil is used up. I think they make great products, but, I don't like the business practice that I have currently seen. That isn't to say that it is any different with any other company, just my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back