Drove Several Mid-Size Trucks

An equivelant full size with an off-road package would be more than the $31k I'm getting the truck for, but you're right it's not significantly more. For my needs the mid-size is perfect.

My father has a 2017 Tacoma. Loves it, says its the best vehicle he has owned. I get very frustrated driving it, I can't stand how lazy that transmission is. I imagine a manual would be make this truck a lot better.

I drove a 2018 Pro 4x Frontier with the 5 speed auto very briefly. I thought it was pretty good.

Originally Posted by Hakkinen
My father has a 2017 Tacoma. Loves it, says its the best vehicle he has owned. I get very frustrated driving it, I can't stand how lazy that transmission is. I imagine a manual would be make this truck a lot better.

I drove a 2018 Pro 4x Frontier with the 5 speed auto very briefly. I thought it was pretty good.

I felt the same. It was driving me nuts after only 5 minutes. Sometimes simple is better, especially in a truck.

Some are trying to make a case about resale value. Frontier resale value isn't bad. Also it's priced thousands less than a new Tacoma. The Tacoma cost significantly more in most cases up front so arguing resale value is a moot point.

Originally Posted by dogememe

I'm not expecting a great turning radius but my friends F-550 utility bucket truck can turn in like half the radius of a Frontier.

Half is an over exaggeration but I looked up the "Curb to Curb" spec on the shortest F-550 chassis cab and it is 42.3'. Curb to Curb for a Frontier is 43.6. That is still staggering a F-550 has a "slight" better turning spec than a Nissan Frontier.

If you don't mind used, look for a low mile 12-15 Tacoma with the old 4.0 and 5 speed auto, much better combo than the 16+ trucks! If my 04 ever dies or gets wrecked, that's what I'm going with.

Originally Posted by jongies3
If you don't mind used, look for a low mile 12-15 Tacoma with the old 4.0 and 5 speed auto, much better combo than the 16+ trucks! If my 04 ever dies or gets wrecked, that's what I'm going with.

Resale value is so high though it doesn't make sense to me to buy used.

Buy whatever blows your hair back! It doesn't matter what any of us think. I chose the Tacoma and very happy with it. No trouble's as of yet, on my 2nd day of ownership and a whopping 61 miles on it.

I never drove all these trucks, but I sat in all of them at an auto show. I found the seating position in the Nissan to be the most comfortable for me. The Tacoma's seats are too close to the floor for me.

hmmm it worked for me.

"TITAN only full-size truck in the top 10; ties for seventh in fewest overall problems among 257 vehicles studied
Maxima wins "Large Car" segment
Frontier, Versa, Murano and Rogue all produce top 3 category rankings
Nissan moves up three spots in brand rankings - becoming the top-performing Japanese nameplate
NASHVILLE, Tenn., June 19, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The strength of Nissan's dedication to new vehicle quality showed across the board in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) - led by the Nissan TITAN full-size pickup. TITAN was ranked not only the best performer in the "Large Light Duty Pickup" segment with 66 problems per hundred vehicles (PPH), but also tied for seventh in fewest overall problems among all 257 vehicles studied.
In addition, Nissan had no models in its car, truck, crossover and SUV lineup with more than 100 PPH and performed better than the industry average for the fourth consecutive year. For 2019, Nissan moved up one spot to fifth (Non-Premium). Since the 2015 model year, Nissan has improved 35 PPH.
J.D. Power measures initial quality by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership, with a lower score reflecting higher quality.
"It is rewarding to see Nissan's continuous improvement in the J.D. Power U.S. Initial Quality Study over the past several years, and it is especially good to see TITAN and Maxima win their IQS categories for 2019," said Health Holtz, senior vice president, manufacturing, supply chain management and purchasing, Nissan North America, Inc. "Initial quality is one important metric for our manufacturing team's performance, but the pursuit of excellence across the Nissan lineup never stops."
TITAN is assembled at Nissan's Canton, Mississippi plant, with engines provided by the Decherd, Tennessee powertrain assembly plant. TITAN is powered by a 390-horsepower 5.6-liter Endurance® V8 gasoline engine mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission and is available in 4x2 and 4x4 configurations. It is offered in Crew Cab, King Cab and Single Cab body configurations. Pricing starts at $36,680 MSRP1.
Nissan Maxima was ranked first in the "Large Car" segment with 76 PPH, while the Nissan Frontier midsize pickup finished second in the Midsize Pickup segment with 95 PPH. Three popular Nissan vehicles ranked third in their categories - Nissan Versa (94 PPH), Nissan Murano (tied with 78 PPH) and Nissan Rogue (tied with 81 PPH).
About Nissan North America
In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program and has been recognized annually by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as an ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year since 2010. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and INFINITI vehicles can be found online at www.nissanusa.com and www.infinitiusa.com, or visit the U.S. media sites nissannews.com and infinitinews.com.

About J.D. Power
J.D. Power is a global leader in consumer insights, advisory services and data and analytics. These capabilities enable J.D. Power to help its clients drive customer satisfaction, growth and profitability. Established in 1968, J.D. Power has offices serving North America, South America, Asia Pacific and Europe."

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by buster
Any reason not to the go with the dated Frontier? I don't care about all the technology they are adding to cars today. My priorities are - reliability, drivability and performance. The Nissan also has a rear locker.
If you like it, buy it, a factory rear locker is nice to have. I'd rather overpay for the Taco than throw my money away buying a Nissan brand new. I don't trust their quality and Tacos have insane resale. It's a no-brainer to buy one if you want a new mid sized truck.

So you'd rather drive a truck that you like less than the others just because of the resale value?
confused2.gif

If you are thinking about trading/selling it yourself after a time-yes the Toyota will beat the heck out of a Nissan resale wise. Even the Tundra-where the volume isn't any where near the "Big 3" has crazy resale values.

So yes.....

love my preowned 2011 28 thou mile at purchase king cab SV Fronty with 4 WD + a 6 spd MANUAL!!! the 4.0 is powerful + after changing ALL drivetrain lubes to Redline my average MPG went from 16 to 19, it does ALL i need!!

Back