Dog Owners: What brand dog food do you purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Originally Posted By: labman
Recall? One of the best reasons for sticking to the common brands of dry kibble. None of them were recalled, none. It was all canned and premium brands of kibble. The disinformation on the recalls is widely used on dog forums to bash the common brands.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17689821/

So half the company can get away with poisoning someone's pet and the other half is ok? PLEASE!

Is that what we get to tell owners who fed canned food. "Well if you fed dry kibble your dog would have lived."

The food has & always will be junk, just because it only happen with canned doesn't change the fact.

Edit: It most certainly does matter where the "meat" comes from. Would you eat your morning "meat meal" if disclosed on the label the conditions under which it was made.

The FDA's recall list at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/ includes Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Nutro, and Royal Canin. Somehow Wysong managed to cover up the stealth recall last year. It is quite misleading to bash the major brands for recalls when unlike them, some of the highly rated kibbles were recalled.

As for you comment about junk, it is entirely without backing.

Actually it was not kibble it was dog treats and certain canned foods. The least you could do is read it except for Royal Canin that included dry.

None of the foods I feed were recalled but many of your "common" foods were. I am done arguing though because it only proves my previous post that there or 2 extremes and both say each other is wrong.

Anything corn and wheat meal is junk, end of story.

Last edited:
Our Mini Schnauzer will a few times a week have left over chicken, steak etc. I don't like to feed him this type of food as it turns them into dinner table beggars. I've trained him well but it doesn't stop their natural behavior to want more of our food than the dog food.

I used to dog watch our CEO's house at my old job and his dogs wouldn't touch the Alpo or whatever dog food he had. They were used to being given Hamburgers, Filet Mignon, Steak, Chicken, Lamb etc.

The AFFCO has determined what nutrients dogs need and all the commercial foods are formulated to have them all from one source or another . Skin and coat issues are mostly a matter of poor breeding. I have seen thousands dogs thriving on Pro Plan. The reason dog foods have so many ingredients is to insure enough of each nutrient. Please spare us your marketing hype.

Calm down pal.....why so sharp and nasty? It's just freakin dog food....and as stated MANY TIMES....only MY OPINION.
Geez. Feed your dog whatever you like, I couldn't care less. But my common sense opinion needs no backing by any organization. That's why it's called an OPINION. (In my view, a very valid one...but an opinion none the less).

I see this thread went right where I figured it would... For what its worth, my previous lab enjoyed Science Diet Lamb and Rice. Iams cuased him digestive trouble. He was 12 years old when we put him down, and he had a long and enjoyable life.

So long as there is opinion there will be conflict. Forums are place for these skirmishes. It's all in good taste though.

Maybe I get sick of the same old deceptive posts, bashing, and the superior air.

Maybe others get sick of the deceptive lies, trading it off as a fad, interjections of being an anal conspirator because they choose to buy food with better quality ingredients.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Maybe I get sick of the same old deceptive posts, bashing, and the superior air.

Maybe others get sick of the deceptive lies, trading it off as a fad, interjections of being an anal conspirator because they choose to buy food with better quality ingredients.

+1....The VERY FIRST test your choice of pet foods should be that there is no mention of "by-products" in the ingredient list. There are other things to consider but having no by-products included should be the most basic requirement. We've been using ProPlan Selects, having considered ingredients, price & availability.

I buy whatever doesn't give him gas and that he likes----also he gets left-over meat only---no people food. I'm not gonna buy the highest priced stuff for ANY dog. Also, this lab was abandoned in freezing weather so now he is spoiled. last night I got up off the couch to get in bed, then I heard him wake up when i left the room (he was sleeping by my feet) and I look in the living room and he is sleeping on the couch!!!

Why? Because you say so?

I gave my opinion based on my own research and what seemed reasonable to me. If you are confused, I suggest you follow the same process.

The only thing I don't understand is how so many people can be so insistent about that with nothing but speculation to back it. So What research did you do? Maybe you found the same thing on 100 websites none of which have anything to back their opinions but each other. I have actually spent a large amount of time trying to trace those opinions back to any research. Most of the people don't rely on research for their opinions. I like solid information to base my decisions on, not what seems reasonable to me.

It is like Aristotle and Galileo. Aristotle though about it, and declared heavier objects fall faster then light ones. For most of the next 2000 years, educated people knew that. Then at the dawn of modern science, Galileo lugged the large and small balls up the the tower of Pisa, and dropped them off. They hadn't read Aristotle, and both hit the ground at the same time. I am afraid the dog world is full of thinkers.

I can't see that you've had much to offer on the subject other than references to websites which may or may not be credible.

It only took one tour of the local pet food plant to convince me that "meat by-products" consisting of entrails, abcesses, cancerous tumors, road kill, euthanized animals, among other things wasn't something I wanted to feed my pets. Those who defend the practice by saying that these are things these animal's ancestors my have eaten in the wild are using a faulty analogy as far as I'm concerned. Survival eating and an optimum diet may have little in common. About as applicable as dropping different-sized balls off towers.

BTW, the plant manager was quite proud of the fact that they were able to "recycle" all these delicious items that might otherwise be wasted.

I have no real objections if YOU want to use pet food containing various by-products. Trying to convince me to do so however, is not going to work.

It's the euthanized family pets that really get me. Once I learned that euthanized pets were rendered and used as pet food meat products, that was it for me.

Does anyone have any REAL data as to the severity or universality of this practice? Who does and doesn't use euthanized pets in their products?

Not trying to argue, but no, not really.

By half truth do you mean that some number of euthanized animals are used? Or is it a pure myth?

I'm seriously curious, I'm not claiming to know for fact one way or the other. But I've read and heard that they are used in dry and canned commercial dog foods. I also know for a fact that local rendering houses, buy road kill and euthanized animals...what they go into is a mystery to me.

I respect your opinion labman, I just cant abide feeding my beloved animals, other dead dogs.....The way I see it, dog and man have lived in perfect harmony for centuries, with the dog eating the scraps left behind by his human partner. I essentially do the same thing today, whats the problem?

Last edited:
Didn't I dispose of that half truth a couple of pages ago?

Uhhh...."disposed of" because you say so?

LS2, you're going to have a tough time finding the answer you're looking for. The industy has become a lot more tight-lipped since the gluten fiasco. One of my companies sells machinery to a distributor who sells to some of the plants, so I have some insight.

If we can trust that current regulations are being adhered to, we can avoid the possiblity of feeding our pets the more disgusting and dangerous items by avoiding pet foods labeled as containing by-products. That seems to be the only protection we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back