Drove Several Mid-Size Trucks

Not a Frontier, but I drove my 1995 Nissan D21 Hardbody 4x4 for 19 years. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned and if I were in the market for a midsize truck, the Nissan would be the first one I would consider.

the frontier is a nice sized midsized truck compared to many smaller midsized + i love mine. automatic tranny-coolant issues are gone since 2011 + being outdated it has port injection, a good thing IMO. i average 19 mpg with mostly shorter trips with my 2011 SV + 6 spd manual. hands down the best value per $$$ IMO. i might add ALL 4wd pickup preces are NUTS so if not needed 2wd can save $$$ ever preowned are crazy overpriced!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
For $33K I'm buying a F-150 with the little EcoBoost and 10 speed transmission.

The OP is looking at mid size and doesn't want latest tech. 2 turbos,10 speed, dual injection, not exactly on his radar.

Not surprised about liking the Frontier, it's a solid truck. Plus it doesn't have the back end jacked up like a '70s redneck Chevelle....

I was pretty set on the Tacoma and the Frontier was initially my 2nd choice. After driving both I liked the Frontier the best. The 4.0 has plenty of power and in my opinion the Pro 4x interior is nice even if it is outdated. This is a proven drivetrain and a very solid truck. If you want a reliable truck without the newfangled tech the Frontier is the way to go.

I prefer the Taco but it's your money and only you can decide what's best. Remember the vehicle you buy today is the one you have to sell another day. Look at resale as well as brands and get a good color.

Frontier will get much worse gas millage and lower performance. Let alone the resell on them is pretty bad as well. If getting one shop around as many dealers are offering a fair amount off on them as they are slow movers.

I drive all three trucks in the original post at work and i really like the frontier. We had one with leather seats and a sunroof and it was very nice. The 4.0 makes great power. I may or may not have laid down some serious rubber in that truck. I hate the seating position of the tacoma. It feels like i am sitting in a car and i am not a huge fan of the interior. The colorado is ok but im not a huge fan of the looks. Near me the parts stores use the base models as parts trucks and it kind of cheapens the look of the truck when the parts trucks are all around.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Turning radius is awful on the frontier

I can absolutely agree on this. The 4x4 frontier has the most atrocious turning radius.

Sounds like you know what you want. I have a bias towards Toyota but, I dont love everything about what they do. At the end of the day, based on your feelings of driving the Taco, you wont like it. I wouldnt buy it for that reason alone. Buy what you like best, and knowing how you will maintain it, you will likely get many great years out of it.

THAT is the problem with mid-size trucks. Anyone who looks at the full size equivalent almost always buys it. There is not a big enough difference in price ...

Years back, the big three discontinued their mid-size trucks for this very reason. Not sure what's changed this time around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789

THAT is the problem with mid-size trucks. Anyone who looks at the full size equivalent almost always buys it. There is not a big enough difference in price ...

Years back, the big three discontinued their mid-size trucks for this very reason. Not sure what's changed this time around.

A market willing to purchase them.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
So you'd rather drive a truck that you like less than the others just because of the resale value?
confused2.gif

Of course, if it really bothered me I could just sell it. Sell it and buy a F150 2.7!

I agree 100% about the turning radius being bad but I never really expect the turning radius of any truck to be all that great. I have owned half ton Chevy and Dodge trucks as well as midsize trucks from Nissan and Ford and for me I prefer driving the midsize trucks.

Originally Posted by fisher83
I agree 100% about the turning radius being bad but I never really expect the turning radius of any truck to be all that great. I have owned half ton Chevy and Dodge trucks as well as midsize trucks from Nissan and Ford and for me I prefer driving the midsize trucks.

I'm not expecting a great turning radius but my friends F-550 utility bucket truck can turn in like half the radius of a Frontier.

Originally Posted by geeman789

The size of full size trucks. Too big to fit in a garage or public parking space. People who don't need a huge truck are now willing to pay a little more for something a lot more usable.

Have you driven more than one Tacoma? Maybe there was an issue going on with it. When I bought my 2005 new I test drove 3 of them, and one drove and ran much worse than the other two.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Have you driven more than one Tacoma? Maybe there was an issue going on with it. When I bought my 2005 new I test drove 3 of them, and one drove and ran much worse than the other two.

That could be it, but the new 8 speed has been pretty much universally panned.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That could be it, but the new 8 speed has been pretty much universally panned.

I'm pretty sure the Tacoma has a 6-speed auto trans.

Back