Speed bump installation on gravel road, does it certainly stop determined speeders?

I live on private dirt road that is a couple of miles long. I used to maintain it so that it was a pleasure to drive on, now I don't do much to it at all.

A family moved in and they have many friends that visit, the better the road, the faster they drove.

I do nothing to the road now, they complain, but drive slower, if they don't drive slower they pay for it in vehicle repairs.

Rocks, logs or concrete blocks work well to keep people on the road and not in your yard.

Which is more important, a peaceful attitude in the neighborhood, or a war over fast driving on a dirt road.

Paving a dirt road is extremely expensive, and the maintenance costs go up substantially.
...and once again, this is likely where I am headed.

And that requires 18 wheelers going 40 mph? How long is this road? And just what are these neighbors doing? Maybe a call to zoning or code enforcement is in order.

The 18 wheelers seem to be driving reasonably. I'd say the road is about 1 mile to maybe 1.5 mile long tops. My home is at around the .5 mile mark. Maybe you are right. This area is zoned agricultural A-3 so I am not sure if they can help. At my old residence, it was also zoned A-3 and my neighbors would let their grass grow 4 feet high. As a result, I could not see oncoming traffic and nearly had an accident.

Unfortunately, I can't see what these neighbors are doing at the end of the road. There is conveniently a set of no trespassing signs there. :)

Last edited:
Actually, this brings rise to another interesting issue.

USPS will no longer deliver here. One of my neighbors caught the USPS guy driving at excessive speed. He confronted them about it.
The carrier basically said "....oh yeah well now no one on this road will get deliveries because of you". Your road is impassible.

Turns out that they now ONLY deliver to him. I have this all on video. Must have greased the wheels somehow even though he is further down this ratty road than I am.

I complained to my State Senators and the Postmaster and it's crickets.🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

I'm curious to know why all the traffic to begin with? Is the road a shortcut? Are they making deliveries to residents on the road? If the dirt road is "private", then you should absolutely have signs that say so. When they ignore those signs and simply use it as a shortcut...get the local law enforcement involved. All it would take is a trespassing charge and the world will get out quickly among truck drivers.
Same reason I am always complaining about cars showing up @ my place. Seems people pick all hours to go joy riding and exploring.

There's got to be a way the town you're in, or authority with jurisdiction, can require you and your neighbors to honor the road maintenance contract. Maybe they can get a court order to fix the road in 30 days or they'll do it and bill everyone, put liens on property, etc.

As for the speed bumps, you could engineer in some "erosion control", particularly if you're on a hill. It's basically railroad ties meant to level things out so water doesn't rush down.

You sound generous. Don't be. Let things degrade some more until people finally pay up. If you make things nice in front of your house people will go twice as fast to "make up time" or avenge the previously poor conditions.

There's got to be a way the town you're in, or authority with jurisdiction, can require you and your neighbors to honor the road maintenance contract. Maybe they can get a court order to fix the road in 30 days or they'll do it and bill everyone, put liens on property, etc.

As for the speed bumps, you could engineer in some "erosion control", particularly if you're on a hill. It's basically railroad ties meant to level things out so water doesn't rush down.

You sound generous. Don't be. Let things degrade some more until people finally pay up. If you make things nice in front of your house people will go twice as fast to "make up time" or avenge the previously poor conditions.
I really like this.

I've lived on private roads for 40 years or so, this type of action doesn't typically end well for any of the parties involved. My close friends have gone through through this too.

The road is put in and the first few residents have an adequate dirt road, not great, but not bad either. As time goes by, and new people move into the area, what was once considered "out in the country" is now where people with more money start moving to.

As more people with larger bank accounts move onto to the dirt road they tend to take control of the road and future plans. Many want it paved with speed bumps, lines painted, guard rails, etc.

When those with less money say they can't afford tossing $25-50,000 into the fund, or refuse to, one of the higher income individuals that happens to be an attorney, or the brother is, takes them to court.

Now the war starts, it becomes a very unpleasant place to live. Those without deep pockets can be crushed by legal fees and/or liens.

The best bet is to do what maintenance is possible to keep the road adequate on your own, if someone really wants huge improvements they can fund them as their bank account allows.

Escalating road issues rarely ends well.

Last edited:
Do they still do oil mats? It might be called something else there. That would be a cheaper alternative perhaps. The other idea would be to grade it and lay down crushed rock.

As for bumps, another idea would be shallow trenches. If you get big rains there they could help with drainage too. Run the trench or bump on a diagonal.

🌲

I've lived on private roads for 40 years or so, this type of action doesn't typically end well for any of the parties involved. My close friends have gone through through this too.

The road is put in and the first few residents have an adequate dirt road, not great, but not bad either. As time goes by, and new people move into the area, what was once considered "out in the country" is now where people with more money start moving to.

As more people with larger bank accounts move onto to the dirt road they tend to take control of the road and future plans. Many want it paved with speed bumps, lines painted, guard rails, etc.

When those with less money say they can't afford tossing $25-50,000 into the fund, or refuse to, one of the higher income individuals that happens to be an attorney, or the brother is, takes them to court.

Now the war starts, it becomes a very unpleasant place to live. Those without deep pockets can be crushed by legal fees and/or liens.

The best bet is to do what maintenance is possible to keep the road adequate on your own, if someone really wants huge improvements they can fund them as their bank account allows.

Escalating road issues rarely ends well.

So interesting that you mention this. The situation which you articulated is going down but actually in reverse sort of. The folks at the end of the road are Doctors. Per the road agreement, they are exclusively responsible for maintaining their part of the road and almost the 1st half mile mile of the road.

Their disposition is to claim ignorance as to their responsibility for this road. Go ahead and sue me I'd imagine they are thinking.

Do they still do oil mats? It might be called something else there. That would be a cheaper alternative perhaps. The other idea would be to grade it and lay down crushed rock.

As for bumps, another idea would be shallow trenches. If you get big rains there they could help with drainage too. Run the trench or bump on a diagonal.

🌲
Sounds like a possibility on the grading and crushed rock but again everyone would have to agree to it and I have no lawful standing to fill in potholes on other parts of the roads without the other neighbor's consent and not sure that I'd want to do that for them out of pocket.

I would love for it to be graded, have crusher run down topped off with asphalt millings. No more dirty cars. I mentioned asphalt millings and one neighborhood looked at me like I had 2 heads. Another neighbor advises he can get asphalt millings for free but no plate compactor or roller etc.

Still, that would require approval from all of the other neighbors who think that the damaged gravel road going through their property is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Have you considered a traffic circle, and the center is raised with a 12 inch abrupt concrete curb. the inside filled with 2 feet of pea gravel like the use for runoff ramps. The one they built near me, lasted 2 weeks until a semi hit the center, tore out the front axle, totaling the truck and tore the front of the trailer out as the load kept moving. However traffic slows or else.

Rod

I think either you get lawyers involved on enforcing your road agreement, get the city to take over your road, or start digging little holes in the road at night which will eventually turn the road into a cratered mess where only Ford Raptors dare to go fast. Also since its a private road you could turn it into 2 dead end roads to get rid of the through traffic. Probably planting some fast growing dense trees along the road edge would be a good step incase things are never solved.

I think in this case it is necessary to act decisively and seek justice from the local authorities. This situation is not normal. Why can someone freely drive through your property and it can't even be prevented beforehand? Of course, you need to enlist the support of a lawyer. It is desirable that he understands such issues. It would also be nice if the local authorities set a speed limit on the sections (if it's possible). Usually speed bumps help in many cases, but apparently, you have some idiots passing by. I guess getting some paving services is necessary in your case...it'd be really weird if the local authorities will reject your purpose.

My wife purchased a Radar Gun for me, as it was fascinating just how fast people were going down my rural back road. I'm a race car guy, so really don't care much about speeders. But a few were over 100mph in a 25 zone. A dog being walked on a leash was hit and killed by one of my drunk redneck neighbors. I found these people impossible to deal with. They are perfectly happy to knock down fences then tear up your yard, trespass, drive drunk, argue, shoot at the house and car, the arguments led to armed conflict.

I wish I had answers, I don't. Americans are a very independent group, and many simply do what ever they want, regardless of who they harm or place at risk.

The resolution to my situation included the arresting officers from these people's previous crimes, in a "remember me" type situation. That put them on notice. As those officers clearly indicated a full and immediate confiscation of their belongings, homes, cars, boats etc.

Without a powerful authority willing to take charge, the conflict would not have resolved itself and death would have resulted. It's anybody's guess who would have died first.

Back