Down side of partial oil changes?

People: I am too lazy to pull a filter and fill with new oil that takes about 30 minutes
Also People: I have 30 minutes to siphon off oil and top off.

If you don't want to do it yourself, why not bring it in? Like Yoda said, " there is no try, just do! " When it comes to oil, it's all or nothing.

You are leaving the majority of dirty, worn oil in the crankcase. You are accomplishing very little with your methods which I can't understand..
Nextime, only drain a couple of gallons of dirty bathwater out your tub then replenish with new before taking a dunk. Same principle.
If you don't shower before and after taking a bath you have only marinated in dirt and soap anyway. 🤣

Update:
I finally changed the oil but still no filter change. Sent an oil sample in. The oil used was a mix of mostly 5W30 with a little 0W20 and 5W40 thrown in. Filter has been on over 3 years now and about 13,000 miles. Perhaps November of 24 I'll change it. The oil seems to be doing okay. Depending on how many miles are put on it by next fall, I may change the oil rather than my recent drain a little and top up method.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 38
I don't like getting under my car and I don't drive as much as I used to so I have simply siphoned a quart out of the sump and added enough to bring it up to full mark for the last year or so. Engine uses a quart per 4,000 miles. Filter is an oversized Fram Ultra so I'm not worried about that. Question is, if this were to continue indefinitely, is there a downside to not ever totally draining the oil?
Just take the vehicle to a quick lube, why even waste your time and the effort?

Back in the old days Mobil 1 changes were change the filter and top off the oil at 7500 mile. Then at 15k it was change oil and filter. If your engine is using a qt every 4k neither of these works. If its blowby then a higher viscosity oil may slow that down. I'd try that and also look for any leaks. If its a leak causing the 4k loss then one of the heavier weight High Mileage oils might be the answer. If neither of these seems to be the answer then maybe an additive to possibly loosen stuck rings? Hard to throw out an answer when the vehicle isn't sitting in front of me. When I worked dealerships I used to ask customers to put the phone closer to the car so I could take a look. You'd be surprised how many took me seriously.

It's more like a math question.
Lets say total oil capacity is 5.5 qt and you replace 4.5 qt when doing complete oil change
100%-------5k------>18% -------5k------>3% -------5k------>0.5%
so over 3 oil changes almost non of the old oil remains (only 0.5%)
Now, lets assume you replace 1 qt every 1K miles (total 5qt new oil used in 5k)
100%--1k-->81%(=4.5/5.5)
this will take 25K miles (0.81^25=0.005) to reach 0.5% concentration of the original old oil. And you also used a bit more oil.
Full oil changes helps remove old oil 2.5x faster.

Last edited:
If you have the time and the energy to do it properly why not just do it properly? I understand if you lived in a third world country with limited access to quality oil, only then this "technique" might make sense...

Update:
I finally changed the oil but still no filter change. Sent an oil sample in. The oil used was a mix of mostly 5W30 with a little 0W20 and 5W40 thrown in. Filter has been on over 3 years now and about 13,000 miles. Perhaps November of 24 I'll change it. The oil seems to be doing okay. Depending on how many miles are put on it by next fall, I may change the oil rather than my recent drain a little and top up method.
WobblyElvis

Looks Great!
Keep doing what you're doing

I was afraid that not removing the drain plug for 3 years [ only occasionally siphoning a little out of the dipstick hole ] would lead to a lot of wear metals accumulating in the bottom of the sump. This appears to not be the case or at least the oil analysis doesn't show any sign of this. Those "Mighty Vac" machines probably do a good job. A shop vac with an empty oil jug inside of it can do the same thing.

“….. A shop vac with an empty oil jug inside of it can do the same thing.

Wouldn’t that leave the inside of the vac hose pretty oily, a disaster for vacuuming out regular dirt, etc. ?

Z

PS: maybe I’m not seeing the whole picture, but wouldn’t just taking out the drain plug the normal way, or better yet one of the very handy Fumoto valves, be a helluva lot easier.

BTW, I really appreciate the Fumoto on my vehicles. With the tube attached I can direct the oil where I want it to go; no splashing.

Back