Dog Owners: What brand dog food do you purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedigree Little Bites.

I have friends that feed Pedigree to two dogs that are worth five figures each, so it should be just fine for my mutt.

I have a Rotty and I feed her the Ol Roys, from Walmart. They have about three different flavors and I mix up which one I get for her each time. She seems to like it, she has a nice coat and is a healthy dog, She's a little over weight, not much, she is a outside dog and guard dog so she has freedom to roam, she's not on a chain, she's about 9 1/2 and still very active, the only time she has been to the vet is for a ear infection. I think that is really good value dog food and Iam impressed with it. I was just comenting the other day, how for the price it is better than alot of Dog foods, I tried in the past.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The bag of Purina ONE that used to be $25 to $29 (depending on the sale) for 37.5 lbs. is now $35 to $40 for 34 lbs.

We see 34 pound bags of Purina One for about $29 at Target and $28 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato

We are using the Pinnacle Chicken and Oats Formula. Cookie loves it:
Cookie2.jpg

My dogs get OlRoy lamb dry (mostly lamb) and a daily serving = 1/3 large can of WalMart Beef Stew that they share.

No complaints.

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Until they were about 14 months we fed our beagles Innova Puppy, once they were old enough we transitioned them to Blue Wilderness.

Dog Food Analysis Site

Not surprising, many of the big names (Purina, Beneful, etc) don't rate very well. While quality foods such as Blue Wilderness and Innova are more expensive, dogs eat less since it contains more high quality protein and few (if any) fillers, by products and grains making it as cost effective as the cheap brands.

dogfoodanalysis is one of the biggest pieces of trash on the net. The ratings are based solely on what one women thinks of the ingredients. The ick factor is huge. There isn't a shred of scientific evidence backing any of it. None of it is based on feeding trials. It is guess work, pure and simple. Ever see a predator eat a kill? What do they eat first? Right all the internal organs that go into the meal that goes into the common brands.

One thing you can find on dogfoodanalysis is figures on the calorie content of different foods. Check and you will fine many of the despised common brands are almost as high as the hyped stuff.

If you want a site that presents some factual material along with the junk science, see http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles2.html#nutrition

You're wrong.

OK, come up with some links proving dogs are healthier eating foods with high ratings at dogfoodanalysis.

Suppose you knew a breeder that bred hundreds of dogs a year, mostly Labs, Shepherds, and Goldens. They provided all the medical care for most of them the first year. At the end of it, they did a complete physical including hip X-rays on all of them. They then spent $35,000 training them before giving them away. They have a large data base of breeding records. Dogs with any physical or temperamental problems are unfit for the program and are a waste. Their well equipped clinic and vet staff are available for serious problems as long as the dog is working. When the dog is no longer able to work, it is replaced at again the $35,000 plus a large emotional upheaval for the person depending on the dog. They have experimented with different diets and exchanged data with other such breeders. Don't you think that what ever they are feeding is healthy and safe? What kinds of controlled studies do you have backing your choice of diet? How objective are the sources of your information? Is your dog's health, their top priority?

I have been raising puppies since 1991 for a large dog guide school that does exactly that. What do they feed? They instruct us to feed Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy chow until 4 months and then switch to adult Pro Plan chicken and rice. I know enough of the people with the trained dogs to know they continue the Pro Plan. The group I meet with monthly for training includes people that have raised puppies for 6 different service dog schools. Some of them are feeding other common commercial chows including Iams and Eukanuba. Any dog owner wanting a healthy, long lived dog can make this regimen work, leaving more time to spend on the dog. It is also relatively economical.

Personal opinion based on what happened with the gluten episode I certainly wouldn't consider ANY food that contained it. I never did before but I certainly won't now.

What I always hated was when vets pushed Hills Science Diet as a cure for all problems...sure they get a kickback for every bag sold!

If I could go raw only I would but I just don't have the logistical skills for that.

175o9l.jpg

1zn4h94.jpg

Thread now Lola approved.

Last edited:
Our butcher bags the raw mix in 8-10lb chunks, and we get 8 or 10 of them frozen solid. We put a bag in a small bucket and leave it out overnight to start thawing and then keep it in the fridge until we need the next one, maybe a week. Its not quite as handy as bagged but not a big issue once you get your system setup. Keeping a clean hand to run the sink and soap, etc, as you are handling raw meat/organs.
Once in a while the butcher will run out of the raw food so our one dog has to switch to dry food. She'll hold out for a day before eating the dry stuff... And even then we need to crack an egg in it to get her started.

Originally Posted By: labman
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp

Funny that the E.coli found in dry food must've been "cross contamination".

Our raw dog food comes out of a butcher shop regulated for human consumption, and has no seperate equipment for producing dog food. We eat rare steaks from them often, so I'm pretty confident our dogs will be fine...

We do have a local pet food plant who collects dead livestock off of farms and produces dry and canned, the stink from that place doesn't make me believe that highly processed rotten meat is better than fresh raw meat.
Maybe the larger national dryfood brands don't use dead stock but I'd bet that they do...

I've seen estimates of between five and ten million dogs and cats get used in the dog food industry. One of the reasons I never allow my Vet to dispose of my euthanized pets bodies, I always bury them here at their home, so they dont end up in dog food!

I dont see where Woodhaven addresses this issue. They do mention rendered meats as being used, but they dont break down rendered as to what type/quantity animals are used.

Are you saying that road kill and rendered family pets aren't used in the pet foods industry?

What you are saying is dont eat dog food. After all it is dog food. If you want to garantee your dogs meal set him a plate at the table. But do you know how much it would cost to even use the meat you eat at McDonalds. It would be about $120.00 a bag. What I want to know is what those little Armor wieners in the can are made of???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back