Speed bump installation on gravel road, does it certainly stop determined speeders?

if you live in my neck of the woods , nothing would stop them....most around my area have the pedal to the metal and what ever might be in the way so be it

Cities have been installing roundabouts in residential areas to slow down traffic at intersections. Some of the ideas above mimic those to an extent.

Speeders are annoying. Our neighborhood had speed bumps but removed them. A call for a fire truck or ambulance will soon reveal you don’t want them.

I live off of a gravel road and there is an easement that cuts into the end of the properties of myself and several other neighbors. It is a private road.

The issue at hand is that people fly through at 40+ mph. USPS, Fedex, and even 18 wheelers even come through and it takes it's toll on the road. There is no HOA either just a road maintenance agreement that no one honors. The end result is a road with huge potholes
First off, if it's a private residential road, why are there 18 wheelers coming through? Put up a sign saying no commercial vehicles over 20,000 pounds.

Second, what is your theory that drivers going 40+ mph cause potholes? I thought it was freeze thaw cycles of water cause them.

Third, why have you and the neighbors not paved the road by now?

I'm curious to know why all the traffic to begin with? Is the road a shortcut? Are they making deliveries to residents on the road? If the dirt road is "private", then you should absolutely have signs that say so. When they ignore those signs and simply use it as a shortcut...get the local law enforcement involved. All it would take is a trespassing charge and the world will get out quickly among truck drivers.

First off, if it's a private residential road, why are there 18 wheelers coming through? Put up a sign saying no commercial vehicles over 20,000 pounds.

Second, what is your theory that drivers going 40+ mph cause potholes? I thought it was freeze thaw cycles of water cause them.

From what I can find online, and assuming it’s a 2 lane gravel road.... the cost to build a new road would probably start at $30,000 for a quarter mile and only go up from there. Sounds like he’d have an easier time getting blood from a stone than getting his neighbors to agree to chipping in to pay for the road.

He already
From what I can find online, and assuming it’s a 2 lane gravel road.... the cost to build a new road would probably start at $30,000 for a quarter mile and only go up from there. Sounds like he’d have an easier time getting blood from a stone than getting his neighbors to agree to chipping in to pay for the road.
He already has a road. He just needs to pave it.

He already

He already has a road. He just needs to pave it.
They have a torn up gravel road, it needs a proper base put down before putting asphalt down if he wants it to last. Just slapping asphalt on top of that is a recipe to have it be all torn up again in very short order.

If we assume a 12ft wide road 1,320ft long and low ball it at even a $1 per square foot, that’s still $15,840.

1) I have no idea. I can't be out there to see why and neighbors here generally don't speak to each other. This effect is especially amplified during the pandemic. The only conversations I have are when I catch someone running into my lawn. How is the no commercial vehicles over 20k enforceable especially if I can't always see them? It's likely as unenforceable as anything else.

2) More than likely supported by your indication that 18 wheelers shouldn't be coming through. If you are correct about how potholes are formed then vehicles hitting existing potholes at high speed isn't helping.

3) I moved here just about 2 years ago. The community is not that old. Others have been here for maybe 4 years max. For starters, there is no HOA. Now I don't know what part of Suburban DC you live in but I live in exurban DC. Everyone here ALWAYS has something to say and is invariably smarter than everyone else. Getting 2 people to agree on anything is next to impossible nevermind 6. Some neighbors will cite that they do not know about the existing road agreement that they signed, others will cite poverty, others will cite that the potholes are helpful in slowing down speeders (lol) and specifically don't want the road paved for that reason.

I live on private dirt road that is a couple of miles long. I used to maintain it so that it was a pleasure to drive on, now I don't do much to it at all.

A family moved in and they have many friends that visit, the better the road, the faster they drove.

I do nothing to the road now, they complain, but drive slower, if they don't drive slower they pay for it in vehicle repairs.

Rocks, logs or concrete blocks work well to keep people on the road and not in your yard.

Which is more important, a peaceful attitude in the neighborhood, or a war over fast driving on a dirt road.

Paving a dirt road is extremely expensive, and the maintenance costs go up substantially.

I'm curious to know why all the traffic to begin with? Is the road a shortcut? Are they making deliveries to residents on the road? If the dirt road is "private", then you should absolutely have signs that say so. When they ignore those signs and simply use it as a shortcut...get the local law enforcement involved. All it would take is a trespassing charge and the world will get out quickly among truck drivers.

Actually, the folks at the end of the road have a large property and with that comes lots of maintenance, deliveries, etc. The road has only one inlet to the main road and dead ends at that property. One neighbor seems to be a tutor and adopts lots of kids along with bringing in unknown families who have allegedly fallen on hard time.

I concur with this. It is also quite difficult to get anyone from an asphalt company to even show up. There must be an abundance of work for them. When I had another property I tried to get someone to show up and could not. They would just give an incredibly high estimate so that you would say no. In desperation at that time, I said yes to their estimates and was ghosted. This happens alot here.

You need more than 1 speed bump. You need 5 or so spaced 5-6 ft apart. 1 won't do any good but hitting a row of them sure will.
Oh I agree. It's just what the another poster mentioned....vengeful folks doing burnouts between the speed bumps.

Actually, the folks at the end of the road have a large property and with that comes lots of maintenance, deliveries, etc. The road has only one inlet to the main road and dead ends at that property. One neighbor seems to be a tutor and adopts lots of kids along with bringing in unknown families who have allegedly fallen on hard time.
And that requires 18 wheelers going 40 mph? How long is this road? And just what are these neighbors doing? Maybe a call to zoning or code enforcement is in order.

Back