Drivers Slowing Down Excessively Over Bumps

If there's been road work and that temporary patch or large iron plate is used that sits an inch or so above the roadway to allow traffic to continue is used, i will most surely slow down significantly...but not abruptly.

We deliberately drive over the speed bumps (calming humps) because the van is and will get lower with new coil springs. However this is not the only reason, Maryland roads have been terrible this year, so much so, that the our struts after only 2 years are completely shot. replaced the front struts and waiting on the rear shocks now.

OP, let me give you a different perspective on it: If you have back problems like I do, every bump or pothole is like a knife to your spine. If you take them slow enough they are like a pinch to your spine. The amount of jolt they generate to the back is related to the speed you take them at. And something that people without back pain do not often understand is that many times once something aggravates a bad back the pain stays with that person for several hours, and sometimes even until the end of the day and they have have time to lay down for several hours. There is a reason why people with severe back pain have a high rate of suicide. This is some very painful stuff we are dealing with.

When I buy a vehicle the number one concern is how well it rides over bumps and potholes and isolates the bumps from the road for me so my back is not abused any more than it has to be. I also chose vehicles with tires rims that are small compared to others so there is more rubber between the rim and the road to help absorb bumps in the road.

Slow down for a speed bump, you bet you, that is me. And while I am doing it I am cursing the bureaucrats that put it there. I know there is a need to keep traffic at a slow speed on streets that kids play on. But there are smart speed bumps that do not jolt a slow vehicle. But no one around here will shell out the extra cost of them. They just put in the cheap speed bumps, and torture everyone with a bad back.

So the next time your behind someone who goes super slow on some kind of road bump, maybe you could consider that that person might have serious back pain and is just trying to make it through each day for their families sake, and that speed bumps can generate a lot of pain for some people if taken fast.

I understand your rant, and I hope you can understand mine.
Thnx 4 speaking up. I didnt think of that.
I leave the 2 curb side tires in the 'open zone'.
I also hit'em at 25, 30 MPH.
I go slo/fast enuff so those who speed up, slow down, speed up slo dwn do not
impeade my steady state of speed.

Sounds like a time management issue on your behalf; had you left a couple of minutes earlier, you probably wouldn't be behind that person...

"hey, you talkin ta me?"
Are you talkin ta me
(Denero)

"...you probably wouldn't be behind..."
I'm not behind them. They're infrnt of me.

"... a time management issue on your behalf..."
it's all perfect. Besides, no 1 manages time - they allow it to manage them by being concerned about it~

Post #44 is the AENewman "What me Worry" approach

Last edited:
Thnx 4 speaking up. I didnt think of that.
I leave the 2 curb side tires in the 'open zone'.
I also hit'em at 25, 30 MPH.
I go slo/fast enuff so those who speed up, slow down, speed up slo dwn do not
impeade my steady state of speed.

This is ridiculous trolling.

Anytime I can safely avoid any disturbance in any road I definitely do... potholes, manhole cover edges, transitions on/off bridges, debris, etc.
One of the main 30mph city roads in a nearby city has so many holes and bumps for multiple miles that every time I drive on it all the swerving is like playing a video game. Makes me wonder where all the city's money goes.

Razor, this is exactly what happen to us and on a 2020 Connect. Dealership/shops said thats the struts are too new to need replaced. Although while at the performance shop, we found out other wise. we had to replace the struts and end links, but upgraded them in the process. There was ZERO articulation left in the struts as they were just resting on the factory coils. went with Bilstein B6 struts with the factory coil the van is a little lower in the front after this install and it's going to get lower even more.

Last edited:
Many years ago when riding my motorcycle I hit a 3-1/2” cut before a concrete bridge. It nearly threw me off the bike. The impact bent my rim. I contacted the city who referred me to the contractor doing the road work who referred me to their insurance company. After insinuating that I was speeding they paid for repairs. This was when I learned to lace a wire wheel. So don’t think you have to accept shoddy road work.

More specifically, bumps with a sharp ninety degree edge, created by the asphalt being cut and 2 to 4 ins of ashphalt removed on one side of the cut. Drivers will slow to a crawl and gingerly drive over the bump. I will drive over the same bump at 8 to 10 mph without giving it a second thought.

I am guessing these drivers have had bent or cracked rims by drivng over these bumps. Low profile tires and alloy rims lead to costly damage.

I have never owned a vehicle with tire profile lower than 70. I have had trucks for the last forty years and, prior to that, had VW Beetles and 411s and buses with high profile tires. These bumps have never bothered me.
I slow way down for those - I'm lowered a bit and run 35-40 aspect tires. So you win an award for this? Not everyone wants to drive what you do.

huh... I thought a Bristol was a pretty kool car, the Bug too.
Guess I'm too practical 'n drive such vehicles. Not many
probs w/"the bumps" either. Just different choices I guess...

It all depends on if I know the bump, and how jarring it is. There are some where I’ll do that because hitting them slams any vehicle pretty hard. If someone doesn’t like it, too bad. I’m not going to destroy my stuff for them, and the bumps are probably there because someone got killed there due to idiots blasting through too fast.

Others I’ll take at more speed if I know they don’t hurt too bad to hit. Nobody likes wasting inertia and time…

There's just a lot of folks out there that seem to be sort of in a trance, driving around very oddly. I see them everywhere, every day and they seem to be multiplying.

One of the most bizarre is the person "in a hurry" that zigs through traffic then sits still way after a light turns green and the traffic in front of them has left them sitting, and they pass you several times while trying to get ahead of traffic. You eventually leave them so far behind, at your moderate rate, that you can't even see them anymore. They're back there somewhere, zigging in and out of cars, sitting at traffic lights 10-15 seconds after it's turned green... then hurrying again.

What do these people do for a living? Could they possibly be of any positive use to society?

There are strange sub levels of "human" being forked off the legitimate line of humans.
And there are people on this planet actively working to rid society of them. Be careful what you wish for; someday, you will be the useless eater in their crosshairs!

How can they legally leave such a tall edge 4" without a temporary ramp, something like asphalt or whatever? Seems wrong, even with caution / slow down signs. I don't care personally, I run stock steelies with plenty of sidewall. Just saying.

Considering "Traffic Calming Measures" are there to get you to slow down, that's what I always do regardless of what vehicle I'm driving; keep it under 5 MPH.

Some of the speed bumps around here are really just meant for SUVs and trucks with higher ground clearance, and really sucks for folks driving sports cars.

Back