Speed bump installation on gravel road, does it certainly stop determined speeders?

I live off of a gravel road and there is an easement that cuts into the end of the properties of myself and several other neighbors. It is a private road.

The issue at hand is that people fly through at 40+ mph. USPS, Fedex, and even 18 wheelers even come through and it takes it's toll on the road. There is no HOA either just a road maintenance agreement that no one honors. The end result is a road with huge potholes and guests of these people anonymously driving through each owner's lawn to avoid the potholes which makes a muddy impossible to mow mess. We are some distance from the road and catching people on cam is a bit tough as dialup is not even an option here. Before you ask, I am using a hotspot.

Before I put down new gravel on my area of the road (yes it will be compacted etc) to hopefully encourage others to do so I am going to put fence posts up so drivers won't run my lawn over. With the investment of gravel, I plan on putting up or creating speed bumps along my portion of the gravel road.

My question is whether or not speed bumps actually force a determined driver to slow down. As it sits, the guests just go through the potholes as quickly as they can and don't care about their suspensions. Some of the folks appear to be rather wealthy and play dune buggy with their Outbacks when they go through. When it comes to drivers for companies coming through they could care less since it is not their vehicle getting damaged.

Do speed bumps slow down determined drivers who are willing to damage their vehicles and rattle their fillings to shave a few seconds of time going down the road?

I understand the potential liability for getting sued if someone damages their vehicle on the road. I have an attorney handy for that.

This is like something out of Mad Max, lol.

Thanks.

I can't visualize what a speed bump on a gravel road would look like. Gravel roads are already very unpleasant to drive on since the underside of the vehicle just gets pelted and you hear every thud and plink.

The people speeding down it at 40 aren't going to care, IMO.

You could put some concrete barriers in the middle of the road in a diamond shape along with some of the same barriers on the edges that funnels drivers into hairpin turns, forcing them to slow down. Or you could use some big rocks to achieve the same effect

You could put some concrete barriers in the middle of the road in a diamond shape along with some of the same barriers on the edges that funnels drivers into hairpin turns, forcing them to slow down. Or you could use some big rocks to achieve the same effect
Any pics of such an arrangement? Not familiar with it sans the rocks. I want it to look "politically correct" if possible. Thanks.

Don't put more gravel, dig more potholes. potholes will slow the car down.

But, even though it's a private road, you have to check with the local township, as if it's not approved by the township, you'll probably be liable in case they sue. In America, people like to sue.

Don't put more gravel, dig more potholes. potholes will slow the car down.

But, even though it's a private road, you have to check with the local township, as if it's not approved by the township, you'll probably be liable in case they sue. In America, people like to sue.
Interesting take on digging more potholes....maybe you are right. Potholes equals negligent owner. Bumps more likely to equate to negligent driver. Like I said, lawyer on tap. Ready to roll.

Forgive my terrible MS Paint "skills" but here's kinda what I was suggesting earlier. You could make it not so obnoxious looking if you just raised up the center section and planted some trees or something in the middle and lined the edges of the turn with some big ornamental rocks.

traffic_calming.png

Forgive my terrible MS Paint "skills" but here's kinda what I was suggesting earlier. You could make it not so obnoxious looking if you just raised up the center section and planted some trees or something in the middle and lined the edges of the turn with some big ornamental rocks.

View attachment 39983
Ahh ok thanks. This gravel road is narrow enough where it is only passible by one vehicle though. Wacha think? FWIW your MS Paint skills are golden!

Then put the obstruction on one edge and create a hairpin turn? What about posting some official looking speed limit signs?

https://www.myparkingsign.com/

View attachment 39984
Interesting. They drive that far out into my grass anyways. Make it like Rodeo drive. There is a 10mph sign at the beginning of the road but even the postmaster ignores it citing that USPS can drive at least 25mph per local ordinance. They just made that up since there is nothing like that in the municode.

Typically speed bumps actually are counter productive on longer roads with low speed limits, people get ticked off and floor it between bumps, the normal solution is narrowing of the road (bicycle lanes, cross walk jug outs). Not a solution on a gravel driveway. My aunt does have a speed bump on her own gravel road, it works you just buy the big yellow ones and drive a long spike down. I wouldn’t do it on a regular road unless it’s a dead end.

Typically speed bumps actually are counter productive on longer roads with low speed limits, people get ticked off and floor it between bumps, the normal solution is narrowing of the road (bicycle lanes, cross walk jug outs). Not a solution on a gravel driveway. My aunt does have a speed bump on her own gravel road, it works you just buy the big yellow ones and drive a long spike down. I wouldn’t do it on a regular road unless it’s a dead end.

Yeah, that thought was in the back of my head. The younger me would have just floored it between bumps creating even more damage. There has to be some other younger versions of me out there with similar minds.

Meh.....Maybe I will just do like all of the neighbors and let the potholes keep growing.

Another idea.... put a little gravel on the muddy spots where they drive over.

The kicker... hide a spike strip in the gravel.... so when they drive onto your property, they'll get a surprise... best scenario, they need 2 new tires.

Make sure you put a private property sign.. do not drive onto private property

I live on a private gravel road also but we have an advantage. We have a drainage ditch that runs down both sides of the road with culvert pipe at our driveways. In many places the ditch is not deep enough to stop a 4 wheel drive but it gets deeper as you approach each driveway. I have noticed more neighborhoods with signs that says DIP AHEAD 10 MPH and a good rolling 10" deep trench does not make an impression at 10 mph but hit it going 40 and your airborn and believe me most suspension is not equipped to handle it, the other new thing I saw was a very wide speed bump where your front was going down about the same time the rear was going up, I did not test it but it felt very convincing at just 15 mph.

Back