Dodge Durango Oil Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Silver:
Anynody got any updates or more info on the Durango thing? I just helped my sister in law buy either an /02 or /03 Durango 4.7 and am wondering if she's in jeopardy of problems. I'm going to make sure she's changing the oil at least every 5k and keeping the receipts but I wonder if they made any changes and exactly what's going on with those engines.

Silver, after reading the consumer affairs article i would agree with Brian Barnhart that the posts there ,are questionable.
How it is possible to have a vehicle under warranty and not have it serviced by the dealer?
Plain stupidity.(don't you have service books in USA, where the dealer confirms the scheduled maintenance has performed?).
Secondly, they don't know what weight of oil they were using, most of them don't say every how many miles they changed it and the posts indicate people who believe that cars work like fridges.(nil maintenance)
Maybe ,MAYBE 1 or 2 cases are true ,all the others i personally think are because of improper maintenance.

I am a Chrysler Master Technician and I'll state that there is NO problems with the Dodge Dakota or Durango engines.Period.There was a TSB out that had something to do with the oil filler cap getting a milky residue.But this doesn't happen on the inside of the engine and there is a fix for the filler cap.I have a 4.7 in my 2002 Dodge 1500 truck and it's one of the best engines that Chrysler has ever produced.

I really wonder how well these engines were maintained.I see a lot of "I changed the oil,but don't have a logbook or recipts".

I also had several hundered Durangos when I was the maint.mgr for Dollar Rent-A-Car in my fleet.We changed the oil and filter at 7500 miles and we never had a engine problem or any sludge problems either.(Union 76 10w30 and Fram filters)

I know it's not much of a comparison, but I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 with a 3.9L six-banger (which is based on the 318) and have no problems with it whatsoever. Uses no oil (Amsoil 10W-30) between changes and averages 19 to 20 mpg, which is not too bad for a fullsize truck. The company I work for uses Dodge Durangos and Dakotas and trades themin after 150 to 170,000 miles. Never an engine problem, but they are serviced regularly. In my opinion, Dodge is a first rate truck and has no inherent problems.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back