Drove Several Mid-Size Trucks

I apologize for multiple truck posts but I wanted to put everything in one post.

I've narrowed down my choices and am quite surprised what I have found.

2019 Tacoma - TRD Offroad
Price: $35,500 (internet price)
Built well, but the worst engine/transmission combination I've ever driven. I'm surprised how bad it is and it certainly matches up well with what others have been saying.

2019 Colorado Z71
Sticker Price: $38k - best price dealer could do is $36,900
Loved this truck. Looks great, and the engine/transmission was superior to the Tacoma. Interior is a little Fisher Price'sh which is typical for GM.
My concern is the transmission, however I talked to 2 technicians that said the fluid they are using now fixes it (not sure I agree) and they also said they are not getting any failures, just the "shudder". Priced too high.

2019 Frontier Pro-4x
$33k
I was blown away by this truck, especially because it hasn't changed in over 15 years! The 4.0V6 has great torque and the powerband is smooth. Transmission is so much smoother than the Tacoma.
While the looks are dated, both inside and out, the materials inside were on par or better than the Toyota. It is no wonder this truck continues to sell.

Next up will be the Ridgeline, but it's definitely not going to be my choice.

I'm pretty set on the Frontier. I wrote that truck off years ago. After test driving it, I really like it. It drove significantly better than the Tacoma.

Any reason not to the go with the dated Frontier? I don't care about all the technology they are adding to cars today. My priorities are - reliability, drivability and performance. The Nissan also has a rear locker.

Had a Fronty for seven years. Great truck! Ran well, hauled lots of weight when required (1200 pound gun safe up the steep mountain on 322 outside of Lewistown, PA) and never acted like it was loaded. Go for it.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Are there any good deals to be had on the Frontier?

I like it overall.

The dealer went from MSRP of $37 down to $33k. I don't know. It's solid and drove really well.

I heard the turning radius is bad but that's not enough to keep me from buying it.

My sister had an older Frontier for a looong time. Only issues, ever, were one O2 sensor and normal maintenance items. She sold it when it needed new catalytic converters are 220,000 miles.

I'm also thinking "why not the Ford"?

Originally Posted by buster
Any reason not to the go with the dated Frontier? I don't care about all the technology they are adding to cars today. My priorities are - reliability, drivability and performance. The Nissan also has a rear locker.
If you like it, buy it, a factory rear locker is nice to have. I'd rather overpay for the Taco than throw my money away buying a Nissan brand new. I don't trust their quality and Tacos have insane resale. It's a no-brainer to buy one if you want a new mid sized truck.

My brother owns a ten year old Frontier and swears by his truck. It served him well on the mountainous terrain of Hawaii's Big Island, and now does the same for him in Tucson. My brother is an avid outdoorsman who off-roads often.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you like it, buy it, a factory rear locker is nice to have. I'd rather overpay for the Taco than throw my money away buying a Nissan brand new. I don't trust their quality and Tacos have insane resale. It's a no-brainer to buy one if you want a new mid sized truck.

Well the Nissan Frontier is known to be very reliable, surprisingly.

My issue is I'm buying an old platform but it works.

"For those complaining about the Frontier being outdated and lacking technology, that's less things that will break. The VQ engine is proven, the transmission is proven and it comes with a locking rear differential. This is a man's truck. No frills. Just solid as a rock. And Nissan still sells the [censored] out of this outdated truck. American made by the way."

Originally Posted by maxdustington

So you'd rather drive a truck that you like less than the others just because of the resale value?
confused2.gif

For $33K I'm buying a F-150 with the little EcoBoost and 10 speed transmission.

The last little truck I bought was a 1993 Toyota 4WD. White single cab. $14,400 out the door. 22RE AT.
350K miles later it is still in service. Only been totaled once...

For what I'm looking for I think the Frontier (much to my surprise) is the way to go. I got them to go $1,500 under invoice on a Pro 4X.

A lot of it is subjective. The guy on TFL thought the Tacoma drove very well......but the Nissan did the best off-road here.

Link

Back