Does synthetic oil burn easier in older motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an elderly Ford Y-Block that has been overhauled with a hone and cast rings. I'm using M1 15w-50 and it uses about a quart in 1,500 miles, and I can see it on some of the spark plugs. There is no smoke, no leaks and the engine runs really well.

Do you guys think the characteristics of synthetic oil would allow it to leak past imperfect rings/ cylinder bores easier than say a Delo 15w-40? I am thinking of changing the oil now that it's about a quart low.

I do use the truck pretty hard- I just took a trip over Sonora Pass in the Sierras (up to 26% grade) with a 1,500 pound camper. I had to run it pretty hard to pull that grade. There have been several other passes this OCI that have been over 9,000 feet.

Should I try the Delo?

I would think the Delo may slow consumption. I have a TR3 which has 126,000 and I use 20w-50 Castrol for zero consumption. Have been thinking about the Delo as it does have a better additive package. Delo is inexpensive so I would give it a try. It is very hard to beat Mobil 1 but Delo is the best dino in my humble opinion if you need a 15w-40 oil. If it doesn't help you can always go back to the Mobil 1.

the thick oil may not wipe down the cylinder cleanly and is being burned a xx/30 or xx/40wt
may work better for you try a lower vis grade that should slow leakage past ring unless they are not seated.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by Frankie:
I have an elderly Ford Y-Block that has been overhauled with a hone and cast rings. I'm using M1 15w-50 and it uses about a quart in 1,500 miles, and I can see it on some of the spark plugs. There is no smoke, no leaks and the engine runs really well.

Do you guys think the characteristics of synthetic oil would allow it to leak past imperfect rings/ cylinder bores easier than say a Delo 15w-40? I am thinking of changing the oil now that it's about a quart low.

I do use the truck pretty hard- I just took a trip over Sonora Pass in the Sierras (up to 26% grade) with a 1,500 pound camper. I had to run it pretty hard to pull that grade. There have been several other passes this OCI that have been over 9,000 feet.

Should I try the Delo?

Are you running a PCV system on this motor?

If the rings are not sealing good, you would see a puff of smoke on a downshift.

My buddy has a couple Y blocks, glad to see one is still being used properly
cheers.gif

Hi,
I had a '55 Customline with a "Y" block - a great car too

After rebuilding it at around 60k miles (thru excessive oil consumption) it went back on to 10w-30 - THE oil of that era (early 1960s) - and it lasted very well

I agree with Bruce318 - a lighter oil such as 10w-40 may be a better choice to try. Synthetic or mineral? TR3's comments make a lot of sense!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back