Does anyone drive their car gently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do a little of both.

Most of the time I am a sedate easy accelerating driver. I actually use the manual gate to select 6th gear earlier than the TCM will normally allow to keep the revs down.

My car has a rather small V6 compared to it's contemporaries anyway. It does outpower the 04-06 Chevrolet Malibu 3.5(LX9)but Nissan, Honda, Chrysler's 3.5s all outpower it and Toyota's and Hyundai's 3.3 makes a lot more torque. Not like it's a drag race king.

But when conditions are appropriate, I will put my foot in it for brisk acceleration leaving a corner.

I miss rear wheel drive burnouts!!
grin.gif

Spazdog
But when conditions are appropriate, I will put my foot in it for brisk acceleration leaving a corner.

There are a few roads in my area that are un-policed. They're old farm roads that run many miles of nothin' around. This is where I take my cars out for a run and maybe even manual shift the auto tranny just for kicks. I usually do this after winter cause I think it's good to open them up occasionaly and get rid of the cobweds(so to speak)!
There are even some curvey roads in this general area that one can utalize the suspension if you'd wish to. Some nice bends in the road that also head into another straight away past a cow chewin' on grass/cud...BA-WAAAAA!

And it doesn't break the bank or ruin all of that money saved during the year by driving normaly. It's just a Bit-O-Fun!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

It kills me when someone rides my tail while I'm doing the speed limit and then swings out to pass me and then flips me off for going too slow.
"I WAS DOING THE SPEED LIMIT A$$#0L3"!

If I am doing the speed limit, I don't mind if someone rides my behind for a short spell and then passes me when it's safe to pass as long as they keep their comments/fingers to thenselves.

There's also the notion of "going with the flow". It's even taught in driver's ed - match traffic conditions for maximum safety for all.

Are you "keeping right" when you're going the speed limit and that's clearly slower than the flow? Or are you playing "entitled" and purposely getting in the way because you're "going the limit"? Receiving "the finger" once in a while may be the other guy's issue. When you receive "the finger" on a regular basis, like you've mentioned, then maybe some examination of your habits is in order.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Very gently with an occasional redline about 4 times a year. As a result, I have gotten excellent UOA's and usually beat the EPA fuel estimates for my vehicles. Yeah, I get tailgated a bunch and even get the middle finger from time to time, but I'm not going to burn up my car and gas as a result of someone else's poor planning. I usually stay within the speed limit and finesse the transmission in such a fashion it doesn't shift as much. I also stay in the right lane when driving the speed limit to not impede faster traffic. You never know. The guy driving fast might be on the way to the hospital.

Get the [censored] out of the fast lane you slowpoke, and I won't have to flip you off!
laugh.gif

What's "even funnier" is your lack of reading comprehension. The guy you quoted stated: "I also stay in the right lane when driving the speed limit to not impede faster traffic. You never know. The guy driving fast might be on the way to the hospital."

I would say I drive gently most of the time. On those few occasions where I go "WOT" it is because there is a need to - such as merging onto a freeway via a very short ramp, or passing someone on a 2 lane highway.

Otherwise there is no reason to drive "like I stole it". I always love to see people floor it at one stop light just to sit and wait at the next one. People in smaller cars seem to be the worst offenders. I don't understand why they do this.

Most sensible people seem to slow down and change their driving habits when they have children. Too many people look at driving like it was a video game.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There is a huge entitlement attitude on the part of the "go fast" crowd, especially comical are the ones who think they are more skillful/capable than the rest and therefore deserve to drive in excess of the lawful limit.

This is one of the best comments I've seen in a while.

Last edited:
+1 to the above comment. I see it a lot around here also. Street bikers and those with loud exhausts believe they really are Mario Andretti and we should get out of their way because they have some serious driving to take care of out there.

At 5:00 in the evening when everyone else is trying to get home from work also.

I just roll my eyes, let them go about their business, and pray that I don't come around the next corner and see them dead on the road.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

It kills me when someone rides my tail while I'm doing the speed limit and then swings out to pass me and then flips me off for going too slow.

If I am doing the speed limit, I don't mind if someone rides my behind for a short spell and then passes me when it's safe to pass as long as they keep their comments/fingers to thenselves.

There's also the notion of "going with the flow". It's even taught in driver's ed - match traffic conditions for maximum safety for all.

Are you "keeping right" when you're going the speed limit and that's clearly slower than the flow? Or are you playing "entitled" and purposely getting in the way because you're "going the limit"? Receiving "the finger" once in a while may be the other guy's issue. When you receive "the finger" on a regular basis, like you've mentioned, then maybe some examination of your habits is in order.

Things may be different in Canada but in some states in the USA you can get a ticket for "going with the flow". I was in a driver's ed. class - the one you go to so you don't get that speeding ticket on your record. Most of the people who were there for speeding tickets said they "were just going with the flow" and that "everyone else was going as fast as they were." I have a close family member who had the same thing happen in Arizona.

Me? I was there because I wasn't paying attention to where the speed limit sign changed from 50 to 35 and the local P.D. was 'hiding in the bushes' with a radar gun.

Edit: Also states like Ca. obviously don't think all traffic should be moving at the same rate. We have one speed limit for trucks (or vehicles that are towing) which is 55, and all other passenger vehicles can go as high as 70.

When I go to Arizona, it is weird because the trucks can go the same limit as the cars which is 75 on the Interstate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigmike
There is a huge entitlement attitude on the part of the "go fast" crowd, especially comical are the ones who think they are more skillful/capable than the rest and therefore deserve to drive in excess of the lawful limit.

01.gif

I usually start it up, and unless the engine is cold and it's below freezing, I'll drop it in gear as soon as the oil pressure gauge stops climbing.

As far as driving, I'm usually reasonably gentle, letting it shift around 2100 rpm until it warms up, then around 2300 - 2500 after that, which is on the line between normal and a bit on the quick side of things. I'll pick up a bit faster at times just for fun, and almost always hammer it getting on the highway up to 70 or so. I'm not gentle in the corners either, even though I drive a brick.

But, with 115k miles on it, it runs and drives beautifully (better than it did when I bought it at just under 100k). It had no complaints about me hammering on it at a sustained 2500+ rpm for 15 minutes or so (twice) and pushing it in the corners (squealed the tires once) when I took it down to Watkins Glen for opening weekend. Made the 1.5 hour drive down and back just fine too, and ran even better than normal after that (got a good Italian tuneup).

I do try to drive efficiently though, so I'm pretty gentle on the brakes most of the time.

EDIT: Oh, and for those who talk about those with loud exhausts, and those who like to drive fast/hard, I'm much more reserved when there are other cars around, and will only push it when it's safe to do so (and I still try to stay pretty close to the speed limit).

Last edited:

I always keep right! Unless the traffic is all traveling at higher speeds, then I'll cruise at 65,75,80 mph. I don't have any issues with high speeds as long as I'm in the middle of it all and not at the tail end of traffic as to get nabbed by Mr. Policeman.

Receiving the "finger" is once in a blue moon only. Like everyone else has gotten flipped off. It's not often, as I was really trying to be humorous rather than serious. I usually travel within the posted speed limit and set the cruise. I pace the traffic only a bit as not to loose or gain on the vehicle ahead while not going too far over the limit. If it upsets/p!$$@$ off other drivers...So be it!

I have also traveled to AZ while my daughter was at ASU, and I still do to visit friend that we have made. And one needs to keep within the limits, as there is always cameras in Phoenix/Scottsdale and some surrounding areas and speed enforcement on the highway with signs warning driver of enforcement ahead. This is my experience when traveling from AZ to CA or AZ to NV.

In my area, there is enforcement everywhere, so trust me, I'm not traveling too slow. The enforcement is like ants; they're everywhere!

I also take pleasure in seeing the person(usually a women) that flipped me off, a mile or two down the highway, pulled over by the State Police for speeding.

Last edited:
I often travel on a 2-lane blacktop Farm to Market road to get to one of my offices in a small town south of FtWorth. It has a posted speed throughout most of it of 55 mph. The asphalt is in really good condition for being a middle of nowhere FM road.

I often gather a long line of tailgaters while I am rolling along at or usually a little over the speed limit.

There is a nice 90° right + 90° left switchback right in the middle of this country road. It's posted at 30 mph

Funny thing happens when I go through it at 55mph. All my tailgaters disappear. They are gone. Completely. I exit the switchback with no followers.

I wonder how many middle fingers have been extended in my honor....If they can. Hard to flip someone off when your Tahoe is sliding into a ditch.

And I do it all without hammering the long skinny pedal on the right.

There entitlement in both "crowds". The drive-under-the-limit crowd feels that everyone else is reckless, in too much of a hurry and should wait for them to get where they are going (and go around if they don't like it). The tailgating crowd feels that everyone else on the road should pull off into the ditch to let them through.

Both extremes are discourteous, selfish and "entitled".

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Things may be different in Canada but in some states in the USA you can get a ticket for "going with the flow". I was in a driver's ed. class - the one you go to so you don't get that speeding ticket on your record. Most of the people who were there for speeding tickets said they "were just going with the flow" and that "everyone else was going as fast as they were." I have a close family member who had the same thing happen in Arizona.

The police can ticket whomever they please. If they were running a big operation, particularly with air support, they could pull over 20 cars "going with the flow" if they felt like it. They usually don't, however. On major Interstate-class highways I am usually driving over the limit if conditions permit, but I'm also not nearly the fastest person out there. A lot of the air supported stings take a stance that I agree with. If they spot you from the air at a high rate of speed (usually around 30kph over) or doing lots of weaving, lane changes, or generally lacking safety and courtesy (regardless of speed) they'll pull you over. If everyone is sliding along at 125kph with no drama they'll leave you alone.

I've never been pulled over, or issued a ticket. *big knock on wood*

The police can ticket whomever they please. If they were running a big operation, particularly with air support, they could pull over 20 cars "going with the flow" if they felt like it. They usually don't, however. On major Interstate-class highways I am usually driving over the limit if conditions permit, but I'm also not nearly the fastest person out there. A lot of the air supported stings take a stance that I agree with. If they spot you from the air at a high rate of speed (usually around 30kph over) or doing lots of weaving, lane changes, or generally lacking safety and courtesy (regardless of speed) they'll pull you over. If everyone is sliding along at 125kph with no drama they'll leave you alone.

I've never been pulled over, or issued a ticket. *big knock on wood*

Like I said - things may be different in Canada vs the USA. My Dad had a friend who was a CHP and he told us once "Sure we can't get everyone that speeds, but we will pick someone and get them."

There is no such thing as "unwritten laws" when it comes to traffic. Don't believe me - go sit in one of our traffic courts.

Chalk me up as a gentle driver. Most cars I drive I can get along with as little as 20% throttle in normal daily driving. Which is why I enjoy besting EPA in every vehicle I have ever driven by quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I give it WOT maybe once every 1 or 2 months to clear the cobwebs out and I smile every time cuz its fun, and the "now realized" power is appreciated...but other than that I am pretty easy on my cars. Consequently my cars always last a long, long time...

The difference is one extreme is breaking the law, and the other isn't. Are they both unsafe and discourteous? Sure.

There entitlement in both "crowds". The drive-under-the-limit crowd feels that everyone else is reckless, in too much of a hurry and should wait for them to get where they are going (and go around if they don't like it). The tailgating crowd feels that everyone else on the road should pull off into the ditch to let them through.

I don't see much if any of that here in the US ("The drive-under-the-limit crowd") and I've been to a large percentage of the states here.
You might get people driving AT the limit in the fast lanes at times, but no "under the limit".
In my 60+ years of driving I've seen much more of the "go fast" crowd especially in California and maybe Texas.

And what is wrong with expecting people to "go around you" if there are multiple lanes. Also people never figure out - the speed limit is just that - A LIMIT! It doesn't mean you MUST go that speed. It's not a speed "suggestion".
As a matter of fact you can get a ticket (in Ca. for sure) for going the speed limit if the weather or road conditions are bad.
People who are in a hurry should leave home sooner and learn how to manage their time instead of taking out their inabilities in the form of "road rage". It's a matter of growing up and learning to share and realizing that no one owns the road.

Last edited:

I don't see much if any of that here in the US ("The drive-under-the-limit crowd") and I've been to a large percentage of the states here.
You might get people driving AT the limit in the fast lanes at times, but no "under the limit".
In my 60+ years of driving I've seen much more of the "go fast" crowd especially in California and maybe Texas.

Come to Florida from November to April. You might see your lifetime's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back