Does anyone drive their car gently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so easy on my car, anticipating stopping, coasting, etc that my brakes failed from old age. The backing plate delaminated from the asbestos. Underlying cause was (probably) rust forcing the seperation. Records review show the pads were 11 years old at the time.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I am so easy on my car, anticipating stopping, coasting, etc that my brakes failed from old age.

This is my goal in life as well as automobile usage.
lol.gif

I drive the cars very easy. I used to drive much harder, but I've slowed with with age/maturity/kids/whatever. I actually did slow down a lot after my first daughter was born. I guess that changes you more than you think it does.

I'm all about efficient driving now. I'm not into hypermiling, but I do take advantage of both cars' behavior of cutting fuel on deceleration. I coast to lights and stay easy on the gas when traffic is around. I do air both cars out regularly, but don't act like a tool and do that in town or around other traffic. Only out on a 2-lane road will I open either one of them up. There are too many drivers that like to juke around in rush-hour traffic around here...I just lay back, drive the speed limit, and enjoy the show.

I care too much about my vehicles to drive like that.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I am so easy on my car, anticipating stopping, coasting, etc that my brakes failed from old age.

This is my goal in life as well as automobile usage.
lol.gif

You got it! I drive real easy.I'm trying to get at least 300k out of the tranny 500k out of the engine and right now it's at 201k ,We'll see.

I always believe an engine should see WOT fairly regularly. As long as its not low on oil there should be no ill effects from going to redline. Engines have rev limiters and things for a reason. When I had my Saturns I used to redline in 3rd gear to pass on secondary highways all the time. Never had a problem with the engines. One needed a timing chain (had noise even when I bought it) but it had been previously neglected. After the T/C was done I drove it hard and it ran awesome every day.

With my new Civic, I am trying to milk MPG, so I am going very gently on it so far. I have no worries about WOT'ing it but that would use more fuel
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Very gently with an occasional redline about 4 times a year. As a result, I have gotten excellent UOA's and usually beat the EPA fuel estimates for my vehicles. Yeah, I get tailgated a bunch and even get the middle finger from time to time, but I'm not going to burn up my car and gas as a result of someone else's poor planning. I usually stay within the speed limit and finesse the transmission in such a fashion it doesn't shift as much. I also stay in the right lane when driving the speed limit to not impede faster traffic. You never know. The guy driving fast might be on the way to the hospital.

Get the [censored] out of the fast lane you slowpoke, and I won't have to flip you off!
laugh.gif

Anyways, I'm so used to my zippy little car, that when I landed a gig as a brake tester driving lead loaded F-150's, the first stoplight I came too I locked up the brakes and almost blew right through. Went from a 2600lb go-kart to a 8000lb bathtub and didn't adjust my driving style.

Whats even funnier is that night when I was chatting with the other brake testers, they were telling stories about how one guy got his [censored] chewed out for locking up the brakes in the 100k Hitachi test rig. I asked how do you know which one is the Hitachi rig, and he said its the only one without ABS...

Oops

With the roads deteriorating steadily in Michigan, I'm driving the Camaro easier than ever. It's got the power to take me from "0 to Jail" in about 14 seconds, but what's the point when the roads are going to pound the suspension to junk? I can outrun traffic with 1/4" of throttle opening and shifting at 2300rpm, so even though it's going fast, the car is not being driven hard. I save the hard driving for track days, where the engine, driver, and suspension get a satisfying workout on a relatively smooth surface and without the worries of law enforcement officers lurking and teenage girls texting while pretending to drive.

I do during warm-up only, when I try to limit under 3K and such. Once the car is fully warmed up after driving a while, I will floor it without thinking twice
smile.gif

I also slowed down after my daughter was born and I just shake my head when I see a young mother with her kids in the car just yapping on the phone and using the accelerator and brake pedals like on/off switches.

I drive fairly gently, but I definitely try to drive smoothly, as I found out that smooth driving improves gas mileage much more then just slow driving. But every once in a while, when the car is warmed up, I put the automatic in the manual mode and flog it in second gear.

I try to. It's hard with the hills around here. Some of those hills need 3500 RPM to maintain a decent road speed on when going up. That energy needs to be conserved as much as possible, so smooth driving is the order of the day. Coast up to lights and corners, try not to use the brakes hard, and easy on the gas.

Every once in a while the cars will get an Italian tuneup with several WOT launches from 30-65 mph on an onramp during a roadtrip.

My family call me "Mario Andretti".

I like to drive in a spirited manner, but only do so when the vehicle has been warmed up. The truck probably sees the redline once a day at minimum.

My Mustang engine (now Capri) has over 200,000 miles of very hard use on it, and is pristine inside. Can't say the same about the T-5 that was behind it however.

I drive like I stole it.
If someone pulls out in front of me,I'd rather total my car than have a $20,000 repaired heap.
Stay in the slow lane PLEASE!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I try to. It's hard with the hills around here. Some of those hills need 3500 RPM to maintain a decent road speed on when going up. That energy needs to be conserved as much as possible, so smooth driving is the order of the day. Coast up to lights and corners, try not to use the brakes hard, and easy on the gas.

Every once in a while the cars will get an Italian tuneup with several WOT launches from 30-65 mph on an onramp during a roadtrip.

Same conditions here. Lots of steep grades.

I also drive a lot of short trips, so short OCI's and Quality synth oils.

I usually accelerate fairly briskly with 1/3 to 1/2 throttle as I think it saves gas compared taking a mile and a half to get your car up to 55 or 60 and the TC locked.
I try not to brake at all or very hard but that's to save gas. I avoid potholes and try not to bottom the suspension out but the mechanicals of a car can take quite a bit of pounding, but sometimes the interiors can't without getting loose.

I save "Mario Andretti" stuff for the track, then its pure driving, with the only concern is going fast, the clock, and killing the odd cone. I'll rip the odd safe corner on the street, but its dumb to do it all the time, and eventually you'll get caught...

I go very easy on my engine in the winter when motor is cold. I also keep the engine below 3000 RPM so turbo does not spool up.

Once warm I use 4000RPM+ as a shift point in 04 WRX. The motor is pretty weak below 3800RPM since boost/torque does not come on till latter in the first generation 2.0L WRX.

Absolutely. 30-40 MPG can be had in MANY cars out there. My 135i will return >30, and my saab will return nearly 40 MPG.

67hp in a 2500-3000# car is all that is necessary for safe acceleration and merging. If people want to mash the go pedal and not care about physics, that is their problem. It isnt an issue of staying with the flow of traffic, as Ill out accelerate the bus, tractor trailer, etc in the next lane over - are they not traffic too?

There is a huge entitlement attitude on the part of the "go fast" crowd, especially comical are the ones who think they are more skillful/capable than the rest and therefore deserve to drive in excess of the lawful limit.

There is nothing wrong with driving a car gently to optimize efficiency and economy. ANYONE can get >30 MPG out of the typical car these days if they just know how to drive and respect physics. It doesnt mean that WOT shouldnt be done, that redline shouldnt be hit, but it should be a controlled process, not stomping the go pedal and punishing the car for not moving as fast as one wants when it is cold.

Originally Posted By: SUPERGASHOG
I drive like I stole it.
If someone pulls out in front of me,I'd rather total my car than have a $20,000 repaired heap.
Stay in the slow lane PLEASE!

There is plenty of stuff on YOUR BODY that no amount of money will ever fix. Those who tempt the faith usually get their wish, eventually.

SLOW DOWN PLEASE!!! And have some regard for others, as you may be ruining someone else’s LIFE, nobody cares about your precious car.

If you even TRY to drive gently here where I live, you`ll have tire tracks from the rear, to the front of your car! In other words, you will get run over.
smirk.gif

I'll remember that when some older dude turns left in front of my motorcycle.
Follow the rules of the road and don't try to regulate my speed...and everything will be alright.

I drive gently to normal(keeping with traffic). I use cruise control[CC] when possible and even going down road that have speed limits of only 35-40 MPH, if the road is long enough. I stop gently as well. What I have gained over the years is, longer lasting brakes/tires, better/consistant MPG and no speeding tickets that now cost $400.00 + State Surcharge, just to name a few things! The money savings is more than just MPG.

It kills me when someone rides my tail while I'm doing the speed limit and then swings out to pass me and then flips me off for going too slow.
"I WAS DOING THE SPEED LIMIT A$$#0L3"!

If I am doing the speed limit, I don't mind if someone rides my behind for a short spell and then passes me when it's safe to pass as long as they keep their comments/fingers to thenselves.

I appologies for the vulgarity on my part
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back