Does anyone drive their car gently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: cchase
I've seen multiple tickets written up here for impeding the flow of traffic on interstates that have a 55 mph speed limit for people going 55-60 when everyone else is going 65-70 at rush hour. As any SE New Englander on the board can attest, if you are going 55-60 on most of rt.128 in MA you'll be killed. And many who do get ticketed for it.

I suspect it varies based on traffic conditions in general.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that! Either that or your state has some real screwy laws! I'd love to see one of those alleged tickets in traffic court. How could any government agency condone breaking the law? I don't get it.

Does your state have signs that say: "It's okay to speed at rush hour?" LOL

In Ca. most of the time NOBODY is doing 55 much less 65 at rush hour.

The ticket doesn't have to say "you weren't speeding", all it has to say was that you were impeding the flow of traffic. Whether you are going the speed limit and everyone else is going 10 over or you're going 10 in a 55 doesn't matter. A day in court defending that you were going the posted speed limit is a day of lost work for most people and I doubt most of them pursue it.

I've seen multiple tickets written up here for impeding the flow of traffic on interstates that have a 55 mph speed limit for people going 55-60 when everyone else is going 65-70 at rush hour. As any SE New Englander on the board can attest, if you are going 55-60 on most of rt.128 in MA you'll be killed. And many who do get ticketed for it.

I suspect it varies based on traffic conditions in general.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that! Either that or your state has some real screwy laws! I'd love to see one of those alleged tickets in traffic court. How could any government agency condone breaking the law? I don't get it.

Does your state have signs that say: "It's okay to speed at rush hour?" LOL

In Ca. most of the time NOBODY is doing 55 much less 65 at rush hour.

The ticket doesn't have to say "you weren't speeding", all it has to say was that you were impeding the flow of traffic. Whether you are going the speed limit and everyone else is going 10 over or you're going 10 in a 55 doesn't matter. A day in court defending that you were going the posted speed limit is a day of lost work for most people and I doubt most of them pursue it.

Are you talking about a multi lane road/highway and the driver is in the "fast" lane, or does this apply to all lanes? I have seen people get pulled over here, for what I would assume was for holding up traffic in the fast lane.
Ca. has signs that say: "Slower traffic stay right." I have been in states that have a minimum and maximum speed limits. Ca. is NOT one of them.

I'd also be interested to know how you know all these tickets are being issued? Are you in law enforcement?

Last edited:
No, the Buick and the Trans Am have to hate me. The Truck just works. The only thing I don't hammer is the Equinox and it gets driven harder than most of the cars in this thread. I don't speed or drive recklessly, but I don't care about redline or how many times a day the car sees it. I just like to get up to the speed limit in a "timely manner". Then I cruise in the right lane uless I have to pass.

I am what my friends call mechanically insensitive.

Nothing has really ever broke but the Trans Am. The rearend couldn't take all the abuse with over 400 RWHP, so I upgraded it and it is good to go.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Ca. has signs that say: "Slower traffic stay right." I have been in states that have a minimum and maximum speed limits. Ca. is NOT one of them.

Sure, but California has a minimum speed law:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22400.htm

Sure but like many others that law is somewhat vague.

22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established."

What is "such a slow speed"? Is that 5 miles under the limit or 10 MPH or 20 MPH or more?

Kind of interesting - this law states that you can impede traffic if you would be breaking the law otherwise?

"No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law."

Last edited:
The last time I got pulled over I was speeding. I wasn't the fastest car on the road. There was a pack of 4 cars bumper to bumper about 7 car lengths in front of me going a bit faster.

He singled me out because I was alone.

I watched this freight train of cars weave back and forth from left to left center to right center going around slower traffic. No one was pulled over for impeding their mad dash through traffic. Nope. Nor was the crazy train of 80mph cars. I was alone. I was an easy target for him. (funny thing was that they cleared traffic out so well I was able to sit in my lane and not change lanes)

I didn't get a ticket. I got a lecture. I'll take the lecture everytime instead of a ticket.

I'll admit I missed it. Sorry!

It happens, please excuse my unreasonably harsh reply.

Quote:
Now you are the one this is missing something here. First, regardless of what kind of MPG you claim your car gets, there is no way it is getting very good mileage or should I say as good as it could get - when you floor it from one light to another. So why waste gas? The oil companies really love you for it!
smile.gif
(Notice my smiley face).

I don't have a very fast car, but flooring it from a stop light is something I rarely do. Half throttle sure...but foot to the floor would result in a gross over speed around town. I am accustomed to a certain rate of acceleration, and it appears to be faster then 85-90% of other drives. As for mileage, it might actually surprise you. There is a whole lot less mass to haul around in a small car, so they can maintain a decent level of fuel economy even with a little spirited driving. Even on my worst day, I'll get better mileage then most of the largish vehicles people drive. That isn't to imply you're mileage wouldn't be better then mine, I don't know what you drive. That said, speeding around town is something that I typically don't do. I'll accelerate to the speed limit quickly, but don't go much over. Too many obstacles in urban environments, not worth the risk to myself or others. Freeways are where I cruise at high velocities.

Anyways, you said you typically drive in the right lanes...so if people are tailgating you or causing you grief...that's their problem. I'm typically in the faster crowd on the freeway, but I know to keep left as best I can. I don't expect drivers in the slower lanes to match my pace. I try to ascribe to a German philosophy...let the fast guys pass you and hope the favor is returned. When I commute from SD to LA, its rare that I'm the fastest one...so even us speeders have to pull to the right every now and then.

I'll leave it at this. Unless you are a badged law enforcement officer, don't attempt to control the pace on the freeway. If there are multiple lanes and you wish to go slower then other traffic, please keep right...that is also a law in most every state.
If its a single lane road, then so be it. But I'm getting the vibe from this thread that there are those here who are apart of the "I'm going the speed limit, they can wait" crowd, and its those lane campers that are often a large source of frustration and erratic behavior on our roads.

Now as a slight aside, I personally feel that on modern freeways with modern vehicles, 55-65mph is FAR too slow of a speed limit. I'd like to see it raised to 80mph at least. A rolling speed limit like on the Autobahns is probably not feasible on our large spread out roads, but 65mph in good weather with minimal traffic is just absurd. My sister moved to Texas, and I was happy to see 80mph daytime limits. I do most of my driving at night however, so the 65mph night limit was a bit frustrating :p. They say its because deer strikes...but I don't see how there can be any deer left in Texas when everyone carries a gun and everyone wants to eat them lol. They must breed like rabbits.
grin.gif

Oh, and for the record...no tickets or accidents (knock on wood).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pzev
anyways, you said you typically drive in the right lanes

I did? Where? In the couple of instances I mentioned I HAPPENED to be in the slow lane, but I don't remember saying I "typically drive" in the right lane. To me "typically" means "always" or most always. I'll confess there are times I'm in a hurry and it's called get out of my way.

As for the MPG on small cars - I have driven many small cars over the years as well as big ones. In one of our delivery businesses I drove a Datsun 510 with a 1.6 liter engine, other times a Ford convertible with a high compression 429. Granted in this one instance I COULD run the Datsun all the way to the floor at every light and still do better MPG than the 429 could hope to do on a good day on the freeway with a tailwind!
smile.gif
But that is the exception, not the rule. But I do get your point.

Quote:
Oh, and for the record...no tickets or accidents (knock on wood).

Good for you. Glad to hear it. Some times people get lucky. Both of my speeding tickets were for a small amount over the limit - one was 10 MPH, the other for about 7. The 10 MPH ticket I wasn't convinced I was actually going that fast, but I didn't have the time to fight it.
Plus I figured if I was honest with myself and everyone else it made up for the times when I didn't get caught!

Edit: While I agree with you - people should never try to control traffic speed, I haven't really seen anyone here say that and I certainly wasn't implying that in any way. We've had this discussion in another thread.
Like I said on most of Ca. freeways (especially anywhere near rush hour) you don't have to worry about speeding.

I don't agree with you on the 80 MPH limit, but that's okay. I respect your right to your opinion and we are getting too far off topic for me to go into my reasons.
10.gif

Last edited:

I'll leave it at this. Unless you are a badged law enforcement officer, don't attempt to control the pace on the freeway. If there are multiple lanes and you wish to go slower then other traffic, please keep right...that is also a law in most every state.
If its a single lane road, then so be it. But I'm getting the vibe from this thread that there are those here who are apart of the "I'm going the speed limit, they can wait" crowd, and its those lane campers that are often a large source of frustration and erratic behavior on our roads.

IMO, well said. That's the vibe I'm trying to speak against as well. Left lane campers and people impeding the flow of traffic are a problem, whether they think people moving faster have a "lack of planning" or otherwise. Likewise chronic tailgaters and drivers slicing through a complex flow of traffic are also problematic.

OMG, after reading nine pages of this thread, I realize I am a terrible driver and am going to change my ways, based on the ramblings of others on the internet.
18.gif

I bet most readers and posters on an automotive BBS have some consciousness of how their car performs and can remember basic things like what lane they use on the interstate. They are ranting in the direction of clueless twits, who are not going to read this thread, who have no concept of how a car works except one pedal goes faster and the other slower, and that round thing points it where to go.

I'm a gentle driver although this new Ford truck I have with the Ecoboost engine kinda makes this old guy want take off and kick the turbo's in. But all in all, I don't accelerate fast.

I also let my vehicles idle for at least 2 minutes after starting, longer in colder temps.

My wife on the other hand, jack rabbit starts and stops like a jet landing on an aircraft carrier. Plus, no matter how much I tell her to let the engine run a minute or two after starting, she still takes right off.

I managed to put 183K miles on a 97 Ford F150 with a 4.6 V8 by driving "conservatively".

Kind of interesting - this law states that you can impede traffic if you would be breaking the law otherwise?

"No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law."

I believe this simply provides an exemption for vehicles that just can't safely of physically exceed a certain speed, for example a heavy truck going uphill. It basically means you better have a good reason to obstruct the flow of traffic. Seems reasonable.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

IMO, well said. That's the vibe I'm trying to speak against as well. Left lane campers and people impeding the flow of traffic are a problem, whether they think people moving faster have a "lack of planning" or otherwise. Likewise chronic tailgaters and drivers slicing through a complex flow of traffic are also problematic.

Are you saying that I'm a "left lane camper" or that I "impede" the flow of traffic? You base this one what? Your "vibe"? LOL!
I think you guys are reading too much into this and there isn't any "vibe" here except in your mind. Now there are those type of people on the road, no doubt, but I haven't seen anyone here that I would say has even insinuated that!

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1

I believe this simply provides an exemption for vehicles that just can't safely of physically exceed a certain speed, for example a heavy truck going uphill. It basically means you better have a good reason to obstruct the flow of traffic. Seems reasonable.

I agree with your statement about a heavy truck going uphill, but read the rest of the statement. "OR IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW"!
To my knowledge there is no law on what the minimum speed is for a truck going uphill. I and my family have been in the trucking business for quite some time, since the late 70's.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

Are you saying that I'm a "left lane camper" or that I "impede" the flow of traffic? You base this one what? Your "vibe"? LOL!
I think you guys are reading too much into this and there isn't any "vibe" here except in your mind. Now there are those type of people on the road, no doubt, but I haven't seen anyone here that I would say has even insinuated that!

I agree that there is no "vibe" about left lane camping here. People are simply stating how gently they drive their cars, for various reasons like save fuel or prolong various car components life, no one mentioned anything about left lane camping or playing the speed enforcer.

Yeah, I drive my cars gently unless I have a reason not to.

Never saw the point in beating on a car, or any machine, even a cheap one.

I drive my car smooth and easy, for maximum mpg's. I'll run 60 mph in a 55 zone, use just enough throttle to maintain speed uphills, no jackrabbit starts, ect. This driving style pays off at the gas pump time and time again.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
I drive my car smooth and easy, for maximum mpg's. I'll run 60 mph in a 55 zone, use just enough throttle to maintain speed uphills, no jackrabbit starts, ect. This driving style pays off at the gas pump time and time again.

This is exactly what I do and always beat the fueleconomy.gov fuel economy figures for my specific model. I don't fight large hills and coast down the other side of them. Around town I manage to keep the RPMs at 2000 or under. My little Vibe gets approx 34 city and 40 highway, which is pretty good for a wagon. For full disclosure I only use ethanol free gas, 1 ounce of Redline SI-1 per fill-up, tires always properly inflated, so that helps the numbers a bit too.

Last edited:
Even as a 16 year old, I drove like a granny. Still do at age 60. As a kid, I knew if I broke my car due to aggressive driving, it was going to stay broken until I could pay to have it fixed. As an adult, I have better places to spend money than on unnecessary car repairs. My last car went 325,000 troublefree miles, in part because during its entire life, it never received full throttle application, and I self-imposed a tach red-line of 3,000 rpm, although the factory redline was 6,500 rpm. Many other owners of my model car had to replace the automatic transmission several times in the first 100,000 miles, while mine never gave me a minute's trouble. I'm convinced that driving like an old lady is the secret to racking up high mileage. I don't need to prove I'm a man by seeing how much rubber I can leave on the street.

I agree with your statement about a heavy truck going uphill, but read the rest of the statement. "OR IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW"!
To my knowledge there is no law on what the minimum speed is for a truck going uphill. I and my family have been in the trucking business for quite some time, since the late 70's.

I did read the rest of the statement. I believe "or in compliance with law" refers to vehicles, including but not limited to construction and farm vehicles, that must not exceed a mandated speed. Maybe there's a farmer here, but I'm pretty sure some tractors mustn't go faster than 25 or 35 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back