Test drove a few trucks. Ram Pentstar V6?

I own one of these... I agree, try to find one with 3.55 gears; kind of important.
You used to be able to get even 3.92s with Pentastar but that ended with 2017 MY.
Funny thing was, tow rating was the same- 3.55 vs 3.92

Tows my track car and trailer with ease (~4500#)

These were also available with an optional 32gal fuel tank.

I have had zero problems. They handle quite well for a pickup (probably due to light alum V6 up front) and have a smooth ride.

I'd buy the same truck again if I had to.

I have no experience with the Pentastar, but I can tell you that my Sierra (2WD) with the V6 has plenty of power. I get 24mpg highway, 20ish around town. I've been towing a 16' aluminum fishing boat (super lightweight) but will have an 18' fiberglass bow rider I/O this spring. I'll try to remember to report back on my towing experience after I drive down to Cincinnati to pick it up. I'll have 500 miles to tow it home. I expect it to be a breeze.

Does the OP NEED a 4WD or just want one . A 4WD is going to cost more to repair the front drive , vs RWD , if you put enough miles on it . 4WD will probably burn a little more gas .

Originally Posted by hal26
I have owned 2 Hemi Ram V8's and 2 Jeep Wranglers with the 3.6 Pentastar. I have to say the 3.6 is a weak motor that is stressed just pushing around a 4000 pound Jeep. I don't care what it says on paper, this thing is always revving and shifting up and down. I'm sure it is a tough LITTLE motor but why not run with the big dogs and get the 5.7 V8 hemi for a few hundred dollars more? I'm getting 18MPG overall.

Really? The pentastar in my wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't feel underpowered at all. Does the Wrangler have the 6 speed or 8 speed because the 8 speed makes the world of a difference. Like I said the Jeep GC we have with the 3.6/8 speed runs strong and gets good MPG's.

In our fleet is a 3.6L Charger with the 8 speed … good/smooth power.
I just rented a new Cherokee (not a GC) … OMG did I wish that thing had a Pentastar

Gotta like that powertrain. But please do consider Fiat Chryler Ram and their tendencies to rust. I have seen SO many rusty Chrsler 300's and Ram trucks - and I live in Vancouver where we clearly do not have rusty vehicles generally. This REALLY would give me pause.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Gotta like that powertrain. But please do consider Fiat Chryler Ram and their tendencies to rust. I have seen SO many rusty Chrsler 300's and Ram trucks - and I live in Vancouver where we clearly do not have rusty vehicles generally. This REALLY would give me pause.

Really? That's odd.

I only see older Rams that are rusty around here (like early 2000's). The newer GM trucks seem to rust quite a bit in the rear wheel wells here, the Fords hold up okay. With Fords it seems to be more isolated to the frame.

I have seen some horribly rusted 4th gens (2009+), but the same can be said for Chevys and Fords.

We have a member here who had some fender rust issues with his 2013-14 IIRC.

There are some notorious spots above all 4 fender wells where there is insulation bonded to the inside.

Recently spent time in both the v6 and the v8.

The v6 doesn't mesh as well with the 8-speed. Very jerky in stop and go driving. Likely due to being less powerful.

The interesting thing is that I got very similar MPG in both.

20-21 HWY for both.

The 5.7 and ZF combo is lights out. It's a no brainer in my opinion.

Proud owner of a 2019 RAM, bought last June. The 3.6 Pentastar paired with the 8sp trans and 3.55 gearing is an EXCELLENT combo.

My truck has plenty of power and towing capacity when needed, but shifts buttery smooth and delivers 20+ mpg in day to day driving. The RAM is the best value on the market. Just look at the sales numbers the past few years!

Originally Posted by dadto2
I have no experience with the Pentastar, but I can tell you that my Sierra (2WD) with the V6 has plenty of power. I get 24mpg highway, 20ish around town. I've been towing a 16' aluminum fishing boat (super lightweight) but will have an 18' fiberglass bow rider I/O this spring. I'll try to remember to report back on my towing experience after I drive down to Cincinnati to pick it up. I'll have 500 miles to tow it home. I expect it to be a breeze.

Update - I trailered the boat home on Saturday. As expected, it was a piece of cake. I set the cruise for 70 MPH and averaged 18 MPG from Cincinnati, OH to Rochester, NY. No trouble with the hills, transmission temps hung right around.195.

[Linked Image]

dadto2 said:

Update - I trailered the boat home on Saturday. As expected, it was a piece of cake. I set the cruise for 70 MPH and averaged 18 MPG from Cincinnati, OH to Rochester, NY. No trouble with the hills, transmission temps hung right around.195.

Nice!

Like the matching fiberglass cap.

[Linked Image]

I agree if it's the base V6 to V6 the GM powerplant beats anything from FCA and Ford. But the OP seemed very firm it was a inferior 3.6 Ram or nothing.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
dadto2 said:

Nice!

Nice! I'd take the RAM in a V6 or V8 over anything Ford or GM offers.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by hal26
I have owned 2 Hemi Ram V8's and 2 Jeep Wranglers with the 3.6 Pentastar. I have to say the 3.6 is a weak motor that is stressed just pushing around a 4000 pound Jeep. I don't care what it says on paper, this thing is always revving and shifting up and down. I'm sure it is a tough LITTLE motor but why not run with the big dogs and get the 5.7 V8 hemi for a few hundred dollars more? I'm getting 18MPG overall.

The v6 moves a 5,000lb Durango easily enough to get a mid-7s 0-60.. Or my 4,000lb 300 which I never have to exceed ~2,000~2,500rpm when accelerating if I didn't want too... or a 4,000lb Grand Caravan. All without crazy revving and shifting
21.gif

Pushes my Caravan with ease. Had 1200 load plus me and it didn't even care. No revving over normal as I got on interstate it didn't care. I have hauled more loads than I care to mention in 13k, Plenty of power from this V6.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Fattylocks
dadto2 said:

Nice!

Nice! I'd take the RAM in a V6 or V8 over anything Ford or GM offers.

Owning a late model Chevrolet and a Ram. The Chevrolet rides better, it drives like a truck, it's lower and heavier. Easier to maintain hauls and tows better. Real world fuel economy is close to 20 MPG which is a lot better than 17.8 from the Ram. The Ram gets 89 octane while the Chevy gets 87. The Chevrolet is quite a bit heavier being a Z71 package with aggressive off road Baja's and 4x4 while the Ram is a Big Horn 4x2. The Ram is quicker from a standstill and turns better. The 2019 Ram style is prettier to the 18 Silverado the performance edge as a truck goes to the Silverado.

On occasion the flex plate or as some will call it a flywheel, it can crack on the pentastar. Also there is a plastic resivoir for the oil filter that is under the intake manifold that will crack at around 100k or 7 - 10 years.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Owning a late model Chevrolet and a Ram. The Chevrolet rides better, it drives like a truck, it's lower and heavier. Easier to maintain hauls and tows better. Real world fuel economy is close to 20 MPG which is a lot better than 17.8 from the Ram. The Ram gets 89 octane while the Chevy gets 87. The Chevrolet is quite a bit heavier being a Z71 package with aggressive off road Baja's and 4x4 while the Ram is a Big Horn 4x2. The Ram is quicker from a standstill and turns better. The 2019 Ram style is prettier to the 18 Silverado the performance edge as a truck goes to the Silverado.

Is your Ram a pentastar? If so, just curious why the 89oct fuel. ~17.8mpg would be a low average fuel economy for one as well.

FWIW, my brother tows an 18ft fiberglass open bow boat similar to yours with his 2019 Ram 1500 classic, pentastar w/ 3.55gears. He loves it. They obviously don't have the rip-snortin' grunt of a hemi, but you should expect that going into it.

I've known 2 guys with late model GM 1500's with the 4.3L. Both loved the truck but hated the transmission mated to that engine so badly that they only kept their trucks for 1-2yrs and traded for other GMs w/out this combo.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Recently spent time in both the v6 and the v8.

The v6 doesn't mesh as well with the 8-speed. Very jerky in stop and go driving. Likely due to being less powerful.

The interesting thing is that I got very similar MPG in both.

20-21 HWY for both.

The 5.7 and ZF combo is lights out. It's a no brainer in my opinion.

till it developes the hemi tick around 100k

Back