Dumbest Engine Oil YouTube videos you’ve seen

I see a lot of idiots making youtube clips. PF is not one of them.

Maybe the oil videos don't offer anything usefull, but people who request those videos will find them anyway. There are a lot of idots spewing misinformation about oil.

I saw one of the "5W-30 means it starts out as a 5 and turns into a 30 as it warms up" videos a couple of weeks ago. I can't find it now.

I don’t think Project Farm is an idiot I like him I think it’s cool what he does.
Sometimes being an idiot is thinking you’re doing something useful and technically significant but you’re not. He spends a lot of time doing “tests” that are neither relevant to engine operation nor do they reveal or illustrate any “new” property of oil that is not characterized elsewhere.

Of course he’s in it for the money so one has to remember that.

Sometimes being an idiot is thinking you’re doing something useful and technically significant but you’re not. He spends a lot of time doing “tests” that are neither relevant to engine operation nor do they reveal or illustrate any “new” property of oil that is not characterized elsewhere.

Of course he’s in it for the money so one has to remember that.
Yeah I mean I just think his tests are cool whether or not they are relevant.

I'm glad I kept watching. I was like, hey, this isn't too bad, then he drive it off the ramps before putting oil into the engine. DOH! :eek:
I like the fact that he starts the engine without oil, drives it off the ramps, and then lets it idle as he moves the ramps out of the way and backs it up. I especially think it’s funny how he says “sounds like it needs oil”. If you flick between when he first starts it and towards the end when he shuts it off, you can really hear the metal on metal sound.

Project Farm does have some BS videos, but his testing sometimes seems relevant to some products. He has a nicely comprehensive test video of emergency jump starters made from lithium battery powered units sold on Amazon. He tested them in various temps and engines. I think it's a very valid test for jump starters to see if there is any large variation in performance, especially when cold. Sample variation could mess up tests like this sometimes, but still better than nothing.

It's been my experience that most mechanics ironically know next to nothing about oil and oil filters. That isn't to say that there aren't some who are in fact knowledgeable about them, but MOST know very little. I would bet on it. I've had more mechanics tell me wild stories about oil and filters than factual information. Same with machines I work on that come from other shops. I had someone bring me a snow blower that was difficult to pull over when it got cold out. You guessed it, his "mechanic" told him to fill the crankcase with Lucas oil stabilizer.

I would say the funniest have been the people who cut open Fram filters and say the fiber endcaps are "junk cardboard" that shouldn't be used in anything. At least their ignorance is easy to spot.

Project Farm does have some BS videos, but his testing sometimes seems relevant to some products. He has a nicely comprehensive test video of emergency jump starters made from lithium battery powered units sold on Amazon. He tested them in various temps and engines. I think it's a very valid test for jump starters to see if there is any large variation in performance, especially when cold. Sample variation could mess up tests like this sometimes, but still better than nothing.
I think people take the Project Farm videos too seriously, and get butthurt over nothing. It's comparison for ENTERTAINMENT. None of it is really all that scientific, it's to see how some products compare in a particular staged environment. Some of the info is useful, a lot of it is just an experiment, like elementary science class.

I think one of the only "tests" he has ever done on a car was SeaFoam on a Ford Ranger and he said it worked. I watched the video and I think.. I am surprised, SeaFoam isn't supposed to work.

Everything else he does is like lawnmowers, tractors, I think one was with a chainsaw.. you know, farm stuff.

Are combustion chambers on a Honda lawnmower with one valve the same as on a car?

Are spark plugs (for some reason I remember our Snapper used a Champion plug?) the same as.. spark plugs on a car, with the fuel injection and ECU etc?

I am sure it could come off like I am making fun of the guy etc etc but I think the very valid point was made.. You go to his channels and watch the tests, and they are not on cars!

And, as pointed out previously, the pouring oil out of jugs video doesn't hold water because it includes gravity. Pumping oil on a cold morning is like sucking hello through a straw, just the oil should move a little more freely than jello.. no gravity involved.

Unless he is trying to say that oil will move like that if it gets poured upwards.

More of an oil change video but this is a classic. Start watching at 10:27 and get ready to facepalm.

Well I learned one thing I didn’t know at least is those have a rear engine lol I’ve never worked on one so didn’t know. Also that guy is an idiot anyway he makes videos about microwaving deodorant to save money.

I think one of the only "tests" he has ever done on a car was SeaFoam on a Ford Ranger and he said it worked. I watched the video and I think.. I am surprised, SeaFoam isn't supposed to work.

Everything else he does is like lawnmowers, tractors, I think one was with a chainsaw.. you know, farm stuff.

Are combustion chambers on a Honda lawnmower with one valve the same as on a car?

Are spark plugs (for some reason I remember our Snapper used a Champion plug?) the same as.. spark plugs on a car, with the fuel injection and ECU etc?

I am sure it could come off like I am making fun of the guy etc etc but I think the very valid point was made.. You go to his channels and watch the tests, and they are not on cars!

And, as pointed out previously, the pouring oil out of jugs video doesn't hold water because it includes gravity. Pumping oil on a cold morning is like sucking hello through a straw, just the oil should move a little more freely than jello.. no gravity involved.

Unless he is trying to say that oil will move like that if it gets poured upwards.
I think this is a very valid "test" for these jumper products. Only thing I can fault is the low sample-size (one) of each product. A better test would be to purchase multiple copies of each product from different sources to see if copy variation played any role. He did a test where he purchased another copy of one that tested poorly, and it was just as bad. LOL

I think this is a very valid "test" for these jumper products. Only thing I can fault is the low sample-size (one) of each product. A better test would be to purchase multiple copies of each product from different sources to see if copy variation played any role. He did a test where he purchased another copy of one that tested poorly, and it was just as bad. LOL

In that video, he is more testing electricity. I know it seems like I'm making fun of the guy but.. watch him go jump start a Case tractor.

I've driven both Ford New Holland and Case myself.. lol

Back