Ducati 15W-50 (JASO MA/MA2) - Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that Amsoil is now carrying a synthetic metric 15W-50 that meets JASO MA/MA2, which seems perfect for my Ducati with wet clutch pack. Has anyone used this with good results?

I've tried Rotella T6 5W-40 in the past, but the clutches would slip too much during WOT shifting (I could even see it in the datalog with RPM spikes after each shift). I ended up using M1 V-Twin 20W-50 for awhile until I found a Castrol Power RS 10W-50 synthetic that didn't have the slippage problem. Just curious if anyone has tried the Amsoil?

I normally use a K&N oil filter for my Ducati because it is less expensive than the OEM replacement Ducati oil filter.

Amsoil would be a good choice, no doubt. A company well know for good stuff.
If it was my bike, I'd probably go for Shell Advance, since they get a lot of Ducati nods of approval, and are another great company.

Ah, I see they finally have a Shell synthetic 15W-50 in the US. When I bought my Ducati, even the dealer did not have the OEM recommended engine oil (Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50).

I have a 1 liter duck eater ...,,JK... TL1000 with 90,000 miles on it. Any good quality 15 or 20/50 MC oil should be fine.

The JASO MA/MA2 is important because of my wet clutches, but even though Rotella T6 5W-40 meets JASO MA/MA2 in the past, it would cause clutch slippage during WOT shifts. The Castrol I'm using now might be a little too grippy because I've had the clutch packs stick when stored for the winter. I've had to crank the engine in 4th or 6th gear with a rear stand to let it break loose the clutch packs. When riding it on a regular basis, the Castrol has been fine. I will keep an eye out for the Shell Ducati branded oil in the future.

Across the two Ducati Multistrada 1200's I've owned (r.i.p. both totaled) I ended up going with Spectro Platinum Ultra 15W50 after the Ducati Master Tech (Chad) at Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville KY where I bought them and had them serviced, continually recommended Spectro based on his experience not just servicing Ducati's but also years of building and rebuilding race engines. Quite the motorcycle shop that place, even have a dyno annex built onto the service area. Chad dyno'd my 2016 Multi, 144hp at the wheel. Not quite the 160hp at the crank Ducati was claiming for the DVT motor, but the bike still ran very strong.

metroplex, Its always safe to go with the manufacturer's recommended brand and type of oil. We do speculate a lot here on trying to find a brand or better spec to improve on that, and sometimes we get confident we have found something better. Any big name brand is fine with the right JASO wet-clutch no-friction-modifiers (no-FM) requirement. Something not well known maybe, is that ZDDP is for wear, and actually increases friction slightly, so ZDDP is not the enemy of wet clutches. Oils that show up on a UOA or VOA with little to no moly are probably fine, as moly is an FM.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Chad dyno'd my 2016 Multi, 144hp at the wheel. Not quite the 160hp at the crank Ducati was claiming for the DVT motor, but the bike still ran very strong.

10% HP loss between crank and rear wheel is pretty typical for chain driven bikes.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
metroplex, Its always safe to go with the manufacturer's recommended brand and type of oil. We do speculate a lot here on trying to find a brand or better spec to improve on that, and sometimes we get confident we have found something better. Any big name brand is fine with the right JASO wet-clutch no-friction-modifiers (no-FM) requirement. Something not well known maybe, is that ZDDP is for wear, and actually increases friction slightly, so ZDDP is not the enemy of wet clutches. Oils that show up on a UOA or VOA with little to no moly are probably fine, as moly is an FM.

Normally I'd agree, but when I bought my Monster new in 2011, none of the dealers actually carried the OEM recommended Shell Advance Ultra 4 15W-50 in the US. It was only available in Europe. I might have written Helix Ultra by accident. I see that the Advance Ultra 4 is more readily available.

But at the time the local dealers recommended a variety of JASO MA/MA2 synthetic 15W-50s, it varied depending on who you went to see for service!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back