Dog Terrified of Drinking Water

You could, of course, try something salty.
We do this with our little guy. He drinks plenty of water on his own. But he LOVES saltine crackers. So my wife buys the very low sodium crackers. They still have some salt, but nowhere near what the regular ones have.

He loves them. And the fact they're so dry, and still contain some salt, really drives him to the water bowl. And the bit of salt he gets helps him retain more water.

This is good, especially in the Summer months out here. When the temperature is very high, and the humidity very low. It is very easy for a dog to dehydrate. Especially if they're active, which he is. A few crackers every day help alleviate that from happening.

Did you try bottle feeding him liquid? My dog had an abscess once and would pawl his jaw slightly. Very sad situation.
Good luck to you in this frustrating situation 🙏
You beat me to it. I was going to suggest one of those plastic syringes you can buy at local drug stores like Walgreens. Some of them will hold an ounce or 2.

Just fill them with water and slowly inject it into the sides of his mouth. They can swallow easily without choking or gagging. And if a little gets spilled, it's not a big deal because it's only water.

I've used this method to get liquid medication into my dog with good success.

these reports remind me of my former thought:

I really think all the pet/livestock care helped me do my children's care better. Clean up vomit, excrement no big deal for the kids when babies or ele schoolers after "the bigger babies" (& I was main caretaker for all).

Try cupping the water in your hand and lifting it to his mouth.

See what happens.

I would determine what he really likes, and then submerge that item just below the surface. Example: thinly sliced roast beef, and place it on a platter, then pour water on top so the beef is just above the meat.

Was hoping for a follow up. OP hasn't replied since 10/22
I’m the op
after 6 months of hydrating the dogs food he has now finally started drinking water on his own.
For months he only was getting water from his wet dog food then all of a sudden he drank water from a bowl at the dog park. Which was honestly a great feeling .
We have to use large clear bowls for his water (he won’t touch the old ones)
and he will usually drink water early am hours when are asleep, we know because we track how much water he has.

If we take him on a trip he still won’t drink, during the trip on hikes he will sometimes drink from another dogs bowl or from my hands but it’s still hit and miss which means the trip has to be under 72 hours or we have to take the time to hydrate his dry food to force him to get water.

He seems to have no issues getting water when we put him into the local and extremely expensive “doggy prison “ during longer trips, he seems to like it there more than at home lol.

Although life and death this is literally the dumbest and most frustrating problem I have ever encountered while owning a dog.

I’ve never had a dog that would pass out and be hospitalized rather than drink water.

Now another dumb issue this dog is greatly affected by onions but constantly trying to grab them and eat them.

We have to keep the pantry locked or he will poison himself.

Talk about deadly addiction.

Tonight, My mom had a small piece of raw onion on her tray while eating a hamburger and she didn’t bother shooing him away so he snuck up and grabbed the piece of onion swallowing it whole.

When he was younger he pulled one of those small empty bags of single serve ready to eat onion soup from the trash and the small amount of residue made him pass out.

See if we have him pass out tonight.

The vets usually hear the amount and just say make sure he has water and do nothing.

Back