2019 Toyota Tacoma Test Drive - My Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dippschtick
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ovtune-tacoma-3-5l-auto-transmission-engine-ecu-reflash.515190/

Quoted from the writer of the tune posted above:

"My opinion is that Toyota cared about 2 things when they created the tune in this truck.
1. Get best possible paper MPG
2. Get it there as cheap as possible.

Looking in the ECU you can see they were rushed. I don't want to say they cut corners, but they have budgets, and the budget probably didn't call for expanding and fine tuning."

How much money could it possibly cost one of the largest car manufacturers in the world to properly tune engine/transmission combinations that will be sold in tens of million of cars?!

Last edited:
From that link:
"I have a 19" tacoma trd offroad, manual six speed and the 3.5 liter. Any help for me?????!!!!!! This motor is a dog, I almost got run over by a corrola tuner the other day. "

shocked.gif

"The Tacoma is always going to suffer from poor gearing, which is what causes a lot of the drivability problems. So unless you re-gear, it isn't quite a fix-all."

...if the Tacoma would have had a nice powertrain, I would have absolutely gone for it.

I like mine a LOT! It is a base model SR access cab with the 2.7. Does everything it needs to do quite nicely. Traded in a 2018 Colorado 4x4 LT and couldn't be happier.

I wasn't impressed with the power of the old 4.0 in the Tacoma which was part of what led me to choose the Frontier. The Nissan 4.0 and 5 speed auto felt much better to me in the low and mid range. It's a bummer that the new Tacoma power train is a disappointment. I really like the looks of them and would love to own one some day.

Originally Posted by buster
From that link:
"I have a 19" tacoma trd offroad, manual six speed and the 3.5 liter. Any help for me?????!!!!!! This motor is a dog, I almost got run over by a corrola tuner the other day. "

shocked.gif

"The Tacoma is always going to suffer from poor gearing, which is what causes a lot of the drivability problems. So unless you re-gear, it isn't quite a fix-all."

That generally describes every Toyota.

I bought my last truck, an 07 Tacoma DCSB with the 4.0 from my parents when it was three years old. I drove it another 9 years (traded in December 2018) and loved every minute of it. The 4.0 and A750 transmission is a rock solid combo. I did the ECGS needle bearing replacement on the front diff (preventative maintenance) and had a few various recalls done but never really had any trouble out of it. I only traded it in because I needed a bigger tow rig. I wanted to keep it really badly, but it was just worth too much and I don't really drive enough to justify keeping 2 vehicles licensed, insured and maintained.

The one thing I didn't like about my 07 was the seating position on long trips, the seat sits too low or the floor is too high or something. More than 3 or 4 hours on the road and my back would start hurting.

I did test drive a 2016 Tacoma with the 3.5 when they first came out. It was a nice truck but didn't feel much different than my 07 to me. If I were to ever buy another Tacoma I think I'd most likely go with another second gen. I have driven a Frontier once and wasn't particularly impressed, it was just ok.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
I bought my last truck, an 07 Tacoma DCSB with the 4.0 from my parents when it was three years old. I drove it another 9 years (traded in December 2018) and loved every minute of it. The 4.0 and A750 transmission is a rock solid combo. I did the ECGS needle bearing replacement on the front diff (preventative maintenance) and had a few various recalls done but never really had any trouble out of it. I only traded it in because I needed a bigger tow rig. I wanted to keep it really badly, but it was just worth too much and I don't really drive enough to justify keeping 2 vehicles licensed, insured and maintained.

The one thing I didn't like about my 07 was the seating position on long trips, the seat sits too low or the floor is too high or something. More than 3 or 4 hours on the road and my back would start hurting.

I did test drive a 2016 Tacoma with the 3.5 when they first came out. It was a nice truck but didn't feel much different than my 07 to me. If I were to ever buy another Tacoma I think I'd most likely go with another second gen. I have driven a Frontier once and wasn't particularly impressed, it was just ok.

The seating position of the Tacoma is a popular complaint. It's almost car-like. In any full size truck, the seats are almost like a table chair where your legs can swing and flail down.

I had the same experience when driving a 2017 Tacoma. The trans was not up to par. Reluctant to downshift and runs straight to 6th and lockup. The 2018 Camry I had as a loaner was the same way, albeit, I am used to the Hybrid's CVT and linear delivery. The 3.5 was fine in the Tacoma, but I find it weird that a Sienna with the 3.5 w/o direct injection feels more potent. The 2GR needs either variable valve lift, or Valvematic. This would help beef up the low end and improve mileage. If I were to buy a Tacoma, I would seriously consider buying one with the 6-speed.

If I were to buy a Tacoma, I would seriously consider buying one with the 6-speed.

I hear ya. After driving a manual for the last 20 years, I'm over it. Especially in the Phill/NJ area. However, it is the better choice in the Tacoma only because the AT is awful.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
EPA LINK

I just can't see buying a small pickup over a fullsize, esp. when it gets worse mpg and has driveability issues due to a lack of power.

I agree, although my "new" house has a smaller garage. From my measurements my full size would fit, but barely. A smaller truck might fit. It makes me wonder about trading down, 'cept I don't plan to give up my car and thus the truck would sit in the yard anyhow.

With the exception of a Frontier, I think mid-size has a smaller turning radius than full size, and would have easier parking too.

Originally Posted by supton
EPA LINK

I just can't see buying a small pickup over a fullsize, esp. when it gets worse mpg and has driveability issues due to a lack of power.

I agree, although my "new" house has a smaller garage. From my measurements my full size would fit, but barely. A smaller truck might fit. It makes me wonder about trading down, 'cept I don't plan to give up my car and thus the truck would sit in the yard anyhow.

With the exception of a Frontier, I think mid-size has a smaller turning radius than full size, and would have easier parking too.

You're right. I avoid taking my Silverado to the grocery store just for that reason.

EPA LINK

The full size PU's are a better value.

MPG for most pickups seems to range from 15-24 mpg (combined).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back