Drivers Slowing Down Excessively Over Bumps

Them low profile tires and lower stances on cars sure look cool though if you don't mind issues like described here.
Hardly crazy to run 40 ratio tires on a stock modern car and have a lower sport suspension stock on many cars that these lips cause issues with. Any time you lower your vehicle even by a small/mild amount you do have to make concessions on driveways, speedbumps, etc. and the people doing it typically understand that. I'll take the driving experience for the few downsides.

Once shattered a 22 in Mexico by hitting a pothole at night. Wasn't fun. Love me some meaty rubber on a little rim for a daily driver. The stock 17's are best. I can go over a pothole quickly and it takes it. With the 22's I had to slow down a lot and it got annoying.

Reactions: FZ1
There are a few streets in the old part of town that have speed bumps. They're pretty wide and low with shallow approach and departure angles. I can easily drive over them with the IROC at ~30MPH without the air dam under the radiator scraping.

They're pretty unobtrusive compared to the crowns in the middle of some of the intersections around here. I think I've gotten air in the Lexus when going thru some of them.

Not speed/calming humps, but I've noticed over the weekend while traveling though WV,TN,NC, VA several drivers we've been behind, are simply stopping in the middle of the road. There's no stop sign, no stop light, nothing crossed the road etc.. They're stopping because you're (me/us) are following too close.. So just be warned, that if you follow these panicky drivers, be prepared to stop for nothing behind them. They way we look at it, I/we know where we're going.. and apparently they don't or they're texting and can't pull over. In fact several drivers would actually pull over or act like they are turning until we pass then get back on the road.. I wouldn't say we tail gate, but seriously, drive the **** speed limit..

I am completely convinced that none of the construction contractors that work in Texas know how to build a proper railroad track approach. They're all worse than any country road I've ever driven on. Many of them remind me of the ramps they must have used to get the General Lee to clear the fishing pond. Not a single one of them are flush with the road like the ones I see in Charlotte, North Carolina... just as an example. But if I'm willing to drive my Mustang over them at 25 to 35 mph, surely the guy ahead of me in the jacked up F-250 doesn't even need to blink, but they're always the ones to slow down to 2 mph.

Not speed/calming humps, but I've noticed over the weekend while traveling though WV,TN,NC, VA several drivers we've been behind, are simply stopping in the middle of the road. There's no stop sign, no stop light, nothing crossed the road etc.. They're stopping because you're (me/us) are following too close.. So just be warned, that if you follow these panicky drivers, be prepared to stop for nothing behind them. They way we look at it, I/we know where we're going.. and apparently they don't or they're texting and can't pull over. In fact several drivers would actually pull over or act like they are turning until we pass then get back on the road.. I wouldn't say we tail gate, but seriously, drive the **** speed limit..
This isn't a "WV,TN,NC,VA" thing, it's a driver thing. I've done the same with people riding my @ss or having super bright headlights...I just pull over and let them go which I'm sure they appreciated.

Once shattered a 22 in Mexico by hitting a pothole at night. Wasn't fun. Love me some meaty rubber on a little rim for a daily driver. The stock 17's are best. I can go over a pothole quickly and it takes it. With the 22's I had to slow down a lot and it got annoying.
This^^^^^^^^^^. Small wheel /big tire for city potholes.

Slow down, people. :LOL:

A lot of the cars in the video are getting airborne over the traffic calming bumps. I never ever do that, getting airborne. I will slow down enough.

And I am the one getting a lot of flak for pointing out people slowing excessively.

I like my sidewall's like I like my women: strong, curvy, and resilient. This lo-pro nonsense is for the birds. I drive countless vehicles in any given month, and I can't believe how trash the ride is on some of these newer vehicles with rubber band tires and huge wheels. My WJ, wearing aftermarket 17x8 wheels wrapped in 245/65 Hankook Dynapro tires rides darn near as well as my last Seville.

reporting that we're having to now slow down over speed humps. Reason being is that we've just installed a set of 245/40/R19's on the van. Although the rear coils are still factory and sit the van up higher at the rear.. the Bilstein strut with factory coils actually lowered the front end of the van 3/4 inch thus we now have a scrub while driving over these humps and railroad tracks. I've told the shop we don't want to slam the van, but this is closes enough.

thinkin this whole exercise wuz 4 cars not trucks. (Mmmm, 3 mo break on this thread...

When I drive the bronk (1st gen) I drive entirely differently than the car (altho I still steer over near curb so only 1/2 axel 'hits' da bump). Just, as U, got a change (to install this winter) aftr mrkt leaves. An 11 pac, not the oh-so-stiff 5 pac OEMs. Thinkin more comfortable on/off rd and a lill better traction off rd~

Back