Dodge Durango Oil Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, id avoid buying one period after those kind of statements. If their are engines blowing at 50k, that isn't quality at all, thats pure junk. And chrysler charges over 40,000 for a suv that sucks gas and sludges up oil and breaks down in no time. Wow what an investment.

Am I off base here, or is anyone else seeing a pattern here in the way certain manufacturers deal with problems. I think I know where the Iraqi info minister went to... he is either working at GM or Chrysler! How can they deny this in the face of overwhealming facts? And GM with the intake gasket problems, piston slap, copper, and them actually taking a customer that had reciepts to court about head gasket repairs. Shows a LOT about the integrity of certain companies.
At least Toyota is acknowledging and rectifying their V6 sludging problems.

While we're on the subject, let me add the recent VW/Audi coilpack fiasco here.

The alarming rate at which coilpacks were failing on 2001 and 2002 VW and Audi engines became apparent and widely discussed among owners of those vehicles on numerous internet boards since early 2002. It took nearly a year for the press to become interested in the subject and finally, after a number of harsh articles published in several major US newspapers in early January 2003, VW and Audi admitted that thare is in fact a problem.

Although Audi/VW promised a recall of the faulty parts (4 coils in a 4-cylinder engine, 6 in a V6), they have not committed to any specific date. So, there are still thousands of cars on the roads right now with faulty parts in them. Failure of one coilpack results in significant power reduction or even stalling at times. According to Audi/VW, this is not a safety issue (NHTSA has not picked up on it as of yet), but what if the failure occurs while you're trying to overtake a semi or cross a busy intersection?

Over the past year, thousands of almost brand new VWs and Audis have been sitting on dealer lots for weeks, waiting for new coilpacks to come in because the high failure rate caused a major nationwide coilpack shortage. The only coilpack supplier in Germany is so small, they cannot make new coilpacks fast enough to cover VW/Audi new car production needs AND make spare parts at the same time. As far as I know, there are still shortages at some dealerships, which makes you wonder how long it'll take them to build up enough supply to begin the recall.

By the way, Audi reps will be the first to correct you if you happen to call it a "recall". It's a "Customer Service Action" according to them.
rolleyes.gif

One of the articles on the subject that's still on line:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/vw_coils.html

How do I know about this? Because I have four coilpacks that qualify for replacement sitting under my hood right now, waiting to fail at any time. Knowing that your pricey new car can leave you stranded on the side of the road and the manufacturer knows about it and is still dragging their feet about correcting it is a bit dishartening to say the least. I love my car, I just wish Audi/VW would love their customers at least half as much.

**** end of rant ****
grin.gif

According to what people have said on the internet, it took a long time before Toyota finally admitted to having any problems with any of their cars, vanc, trucks, and SUVs.

But apparently they are doing something about it. Other companies are still denying they have any problems.

All of these problems with rngine sludge build-up, piston slap, and copper wear makes me wonder just now much testing is actually done on new vehicles. And how high quality (or low quality) is the testing that is done.

It seems Toyota is also suffering from sludged engines. What are the factors causing these new sludging problems? Oils have been getting better and, for most auto makers, oil change intervals haven't increased (still 7500 miles). I wonder if the manufacturers are reducing the size of the crankcase and oil capacity to minimize weight and space? If so, the automakers are to blame for this problem.

What I heard in the case of Toyota (and this is just what I heard and not proven as fact) is that coolant flow into the engine was deceased to increase temperatures so as to make possible better fuel economy. This is what people have ALLEGED on the internet discussion boards.

There were alleged to be problems with oil consumption and sludge with some Saturns, allegedly because of some sort of problem with the rings. The problem is supposed to have been corrected. The last thing I heard about that is that some people have problems and others don't.

I don't know if Toyota has actually admitted to having any problems with sludged up engines. The last I heard Toyota representatives said that any problems were caused by owner neglect (owners not changing the oil frequently enough, etc.).

I have not heard of any Saturn recalls because of sludge build-up and oil consumption, so I guess that Saturn people do not think they have a problem. I personally own a Saturn.

Milton C. Hubbard, according to what people said on the internet about Toyota engine sludge problems (which affected some cars, vans, and maybe trucks and SUVs), it did not seem to help to use synthetic oil in place of conventional oil. The oil still broke down, according to what people said. Maybe Auto-RX would save a lot of these vehicles. But even if it would, I don't think I would want to try extended oil changes with one of these vehicles. Some people felt that in the case of vans that had problems, because of the design and cramped engine space, heat build-up excessively in the engines.

This is way off topic but after reading the testiments of the affected people I can't help but wonder why people buy such expensive vehicles when they don't have any money. One poor lady couldn't afford to rent a car. That's just crazy. How did they afford to put fuel into the thing?

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
This is way off topic but after reading the testiments of the affected people I can't help but wonder why people buy such expensive vehicles when they don't have any money. One poor lady couldn't afford to rent a car. That's just crazy. How did they afford to put fuel into the thing?

The modern day miricle called leasing. Just imagine, you can be on welfare and lease a $30,000+ car for less than $20/mo.

It just doesn't make any sense really!!!
crushedcar.gif

quote:

...it took a long time before Toyota finally admitted to having any problems with any of their cars, vanc, trucks, and SUVs.

I think in some cases its a matter of Denial, in other cases it's a matter of "Realization Lag, and how do we handle this?"

What I am about to say is just opion based on observation. I mentioned on another post that with better material controls, slightly tighter clearnces and much better tolerances you would imagine that all vechiles would be hitting 300,000 with no mechanical problems. IT seems like this is not the case. Dodge, GM, Ford and the gold stnadard for power train durability Toyota are all haveing problems with durability. The traditonal domestic makes are no more durable or reliable then 10-15 years ago. The Toyotas are starting to burn oil and sludge up at an alarming rate. The only things that I can see that they all have in common is insistance on 5W30 dino oil for all conditions, longer drain intervals, and higher temp with leaner combustion to apease EPA. If you put these things together you can easily see what we should be doing. 1) Running a good wetting agent. 2) Think about a cooler thermostat. 3)Thicker synthetic oils based on the old API VIS/Temp guide. 4) More frequent serviceing. 5) Running a good fule additive to try to keep the emission gear from pluging up.

John,

I agree with all points save number 2.

A cooler thermostat will allow deposit buildups on valve stems, reducing flow of intake charge and slowing exhaust gas flow.

I agree that lower viscosity specifications as being a possible problem, especially with dino oils, but I believe that lower cross sections for cooling, lower sump capacities, and extended drain intervals are possible major causes for sludging.

[ May 19, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Just imagine, you can be on welfare and lease a $30,000+ car for less than $20/mo.

For $20/month even I would sign up for a lease! (I guess you meant $200/month?) We should have a new class in school called, "Finances 101" wherein kids learn that leases are a rip-off, when you buy a car you should keep it until it's near-death (~200,000 miles), and debt is a BAD idea.

There are too many people doing the exact opposite of what it takes to get ahead and succeed (i.e. saving your money and scrapping every penny).
re: Dodge and Toyota engines both have the same flaw: They run too hot. The oil gets cooked.

I own a Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7V8. While it does get the milky foam in the composite oil fill tube I have never seen it in the engines oil, on the dipstick or anyplace in the head. The only time you really see it is if you run dino oil. THe wieght does not matter niether doe the time in the crank case. I saw it with the synthetic blends I used for break in as well. It is most noticeable in the winter time. It is mostly a product of condensation in the compostie tube because it cool differently then the surounding alloys. Most everyone I have spoken to about this has been able to get rid of this problem simply by useing synthetic oil. I know alot of guys that hot rod the 4.7 and none of us have had any sign of white foamy oil anyplace else in the engine other then the oil fill tube.

What I find most interesting about the "article" is that only Durangos are mentioned, and only a few of the "letters" specify which engine. There were at least 4 engines in use from '98 to '01 in the Durango. Do they all have the "sludge" problem? Are all 4+ engines of the same basic design? And what about the Dakotas, Ram pickups, and Vans that use the same engines?

I also noticed a complete absence of type or weight of oil used.

Not trying to stir up trouble, nor stick up for DC, but the "article" strikes me as questionable.

Brian

I'm not sure about the sludge problem but I've had 2 major problems with my 02 R/T: 1. power door locks would unlock after you locked it(what I mean is that when you parked the R/T and went into a store, by the time you got back the R/T would have already unlocked the doors!! I guess that puts shopping off! Dodge replaced all the locks because they said that the locks had a short. 2. Yesterday while my wife was going to work, at a light, she looked down and the temp gauge was on red. It's only 7 months old and already overheating!!! It turned out to be a stuck thermastat. Not that bad, but could have been. Sorry about changing the subject, I just thought you should know about the other problems I had with a new R/T.

All yah, forgot to tell you what I thought was funny. While they were changing the thermastat, they did a 27 point check and one of them was the oil. They marked that the oil looked in good shape, but what they don't know won't hurt them( the oil has 8k miles on it and counting, it's amsoil 5w30).

[ May 27, 2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: tmgxray ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
What I am about to say is just opion based on observation. I mentioned on another post that with better material controls, slightly tighter clearnces and much better tolerances you would imagine that all vechiles would be hitting 300,000 with no mechanical problems. IT seems like this is not the case. Dodge, GM, Ford and the gold stnadard for power train durability Toyota are all haveing problems with durability. The traditonal domestic makes are no more durable or reliable then 10-15 years ago. The Toyotas are starting to burn oil and sludge up at an alarming rate. The only things that I can see that they all have in common is insistance on 5W30 dino oil for all conditions, longer drain intervals, and higher temp with leaner combustion to apease EPA. If you put these things together you can easily see what we should be doing. 1) Running a good wetting agent. 2) Think about a cooler thermostat. 3)Thicker synthetic oils based on the old API VIS/Temp guide. 4) More frequent serviceing. 5) Running a good fule additive to try to keep the emission gear from pluging up.

I also think your points are very valid. Like Molakule I would disagree with 2) but otherwise: points well taken.
cheers.gif

[ May 27, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Anynody got any updates or more info on the Durango thing? I just helped my sister in law buy either an /02 or /03 Durango 4.7 and am wondering if she's in jeopardy of problems. I'm going to make sure she's changing the oil at least every 5k and keeping the receipts but I wonder if they made any changes and exactly what's going on with those engines.

This is an opinion or observation? with computer designing all of the quality can be cut to maximize profit at the expense of the car purchaser, like the difference between the additive packages in Valvoline and Schaffer oils. IMO and experience John Browning is more likely to be correct than not.

[ August 01, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back