EA013 discontinued due to plugging. Repost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I couldn't fit the entire title I wanted due to the size limitations so it's a little misleading. This may be a repost so mods, please delete if it is but I searched and didn't see anything about it.

One member of Acurazine inquired as to why the TL's stock sized EA013 filter was discontinued and got a response from Amsoil that they had an issue with excessive loading before the 25,000 mile recommended OCI. I'm sure this is not a problem to 99% of us that use these filters and I've always used the 20 instead.

I use RP filters now because of the availability but I would still use the EAO series with no worries.

Keep in mind, they didn't say "plugging" but "excessive loading".

Just wanted to know if anyone has more info on this.

There is a TSB from Toyota talking about this, I'll see if I can find it. IIRC it was causing oil pressures to drop quite a bit so the light would come on. I don't remember if the EAO13 was one of them. Amsoil is now recommending Mann filters in place of these.

Someone on the TW forum is telling us that an Amsoil filter starved his engine and ruined the motor, not sure how that will turn out.

Here's the TSB...

http://www.sinwal.com/data/TSB_FL-2009-05-01_Toyota1.pdf

I just recieved an email about the eao13 use on a '08 Civic.
No Mann filter size on Amsoil's site.
This is a tiny filter.
What oil filter do you guys recommend for an Amsoil 0w30 9K mile interval?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Will an EaO44 fit? It's what I have run in the Honda Odyssey for 40K miles now with great success. Looks like it will fit on the daughter's Accord as well with no issues.

You'll need clearance for the larger element dimensions, and very slightly larger gasket.

Linkie for dimension size thingie

Thanks for the reply,Pablo.
Would using another eao be any better with the problem with the eao13?
I just ordered a WIX and a case of Amsoil 0w30(preferedcustomer).I'll take the eao13 off at 4K and put on the WIX.
I'll probably just go with a Mobil 1 filter for the 9K mile interval unless I read something bad about going with a Mobil 1 that long.

Colt - the problem is not the Ea013, it's the EaO13 in a Toyota. The Ea013 won't "plug". I should have clarified that earlier. Plenty of people have run extended OCI's on 13's, 20's and 44's in Hondas with no issues.

Nothing wrong with the M1.

The EaO44 will fit the TL, but many newer Hondas now have a shroud around the filter mount preventing the use of the wider old-style Honda filters.

Anyone in the know have further info on this? The EaO13 is no longer available on the Amsoil online store.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Colt - the problem is not the Ea013, it's the EaO13 in a Toyota. The Ea013 won't "plug". I should have clarified that earlier. Plenty of people have run extended OCI's on 13's, 20's and 44's in Hondas with no issues.

Nothing wrong with the M1.

True,I've run the eao13 with Amsoil 0w20(now going to go with 0w30) for the 8-9K miles 3X without a problem but I recieved an email from Amsoil about using the eao13 is scaring me.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt
I just recieved an email about the eao13 use on a '08 Civic.
No Mann filter size on Amsoil's site.
This is a tiny filter.
What oil filter do you guys recommend for an Amsoil 0w30 9K mile interval?

A Pureolator PureOne (economy) OR Mobil 1 filter....both are alot cheaper than the Amsoil filter and will offset the higher cost of Amsoil oil... and will do an outstanding job with 9000 OCI's.

Last edited:
I got an email today and it does not contain near the info the TSB Pablo provided the link for had. Thanks Pablo. I am not too pleased that there was no offer to replace the filter or any other compensation for the effort required to replace the EaO filter. I feel sorry for Pablo, Gary, and other “big time” Amsoil dealers for they may have provided many customers with this filter. The customers are not going to be pleased that they need to buy and install a new filter after all the hype to purchase the EaO in the first place. And some number of these customers are going to expect the dealers to pay for and replace the filters and it appears Amsoil has hung them out to dry so to speak in this regard.

Bottom line, Amsoil is saying the Eao13 will not do what they said it would and left the correction of the situation up to the customers who placed trust in Amsoil.

Isn’t this the 2nd or 3rd EaO filter found to not be able to go the distance as advertised and Amsoil is basically placing blame on the car? Come on, you guys see the UOAs for Honda engines.

I would think that the overwhelming majority of people who want to run Amsoil for a year do not want to change the filter in the middle of the OCI. If you have to craw under the car to change the filter you might as well drain the pan while you are down there. Thus, not much reason to use Amsoil.

Great points,Lonestar.
I'll have to get the ramps out,oil pan,crawl under the car and change that prefered customer cost of $13.15 + tax and shipping eao13 filter with a $7 WIX and add some more Amsoil oil.It's not so much the money loss,it's more the changing the filter hassle that bothers me.
I've read a Pure One can be restrictive on flow.I'll probably go with a Mobil 1 oil filter now.

Pablo,thanks for the informative TSB and info.
Thanks all for the replies.

My grip is why do these companies use such SMALL filters to start with. Being filters are so important they would have to design around them if size and location is a problem.

Your wrong on....restrictive flow on PureOnes.

Mobil 1 is an excellent filter...but at twice the price of a P1. In my opinion the P1 would do the job as well as the Mobil 1 with your intended OCI's..

Its your money...you have the right to spend it the way you wish.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Mobil 1 is an excellent filter...but at twice the price of a P1. In my opinion the P1 would do the job as well as the Mobil 1 with your intended OCI's..

Its your money...you have the right to spend it the way you wish.

Maybe you're right but I've read many time the P1 has a less flow rate.
I'd go with a P1 with a 5K change but hate to have a low flow rate filter with a 9K mile change interval.Would restrict flow even more with filtering crud.
The extra cost M1 would give me more piece of mind.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Colt

I've read a Pure One can be restrictive on flow.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Colt ... read this and make up your own mind. IMO, PureONE is no more restrictive than any other filter ... maybe even less restrictive than some.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Very interesting,SB.
Seems the restriction issue is a rumor.I ordered a 2 pk of Mobil 1 from Amazon earlier.
I didn't read the whole thread but I'm curious to why Purolator doesn't recommend using a P1 on a motorcycle.Is it because the filter is small?
The filter for a Civic is small too.
That thread is very technical and over my head.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back