Drivers Slowing Down Excessively Over Bumps

We have a set of dippy train tracks with some minor potholes.
its in a 25mph speed trap.

Some people hit it at 35-40mph and almost go airborne/hit their head on the roof.
but I saw a Jeep Wrangler rubicon stop like a school bus the other day.. I was laughing so hard.

Literally stopped then creeped over it.

I mean its not that bad you can take your vette over it at 20-25 and just get a jolt.

The guy behind you in a truck thinks you slow down excessively, because he was going to drive over it at 20MPH.

He‘s wondering why and why you didn’t buy something with better tires.
Cut to me being used to driving a Mustang that when I am in my F-350 I slow to a crawl over bumps. Except when I first got it and the shocks sucked so I would launch it.

We have a set of dippy train tracks with some minor potholes.
its in a 25mph speed trap.

Some people hit it at 35-40mph and almost go airborne/hit their head on the roof.
but I saw a Jeep Wrangler rubicon stop like a school bus the other day.. I was laughing so hard.

I once had a plumbing van tailgating me. Speed limit there 35MPH. There's a rough railroad crossing.

I didn't slow down for it. I saw the plumbing van hit it at 35MPH right behind me.

I bet he was cleaning pipe fittings off the floor of his van for the next month!

More specifically, bumps with a sharp ninety degree edge, created by the asphalt being cut and 2 to 4 ins of ashphalt removed on one side of the cut. Drivers will slow to a crawl and gingerly drive over the bump. I will drive over the same bump at 8 to 10 mph without giving it a second thought.
A 4" edge is more than half the ground clearance of a typical car. That can be a problem at speed.

When in a car instead of a taller vehicle, it can be harder to see how tall the bump is. If you think it's a small bump but it's not, that can be a problem.

A 4" edge is more than half the ground clearance of a typical car. That can be a problem at speed.

When in a car instead of a taller vehicle, it can be harder to see how tall the bump is. If you think it's a small bump but it's not, that can be a problem.
I want to correct myself, I should have said 1 to 2 ins, not 2 to 4 ins. You do not come across 4 in cuts on the road.

Even a 1 in cut will bring some drivers to a crawl.

OP, let me give you a different perspective on it: If you have back problems like I do, every bump or pothole is like a knife to your spine. If you take them slow enough they are like a pinch to your spine. The amount of jolt they generate to the back is related to the speed you take them at. And something that people without back pain do not often understand is that many times once something aggravates a bad back the pain stays with that person for several hours, and sometimes even until the end of the day and they have have time to lay down for several hours. There is a reason why people with severe back pain have a high rate of suicide. This is some very painful stuff we are dealing with.

When I buy a vehicle the number one concern is how well it rides over bumps and potholes and isolates the bumps from the road for me so my back is not abused any more than it has to be. I also chose vehicles with tires rims that are small compared to others so there is more rubber between the rim and the road to help absorb bumps in the road.

Slow down for a speed bump, you bet you, that is me. And while I am doing it I am cursing the bureaucrats that put it there. I know there is a need to keep traffic at a slow speed on streets that kids play on. But there are smart speed bumps that do not jolt a slow vehicle. But no one around here will shell out the extra cost of them. They just put in the cheap speed bumps, and torture everyone with a bad back.

So the next time your behind someone who goes super slow on some kind of road bump, maybe you could consider that that person might have serious back pain and is just trying to make it through each day for their families sake, and that speed bumps can generate a lot of pain for some people if taken fast.

I understand your rant, and I hope you can understand mine.
Thanks, JimPghPA for explaining your situation. I have never met anyone with your kind of back pain.

I get a flair of irrational “c’mon really?!” when I come across people doing that, but the more sensible part of my brain immediately reminds me that people like JimPghPa are out and about and that one time I got a wicked muscle spasm in my back that felt like I was being stabbed with every little bump in the road, so I calm down and go on about my day normally.

I want to correct myself, I should have said 1 to 2 ins, not 2 to 4 ins. You do not come across 4 in cuts on the road.

Even a 1 in cut will bring some drivers to a crawl.

Around here they usually apply some asphalt to the cut to make it an angle. But sometimes they forget even when it's a 4" cut.

Anytime I can safely avoid any disturbance in any road I definitely do... potholes, manhole cover edges, transitions on/off bridges, debris, etc. That would likely explain why I've never had a flat in transit, never any noticeable alignment issues, etc. Can't begin to count how many vehicles I see sitting abandoned on 85/40 near me with tires shredded, suspension part failures to the point the vehicle is bottomed out, etc. Also, I like to maximize the lifespan of costly tires as well as never having had to replace a single wheel due to damage.

Will also add that due to brain/inner ear nerve damage 4 yrs ago I avoid things as mentioned because of the insane rip effect it has on me. The typical thump, thump with a road disturbance as most drivers would feel it is like a jackhammer in the back of my skull at times. If any other drivers have an issue with my level of avoidance with those triggers I strongly encourage them to bring it to my attention, bwahahaha...

There is a bridge expansion joint I honestly didn't even know was there with my truck - 75 series tires on 16 inch rims.

First time I drove over it with my wife's Toyota - 55 series tires on 19 inch rims - I thought I lost all my fillings. I slow right down now. The Toyota came from the factory with those rims, no other option in that trim. I can't imagine anything lower profile but lots of vehicles come with worse.

If your biggest complaint where you drive is people slowing down for bumps, consider yourself exceptionally lucky. It seems like someone is trying to kill me every time I drive around here.

OP, let me give you a different perspective on it: If you have back problems like I do, every bump or pothole is like a knife to your spine. If you take them slow enough they are like a pinch to your spine. The amount of jolt they generate to the back is related to the speed you take them at. And something that people without back pain do not often understand is that many times once something aggravates a bad back the pain stays with that person for several hours, and sometimes even until the end of the day and they have have time to lay down for several hours. There is a reason why people with severe back pain have a high rate of suicide. This is some very painful stuff we are dealing with.

When I buy a vehicle the number one concern is how well it rides over bumps and potholes and isolates the bumps from the road for me so my back is not abused any more than it has to be. I also chose vehicles with tires rims that are small compared to others so there is more rubber between the rim and the road to help absorb bumps in the road.

Slow down for a speed bump, you bet you, that is me. And while I am doing it I am cursing the bureaucrats that put it there. I know there is a need to keep traffic at a slow speed on streets that kids play on. But there are smart speed bumps that do not jolt a slow vehicle. But no one around here will shell out the extra cost of them. They just put in the cheap speed bumps, and torture everyone with a bad back.

So the next time your behind someone who goes super slow on some kind of road bump, maybe you could consider that that person might have serious back pain and is just trying to make it through each day for their families sake, and that speed bumps can generate a lot of pain for some people if taken fast.

I understand your rant, and I hope you can understand mine.
I presume you already do, but a thick memory foam seat cushion helps a lot. I don't have any back problems but I drive a lot for work, and the cushion takes the jarring away.

Smooth roads and safe travels.

There is a bridge expansion joint I honestly didn't even know was there with my truck - 75 series tires on 16 inch rims.

First time I drove over it with my wife's Toyota - 55 series tires on 19 inch rims - I thought I lost all my fillings. I slow right down now. The Toyota came from the factory with those rims, no other option in that trim. I can't imagine anything lower profile but lots of vehicles come with worse.

If your biggest complaint where you drive is people slowing down for bumps, consider yourself exceptionally lucky. It seems like someone is trying to kill me every time I drive around here.
I replaced the 17" wheels/50-profile tires on the Mazda5 with 16"/55.

Made a very positive difference.

Would have gone with 15"/60 if I could have.

1" step I'll maybe let off the gas, for a 2" step I would slow down a bit. Rounded speed bumps and humps, I don't usually slow down for them either, but I don't speed in areas with these either. Some of the pedestrian raised crossings are decent table tops, but I only do jumps when there's no pedestrians around. With new KYB struts and rear shocks, I found my Focus could catch a bit of air without a harsh landing on frost humps one winter, also that the cruise control doesn't care if you have a bit of a rev flare in the air, it just keeps the throttle on...
I don't think strut suspension alignment is really effected by vertical loads until you are breaking bumpstops or moving the strut towers? Not in my experience anyways.
Even popping a strut tower up a 1/4" or so didn't really effect the alignment on my Neon greatly(that off track excursion at a lapping day was hard enough vertical hit to bend my seat rails down....) it pulled moderately to the right if you let go of the wheel, but nothing else looked worse for wear in the suspension.
Both my current cars are on high profile tires and for the street, that's fine with me.

Just after reading this topic, the Lyft driver last night slowed to 10MPH in a 35 zone, over the very smooth speed bumps.

I take asphalt construction edges one tire at a time at an angle and pretty slowly (when I can see them) , even when in the SUV, because I don't want to shock the suspension...less wear right?

Anyway, ran over a brick sized Styrofoam bumper absorber left in a highway from pervious wreck going about 70. Styrofoam doesn't defect much and is very solid. Loud noise, massive thump, maybe even some air. That was 15 years ago but the original shocks on my 05 Scion are still working fine 160k miles later.

Back