Does 5W-30 REALLY protect better than 5W-20?

Manufacturers are not being extorted by the government. They may use any oil of their choosing during testing.
Then why the differences in countries outside the US? Are you going to tell us that Xw-20 is not available anywhere outside of the US, or maybe that the “Euro” oils are the only thing available in Europe? Seems I remember a time when a 5w-20 oil was darn near impossible to find over the 5w-30/10w-40/sae30w that we’re on the shelves everywhere here. Now it’s Xw-20 Everywhere. Sure, they may use any oil during testing, but when you gotta squeeze a car engine to get an overall fleet mileage to CAFE standards, then you might as well be extorted. They just need that engine to last it’s normal 6 years 150k miles, so that your loan is paid off, and it’s time for a new one. 5w-20 will get you there, sure. But it’s hardly an issue to make it available everywhere else if it were so good. In fact, it would be economically feasible to keep less different weights worldwide

10w-40 to 10w-30: oils too thin. 10w-30 to 5w-30: oils too thin. 5w-30 to 5w-20: oils too thin. 5w-20 to 0w-16: oils too thin. And still no one here has or will keep their vehicle long enough to know the difference. Some folks are set in their ways just don't progress.

Here is a sample of my stable:
2000 4Runner 265k miles. 0w-20 runs quiet and uses no oil in 5-6k/1 year OCI's.
1993 F150 255k miles. Runs quiet and uses no oil in 5k/3 year OCI's. Has run on 5w-20 for my 20 years of ownership. 5w-30 in it now but will be 0w-20 next OCI.

[QUOTE="ka9mnx:
Do you really think a vehicle manufacturer is going to deliberately use an oil that will compromise an engines reliability just to satisfy CAFE?

Possibly....after all the manufacturers often recommend 'lifetime' ATF's etc....even though we all know that is "deliberately compromising (longterm) reliability"...

Do you really think a vehicle manufacturer is going to deliberately use an oil that will compromise an engines reliability just to satisfy CAFE?
Possibly....after all the manufacturers often recommend 'lifetime' ATF's etc....even though we all know that is "deliberately compromising (longterm) reliability"...
Very true but how many people actually change their ATF?

Very true but how many people actually change their ATF?
Modern atf is great but people who want to keep their vehicle 500k miles will not get that far on the factory fill. At 126k the factory atf in my transmission was completely black and filled with particulates. OEM power train warranty is 100k/10 years so as far as I'm concerned the fluid is good only that long. My definition of "lifetime" is a lot longer than Hyundai's.

Only difference outside extreme op conditions (towing and high speed) is a slight more friction resulting is less fuel economy and one would need a lab test to notice the difference.

Back