Does Amsoil (or anyone) sell a cone shaped foam air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
As I mentioned in another post on here, one of the modifications I will be doing to my 95
Firebird soon will be a cold air induction kit. All of these kits include a cone shaped K&N air
filter. I want the 10hp gain they provide (the gain is from replacing the factory airbox with
a smoother tube) but I don't want the added dirt into my engine. So after one oil interval with
the K&N just to check the silicon level, I will most likely want to replace the cone shaped K&N
with a foam air filter like the Amsoil. I just don't know if Amsoil makes a cone shaped foam
filter. If they don't, who else might?

To get an idea of the type of filter I'm referring to, see my old GTP page:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1320/gtp.html

On the 6th picture it shows my engine bay, with the K&N 9" conical filter. I wish I had done
oil analysis back then to see if this filter was a lot worse than stock! It definitely made
horsepower, the factory airbox on those GTPs is restrictive!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
As I mentioned in another post on here, one of the modifications I will be doing to my 95
Firebird soon will be a cold air induction kit. All of these kits include a cone shaped K&N air
filter. I want the 10hp gain they provide (the gain is from replacing the factory airbox with
a smoother tube) but I don't want the added dirt into my engine. So after one oil interval with
the K&N just to check the silicon level, I will most likely want to replace the cone shaped K&N
with a foam air filter like the Amsoil. I just don't know if Amsoil makes a cone shaped foam
filter. If they don't, who else might?

To get an idea of the type of filter I'm referring to, see my old GTP page:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1320/gtp.html

On the 6th picture it shows my engine bay, with the K&N 9" conical filter. I wish I had done
oil analysis back then to see if this filter was a lot worse than stock! It definitely made
horsepower, the factory airbox on those GTPs is restrictive!

Amsoil Doesn't make any of the conical type filters. I have an F150 that has that type, and can't even get one special order.

Take a look at these guys they make some good stuff.

http://www.pipercross.com/

Here is a link to one of their induction kits:
http://www.pipercross.com/induction_kits.htm

You could also see if a Western Diesel filter would fit, or if they could make one up for you.

http://www.westerndiesel.com/dsp_ford_filters.asp

-

I seem to recall seeing foam air filters made by Holley a few years ago at my local Canadian Tire. I wonder if they still make them. Maybe it's time for me to do a Google search! I'll be back!
smile.gif

OK, I'm back already.

The ones I see now made by Holley are cotton gauze, just like K&N.
frown.gif
I guess they don't make the foam anymore. And they claim to flow better than K&N, so they probably let in even more dirt.
frown.gif

ITG makes some. Don't know too much about them. But they are sold and recommended by a popular BMW tuner, Jim Conforti. He claims he has some friends that work at a test lab or something along those lines and they made a test to measure efficiency and pressure drop and the foam has equal to or better efficiency than paper and much more dust capacity. Cotton gauze was worse in both aspects.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/philosophy.asp

Patman, I was doing a search for this some time back and came up with Holley
frown.gif
, Accel and Jet Performance. If memory serves me correctly Jet was switching to a gauze type, also. Try an e-bay search on these 3 brands and see what falls out. It seems to me that someone was selling a bunch of new filters (can't remember which brand) for some applications. Good Luck!

Wait a second! You reminded me! It wasn't Holley I saw at CT that was foam, it was Accel! I wonder if any of the CT stores in my area can get their hands on a cone shaped foam Accel? Time to do some searching!
grin.gif

Patman, it was Accel that had the foam filters. Just not sure if they have a cone type. Two ideas for you if you don't come up with anything from them. AutoZone sells paper cone type filters in the Import section that has a 2.5 or 3 inch flange. Don't know how good they are but I bought one when I was experimenting with my cold air induction for my Kia. Man, don't laugh too hard on that one. I was trying to up my mpg.
grin.gif
Also the import mags have quite a bit of what appears to be paper and foam type filters out there for imports, so you might try picking up a mag and flipping though it. Second- you could get the little pre filter foam element thingie that wraps around the filter. They sell them in the Summit mag. They are usually for the normal round filters but they may make them for the cone type as well. If not, you could cut one and wrap it around the filter. Might look a little Jerry Riggy though, maybe not depending on how you wrap it. For that matter, you could measure the length of your cone filter and maybe they have the pre-filter that would match the height of the cone filter that would wrap in a single pass. Cut it to the correct length and angle then stitch it up on a sewing machine. Can you tell I have too much time on my hands? Also, I'm a four wheeler so I get plenty of field engineering experience. Sometimes it just don't look too pretty. Usually works well though.Form follows function!!!
grin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions Judd! I too was thinking that one of those foam wrap type things would probably work well.

I have a Hastings cone filter for my Nissan that my BIL ordered for me.

Works great, Si levels stay pretty low.

Yup, thanks, Judd! I've considered just getting a few lawn mower filter sleeves & putting them around a cone oiled gauze/K&N type(AFE). I think an oiled foam sleeve might do well when stretched over a K&N type filter. If kept serviced, they protect lawn mowers for *years*, even when they often run in a cloud of sand. Remove foam sleeve, run paper filter only, & it'll be junk in ~2 years.

No scientific data here, just an observation.

I gotta go spend ~2 1/2 hrs mowing this afternoon. More than 1 hr of that will be in a "cloud of sand".
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back