Dumbest Engine Oil YouTube videos you’ve seen

It's been my experience that most mechanics ironically know next to nothing about oil and oil filters. That isn't to say that there aren't some who are in fact knowledgeable about them, but MOST know very little. I would bet on it. I've had more mechanics tell me wild stories about oil and filters than factual information. Same with machines I work on that come from other shops. I had someone bring me a snow blower that was difficult to pull over when it got cold out. You guessed it, his "mechanic" told him to fill the crankcase with Lucas oil stabilizer.

I would say the funniest have been the people who cut open Fram filters and say the fiber endcaps are "junk cardboard" that shouldn't be used in anything. At least their ignorance is easy to spot.

"Mr. Subaru" on youtube is an actual mechanic at a Subaru dealership that loves to do oil filter cutups and give his opinion, based on nothing, about whatever. Someone sent me an hour long video he did "analyzing" several filters which was primarily him trashing the Subaru OEM oil filter and Fram products while pumping up Wix products. He said barely anything about the Fram Ultra and really didn't talk about any filters performance. It was all superficialities and "cardboard" endcap bashing, next to no actual substance.

But he is a mechanic and he has a platform to speak from so even if what he says is ridiculous or irrelevant he'll get a lot of people believing his bull 💩

"Mr. Subaru" on youtube is an actual mechanic at a Subaru dealership that loves to do oil filter cutups and give his opinion, based on nothing, about whatever. Someone sent me an hour long video he did "analyzing" several filters which was primarily him trashing the Subaru OEM oil filter and Fram products while pumping up Wix products. He said barely anything about the Fram Ultra and really didn't talk about any filters performance. It was all superficialities and "cardboard" endcap bashing, next to no actual substance.

But he is a mechanic and he has a platform to speak from so even if what he says is ridiculous or irrelevant he'll get a lot of people believing his bull 💩
It's the beard, man. And I've linked this video before

Now, he sure does pump up using Subaru oil from the dealer so maybe he is some kind of a troll 😜🤣🤣HOWEVER. I I'm not so sure I would call him full of stuff as you say as he points out how the owner's manual has provisions for oil consumption only starting with the fa series engines and that that never used to be in the EJ series and goes back in the manual and shows you this

It's been my experience that most mechanics ironically know next to nothing about oil and oil filters. That isn't to say that there aren't some who are in fact knowledgeable about them, but MOST know very little. I would bet on it. I've had more mechanics tell me wild stories about oil and filters than factual information. Same with machines I work on that come from other shops. I had someone bring me a snow blower that was difficult to pull over when it got cold out. You guessed it, his "mechanic" told him to fill the crankcase with Lucas oil stabilizer.

I would say the funniest have been the people who cut open Fram filters and say the fiber endcaps are "junk cardboard" that shouldn't be used in anything. At least their ignorance is easy to spot.
That is true and I’ve seen it a lot. I’ll admit I’m not the most knowledgeable on oil but some of the stuff I’ve heard my coworkers at one point say makes me never want to let them touch my car again. One time a coworker told my friend he couldn’t run 10W-30 oil in his car because his “oil ports” were too small but yet recommended Lucas oil stabilizer for it with 5W-30 oil LOL.

That is true and I’ve seen it a lot. I’ll admit I’m not the most knowledgeable on oil but some of the stuff I’ve heard my coworkers at one point say makes me never want to let them touch my car again. One time a coworker told my friend he couldn’t run 10W-30 oil in his car because his “oil ports” were too small but yet recommended Lucas oil stabilizer for it with 5W-30 oil LOL.
Normally when I hear old school mechanics talk about oil, it's the "point spread."

i.e. 10W-30 has a 20-point spread, so is the best;
5W-30, 25 point;
10W-40, 30 points, so, avoid
20W-50 = 30 points and too thick
0W-20 = Like water, don't use.

Normally when I hear old school mechanics talk about oil, it's the "point spread."

i.e. 10W-30 has a 20-point spread, so is the best;
5W-30, 25 point;
10W-40, 30 points, so, avoid
20W-50 = 30 points and too thick
0W-20 = Like water, don't use.
I haven’t heard of the point spread lol. I have heard 0W-20 described as water which I will say when pouring it out of a bottle it does look pretty thin. My teacher always told us to use the thickest oil possible for the season so that’s what I usually do.

Had this gem pop up today

Initially got annoyed but as the old wives tales and information that might have been accurate 25 years ago kept going I started to laugh my ass off. Anyone have other bad take videos on oil?

They always crack me up and I’m burning off non-rollover vacation days for the rest of the year.

Wow he made the observation that the Mobil 1 oil moved from bottom to the top of the motor and solved the problem... What a guru!!

At least project farm shows his face and actually does more than just talk about it, he's got extensive tests on many videos which may not reflect actual real world scenarios all the time, but he puts more effort into those tests.

The youtube videos I dislike are the clickbait type videos, They would have a thumbnail picture of a bottle of oil saying" This oil destroyed my engine" You watch the video and they recommend using that specific oil. Don't get me started on the fram hating videos... 😂

I had a Service Manager and Master Mechanic tell me ATF was an amazing engine cleaner totally straight-faced, he believed it absolutely. There are all kinds of unsubstantiated claims and urban legends, look at how some people, particularly truckers, worship Lucas goblin snot for example 🤷‍♂️

I had a Service Manager and Master Mechanic tell me ATF was an amazing engine cleaner totally straight-faced, he believed it absolutely. There are all kinds of unsubstantiated claims and urban legends, look at how some people, particularly truckers, worship Lucas goblin snot for example 🤷‍♂️
My Uncle is a trucker, and is actually very very knowledgeable on all things mechanics. From a "engine-out replacement" to an "in-frame overhaul" on big rigs (Freightliners and stuff) to motorcycles to cars, I'm surprised to even newer cars too, he must have kept up with training.

I have not the cajones to ask him about Lucas or say something ridiculous, he's the type to just kind of not say anything and just kind of look at you a little bit like "You didn't just say that, right." :LOL:

He actually has one of our cars from a couple years ago and may either replace the engine or fix the engine this winter. I believe it just needs a new coil if we are lucky. Of course, that car, you can only buy all 4 coils at once, it is one piece that costs like $1000. :/ We will see.

It's the beard, man. And I've linked this video before

Now, he sure does pump up using Subaru oil from the dealer so maybe he is some kind of a troll 😜🤣🤣HOWEVER. I I'm not so sure I would call him full of stuff as you say as he points out how the owner's manual has provisions for oil consumption only starting with the fa series engines and that that never used to be in the EJ series and goes back in the manual and shows you this

I like the guy and most of his content, I just think he is full of 💩 when it comes to oil filters being a stereotypical Fram hater. He avoids talking about the Ultra can like the plague, I wonder why 🤔

I've also had experienced small engine mechanics (who were very good mechanics) tell me not to run anything besides non-detergent SAE 30 in small engines, and when they find out I run Rotella T6 5w40 say that I will wear out the engine since the contaminants are supposed to settle to the bottom in a splash lubricated engine. That may have been true in the 1930s.

I forgot the name but there is one guy on YouTube that compares synthetic to dino, but uses 5w30 to compare 10w30, and use freezer to check flow rate. He does have a typical 'engineer' look so he got a lot of praise. This tells me looks matter, and facts doesn't.

Anyways, I'm sure some of you guys already know about this video but I just don't remember the name or the link.

Edit: Yes, you guys got it, it is Project Farm....

Not as dumb as some of the others....

"what'd the factory put in there? 0W20 Synthetic?? I don't care, don't want that in there. I want real oil. 5W30 Havoline Conventional..."

don’t think Project Farm is an idiot I like him I think it’s cool what he does
He isn't an idiot, he knows how to get the most view with the least amount of effort. His look is also manufactured, short well cut hair with a dark T shirt and those glasses, is a package to get likes (and it is not a cheap look, lots of effort to look this cool and credible to the middle age crowd).

I like the guy and most of his content, I just think he is full of 💩 when it comes to oil filters being a stereotypical Fram hater. He avoids talking about the Ultra can like the plague, I wonder why 🤔
I didn't pick up on that. Oh he hates Fram! Well from that viewpoint.. yeah🔥 💩🔥💩

If I ever change my differently fluid, I know how thanks to this guy with the overcompensating beard.

Most people with really ridiculous hairstyles are full of 🔥💩

Back