Dog Owners: What brand dog food do you purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids are curious to survey dog owners about dog food brand. So with this thread, we will at least know what is more popular among that segment of the population that has some affinity for motor oil. I'll start with that our dog gets Pinicle brand dog food.

My greyhounds both get Kirkland Premium from Costco, currently the lamb formula (green bag). It's one of the highest quality dog foods around and backed by Consumer Reports (FWIW) and our veterinarian. It's also one of the least expensive foods on a per mass basis.

They used to get Iams until the the formula changed and we were gassed out until we switched foods.

My Labs get Iams green bag mini-chunks. Nice shiny coats, check out okay at the vets every year. Every so often, they will get some canned green beans mixed in.

The 2 that I have now like Pedigree little bites with 1/2 can of Pedigree mixed in each bowl. My Sheltie could only have dry food from the vet. Her food cost $47.00 for a 20 lb.bag.

I pay $26.00 for a 52 lb. bag of Pedigree at Tractor supply. My vet said they are very healthy. When they decided to live at my house they were scruffy. The Lab mix (Jackson) had heart worms and the Cocker (Sasha) had been attacked by something. My vet took care of them and now look great. Jackson looks like I put oil on him. When he is in the sun he shines.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Scruffy, the Cairn Terrier:

gets Cesar canned food only. That's what we started him on, and he really doesn't like anything else, now..

Our Vet says Cesar is like feeding McDonalds to your dog. My reply was "Hey if its good enough for us, is good enough foe them" She was not amused....

We feed Royal Canine to the little critter.

We have 2 black labs now, 6 month old Raven gets adult Pro Plan chicken and rice, the same as most of the dogs in the dog guide program she is a part of. 9 year old Sampson recently had to retire as a dog guide and now lives with us. He continues getting Pro plan. I am familiar with the feeding practices of a number of service dog programs. They all feed one or another of the common brands and make an early switch to adult food to control growth to give the developing joints more time to develop under less stress. For the same reason, they are very insistent on keeping the puppies lean.

The dog forums are dominated by those advocating premium brands. They go on and on about the ingredients and have no data relating ingredients to the health of the dogs. I think they are all a bunch of food kooks, food reps, and Kool-ade drinkers. I am widely despised for my factual posts.

We give our dog Iams. I've always considered it the best of the middle-of-the-road brands. We've tried cheaper but still name brand foods in the past but we've discovered that the volume of poop is inversely tied to the cost of food.

I have a Staffordshire Mix and a Black Lab Mix that have grown up together. I adoped them from Operation Kindness 9 months ago.

Right now we have them on Kirkland Premium from Costco. I think we have them on the Chicken and Rice right now and we are thinking about going back to the Lamb formula. Both are very atheletic and very gassy.
I have heard Staffordshire's are gassy from other owners.

It seems that regardless of what I feed them they can clear a room.

I've been feeding Diamond Naturals which is sold at Tractor Supply. It is a far better dog food than the supermarket brands (Dog Chow, Pedigree, Gravy Train etc....) for not much more money.

Dog food has really gone up in price in the past 3 or 4 years. The bag of Purina ONE that used to be $25 to $29 (depending on the sale) for 37.5 lbs. is now $35 to $40 for 34 lbs.
I'm assuming the rise is due to the cost of corn skyrocketing because of ethanol production.

We've had several pairs of dogs thru the years. And sadly most have had cancer related deaths. My wife and I decided to try something different in our own test to see if their illnesses were somehow diet related. We used to feed them whatever was cheap and easy to get. But have decided to try the royal Canin brand made for boxers. The dogs are 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old and so far they like it. A bit pricey for the large bags tho. Time will tell. My thinking is you can spend little on cheap food and alot on vet bills, or alot on food and possibly less on the vet bills. Either way some money will be spent on the dogs, but hopefully the quality of life will be better.,,

My dog will only eat Beneful: Original. Anything else he either doesn't eat or pukes it up because its small or eats to fast.

Science Diet for Sensitive Skin

Stuff is a fortune but my dog digests it well and coat improved alot when using it. She also takes 4 brewer's yeast every day.

These are a few older photos. She's a little older now and has lost some weight (down to 82 pounds from 92).

Feb_small-1.jpg

Dscf0003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back