Dog Owners: What brand dog food do you purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the raw food I buy is $0.75/lb taxes in, produced in the same facility from the same animal the T-bone on my plate comes from. I'm sure I could eat my dogs food if cooked to well done.
Cost compares to the high end bagged dog food quite well I think, considering there is no mystery to what's in it...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
What you are saying is dont eat dog food. After all it is dog food. If you want to garantee your dogs meal set him a plate at the table. But do you know how much it would cost to even use the meat you eat at McDonalds. It would be about $120.00 a bag. What I want to know is what those little Armor wieners in the can are made of???

I practically do as it is. I boil five or six whole deboned chickens once a week for the dogs. Then break that down into portions, some gets frozen, some goes in the fridge. To that portion I add whatever we are eating, sometimes rice, pasta, beef, salmon, veggies for a daily ration.....It's actually pretty cheap. But it is a pain in the arse.

After feeding all the dogs I've owned over the last twenty years everything under the sun....I've found a food that has everything that seems to agree with them in terms of digestion, coat, energy, and nutrition. It's called 'Taste of the Wild'. Premium ingredients based on wild game and such. No grains (why people think dogs need grain is beyond me), no fillers, natural game like salmon, venison, duck, turkey, quail, etc. My dogs do very well on this stuff. Coat looks better than ever, energy is great, stool is compact, and they like it's taste (dry kibble).
Downside? Fairly expensive. But I have seen much more expensive dog foods. I can only get it at selected feed or pet stores....you won't ever see this one at a supermarket.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
RPN453...Great Pic!! Brickle looks very fit and happy.

Thanks. He gets pretty excited when he gets to lick clean the inside of an empty treat box or dog food bag! His owner (my ex-girlfriend) is a marathon runner and keeps him in great shape. He doesn't run as much as her, but he gets a 5 km run on most days. I still bike over to take him for walks a few days a week.

BrickleonGrass.jpg

I was pleased to see this thread. I had considered starting one hoping to see what real people feed their dogs rather than the anal ones hanging out in dog forums. The reports are mostly what I expected, dogs thriving on common and cheap food.

I think dog food and oil filters are a lot alike. Most people use common stuff or even cheap stuff and never see a problem. I hardly remember anybody even bringing either subject up. I sometimes give talks on dog guides and never remember a question on what they are fed. I am out in public with my puppy all the time, and nobody ever asks what I feed it or says much about its condition. I don't notice other dogs looking better or worse than it either usually. The biggest thing I see are the overweight ones. I try not to roll my eyes when somebody starts in on their 90-100 Lab they have at home. Chances are it really is a 70-80 pound one.

I am out in front of Wal-Mart with my puppy 4 days a year doing fund raisers. I watch the people with Old Roy in their carts. I really wish they would stop and talk. I would love to hear how long they have been feeding it and how the dogs are doing. My guess is that the dogs are doing fine.

I bite my tongue and let the ones with orange boxes go by unmolested.

I have feed Old Roy for about 3 years both high pro in winter and regular in summer. My three labs and beagle did really well on it until the past 5 months all with loose stools, made a switched to sprout all is good again if not better than any thing I have feed in the past.

PS I belive over 50% plus of dog owners over feed dogs and they all wonder why thir fat.

There is nothing anal about not wanting what is best for your animal especially after the recall.

While I will concede not everyone can afford the higher price but it is what I am willing to pay to make sure she has a great life.

The only thing this thread proved is the 2 ends of the spectrum.
The "anal" people who pay more for better food, and the ones who don't and feed what they can and still have no problems even with sub-quality food.

Then again there is anecdotal evidence either way to prove either side.

Personally speaking I can't imagine a carnivore living on corn meal, wheat gluten,and various other by products. If anything I buy the food because the ingredients are what I would choose to eat, meat.

Recall? One of the best reasons for sticking to the common brands of dry kibble. None of them were recalled, none. It was all canned and premium brands of kibble. The disinformation on the recalls is widely used on dog forums to bash the common brands.

For over 10 years we've used Iams MiniChunks for both of our shih tzus. Neither one of them have ever had any health problems and still are active.

While most dogs will live ok on the common, inexpensive, supermarket dog foods, check out the ingredients. The first three are most important....and the true definitions of such per the national guidelines. By-products, corn, grains, and various other [censored] IS NOT what I want my best friend to eat. I figure a dog is similar to a wolf in it's nutrition requirements (loosely). I try and imagine what a wild canine, eating an optimally available diet, would consume on a weekly basis. Birds, small game, occasionally larger game, small amounts of fish, berries, (yes, I've seen canines eat berries), eggs, and basically anything else that is crawling upon the earth. I've never seen nor heard of roaming bands of wolves or coyotes invading corn fields or wheat graineries for food. Not a natural, healthy food source for canines. In my humble opinion, make sure the first three or even four ingredients are healthy, nutritionally measurable meat sources.

Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meat, russet potato, deboned salmon, herring meal........

First few on the list of Belvedere's food.

What counts is nutrients, not where they came from. Some foods use ingredients designed to appeal to the one buying the food.

The nutrients in corn and grains, plus the lack of key trace minerals and elements only found it meat, do not add up to proper nutrition for a canine. That's one HUGE reason many develop skin irritations, coat issues, and allergic reactions.
A total count of, say, protein....does not constitute all the elements that make up protein. Certain amino acids and various other such details that a high quality meat source can only provide is of greater value in my opinion. Canines require the nutrients contained within a quality meat source. This does not mean that a dog will show some horrible sign of malnourishment by eating Kibbles 'n Bits.....but it's hard to validate that it is optimal.

The AFFCO has determined what nutrients dogs need and all the commercial foods are formulated to have them all from one source or another . Skin and coat issues are mostly a matter of poor breeding. I have seen thousands dogs thriving on Pro Plan. The reason dog foods have so many ingredients is to insure enough of each nutrient. Please spare us your marketing hype.

Originally Posted By: labman
Recall? One of the best reasons for sticking to the common brands of dry kibble. None of them were recalled, none. It was all canned and premium brands of kibble. The disinformation on the recalls is widely used on dog forums to bash the common brands.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17689821/

So half the company can get away with poisoning someone's pet and the other half is ok? PLEASE!

Is that what we get to tell owners who fed canned food. "Well if you fed dry kibble your dog would have lived."

The food has & always will be junk, just because it only happen with canned doesn't change the fact.

Edit: It most certainly does matter where the "meat" comes from. Would you eat your morning "meat meal" if disclosed on the label the conditions under which it was made.

Last edited:
I know this will probably simply be looked at as marketing propaganda, but:

Quote:
CANNED FOODS
At Champion Petfoods, we sell only what we make, which makes us unique in today’s pet food industry where a great many pet foods are made by factories with no connection to the brand (private labeled).

The ORIJEN philosophy is different. We source our ingredients fresh from our region and make our foods exclusively within our own award-winning factory here in Alberta, Canada. Making canned food is a very different production process, and almost all canned pet foods in North America are made in one of two very large canning companies.

While we could easily follow the industry model and have ORIJEN produced for us cans, we’re just not comfortable with the idea of having any ORIJEN product made outside of our own facilities, and have no plans for ORIJEN in cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back