E85 / E15 - Saw Something New To Me Today

In the example shown: The blue 88 is E15 - not E15+. The red 87 is E10. The other two red grades are E0.

And yes, the E85 and E15 pumps are supposed to have the warning/advisory labels - E85 - for use in flex fuel vehicles only, E15 for use in 2001 and up vehicles only (and we don't need to debate the whys of the cutoff here - that's just what the label is required to have on it...)

In the example shown: The blue 88 is E15 - not E15+. The red 87 is E10. The other two red grades are E0.

And yes, the E85 and E15 pumps are supposed to have the warning/advisory labels - E85 - for use in flex fuel vehicles only, E15 for use in 2001 and up vehicles only (and we don't need to debate the whys of the cutoff here - that's just what the label is required to have on it...)
Great clarification. Thank you!

I always find it interesting when people note that using the E15 won't work economically... For the last 6+ months, I've been buying E15 for 25-40+ cents cheaper per gallon. It results in 1-2% lower fuel economy than E10 fuels do. When gas is E10 is $4 a gallon, 2% lower is: $3.92, and I've been at $3.75 to 3.60.

Pretty much been applying a if its more than 10 cents cheaper a gallon, the math works out just fine.

I get the argument when E10 and E15 priced the same.
I agree and have been doing the same. I don't notice any difference in mileage that is above the noise floor of my calculations. My F-150 5.0 seems to like it as it has a little more octane and my old 2006 Focus 2.0L runs great and get identical mileage as well.

FWIW. E85 in my 2019 F-150 5.0 runs great with lots of power and no pinging but I lose a little mileage. I only buy this if it is a lot cheaper. Some places have E85 for $1.50 a gallon cheaper, others are not cheap enough to warrant running it. There seems to be a little inconsistency in the amount of ethanol in E85 at different stations as well. I have bought from some places where my mileage hardly changes and other where it is noticeable. I guess the pump says it can contain anywhere from 53-85%. You can look at the ethanol percentage that the engine sees using FORSCAN. The last tank of E85 I bought had 73% ethanol according to the computer.
Some stations around here have E30 or somewhere in between as well where the pump must do the mixing.

I agree and have been doing the same. I don't notice any difference in mileage that is above the noise floor of my calculations. My F-150 5.0 seems to like it as it has a little more octane and my old 2006 Focus 2.0L runs great and get identical mileage as well.
For E85 for sure you are losing mpgs by a significant margin but on the E15 it shouldn't be enough to notice.

Many of our pumps have e10/e free selections and hoses far to one side of the pump with a gap in the middle and e15-e85 selections on the opposite side.

The entire bank of NOT e10 will be colored differently under a label saying FLEXFUEL
And respective orange stickers above each selection on the “FLEXFUEL” side of the pump

Why e15 went under a FLEXFUEL bank I don’t know but I guess maybe some station s have more concerns about liability.

I've only seen E15 once, while driving down to Florida and I'm pretty sure we were driving through Fayetteville, WV on RT-19. It was the first time seeing it and this was back in 2019. I topped off my Maxima, but remember hesitating before doing it because I was down to a 1/4 of a tank and then thought, it should be fine. It never missed a beat on that Sheetz unleaded 88.

88e15 is an excellent cheap substitute for those of you with a car that recommends premium but doesn’t absolutely require it.

My experience is if your at 1000Ft+ elevation, it works in cold weather on cars that require premium as well
so long as you aren’t driving hard on long distance trips
It amounts to about 2 MPG on my F-150.
at 15 cents+ a gallon cheaper that shouldn’t matter much. My 40mpg car seems to only loose about 2mpg on it as well, though in hot weather I actually seem to get identical MPGs

My personal thanks to all whom have responded to this thread as I learned a few things about how "E" fuels are marketed and or available in your region. I also found this regarding E15 / Super 88. I was not aware that cars as old as 2001 will have no issues using it.

What kind of car can we run E15 in?

E15 has been certified for use in any gasoline-powered car with a U.S.-certified emissions system from 2001 or newer, whether it’s flex fuel or not. To be clear, 90 percent of all vehicles on the road today fall into this 2001-and-up category, so chances are that’s your vehicle.

They pull that scam here too. E30 93 for 2.91

Attachments

• 20220810_120334.jpg
    20220810_120334.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 28
88e15 is an excellent cheap substitute for those of you with a car that recommends premium but doesn’t absolutely require it.

I use it in my 2013 Volt, which recommends premium. It seems to get better fuel economy using 88e15 than it does on 87e10. And lately it's been at least 30 cents a gallon cheaper than 87e10.

My personal thanks to all whom have responded to this thread as I learned a few things about how "E" fuels are marketed and or available in your region. I also found this regarding E15 / Super 88. I was not aware that cars as old as 2001 will have no issues using it.

Pretty much anything with an oxygen sensor will have no issues using it, but I am certainly not suggesting that you use it in a vehicle older than 2001, for that would be a violation of applicable law.

Pretty much anything with an oxygen sensor will have no issues using it, but I am certainly not suggesting that you use it in a vehicle older than 2001, for that would be a violation of applicable law.
The guy down the street runs all his old small gas equipment on e85

I found that out after noticing he had the intake plugged.

I doubt his 2 cycle law boy makes more pollution on e85 but yeah against federal law

at 15 cents+ a gallon cheaper that shouldn’t matter much. My 40mpg car seems to only loose about 2mpg on it as well, though in hot weather I actually seem to get identical MPGs
I was referring to when I use E85 which was $1.35 a gallon cheaper. I go from around 20mpg to 18-17.5mpg on a long trip. With E15 at $.15 cheaper I notice no difference in mileage.

Wow, if my trucks had been that efficient at that price point I’d use it too. My new silverado is not rated for e-85 unfortunately and the manual specifically warns against using it. It stinks that in 2022 not all vehicles are made to run it.

.25 to .30 cents is my break even to where I'll buy E88 over E10 87 octane. There have been times E88 was over .75 cheaper than E10 87 at Sheetz around here. Currently it's. .60 cents. $3.69 vs. $4.29

I've also run it in my 2000 Impala and can't tell a difference. It's an around town beater.

Wow, if my trucks had been that efficient at that price point I’d use it too. My new silverado is not rated for e-85 unfortunately and the manual specifically warns against using it. It stinks that in 2022 not all vehicles are made to run it.
If you really want to run it there is usually a hidden tune, my volt has a spot for a FLEXFUEL sensor, once you turn on both OEM tunes the car detects and switches trim for e10 to e85 and back.

Usually not worth the effort though

Did anyone give how much cheaper e15 need work I have gas sell e-15 for 10 cents cheaper and e-85 .50 cents cheaper then regular e87 with 10 % ethanol heard. E-85 need 25% cheaper worth using it ? . Thank you

Did anyone give how much cheaper e15 need work I have gas sell e-15 for 10 cents cheaper and e-85 .50 cents cheaper then regular e87 with 10 % ethanol heard. E-85 need 25% cheaper worth using it ? . Thank you
Generally speaking you are talking 1-2% difference e10 vrs e15

In reality for me at least my economy is the same or ever so slightly better summer and a couple mpg worse in the zero F winter

Thus at $3-$4 gas you are guaranteed the same or better at 8 cents cheaper in all circumstances, depending on your car your break even may only be 3 cents

Me personally (depending on the car)
I won’t run it if I’m not saving more than 5 cents a gallon especially in the winter.

My one car that demands premium gets e15+ all year
03038788-C7DB-4CF6-BDC5-16DFD9BA3D41.jpeg

Back