Dodge dart running issues after filling up fuel

I know on the BMW's the carbon canister will become saturated. Is it easy enough to check on this car?
You have to pull the rear wheel and fender liner. The esim attached to it when I replaced it months ago I didn't notice a problem. I didn't remove. It entirely and inspect it though.

You have to pull the rear wheel and fender liner. The esim attached to it when I replaced it months ago I didn't notice a problem. I didn't remove. It entirely and inspect it though.

Sounds like you may want to if it's the same issue as BMW's have, which is it getting saturated and then persistent problems after that fact that are somewhat similar to yours.

Sounds like you may want to if it's the same issue as BMW's have, which is it getting saturated and then persistent problems after that fact that are somewhat similar to yours.

Well it's late but I didn't have nothing else to do and it was a nice and cool evening. So what I found was the car does indeed just send raw fuel through the purge valve as soon as it opens. I could open it with a scan tool and it immediately would do it with a full tank. I traced that line back to the canister and the line coming to the canister goes to the top of the fuel pump. So my theory is when the tank is full there is a check valve in there that is not functioning properly and is allowing raw fuel to be sucked up from that line into the canister and then to the purge valve )into the intake. Sound plausible?

Well it's late but I didn't have nothing else to do and it was a nice and cool evening. So what I found was the car does indeed just send raw fuel through the purge valve as soon as it opens. I could open it with a scan tool and it immediately would do it with a full tank. I traced that line back to the canister and the line coming to the canister goes to the top of the fuel pump. So my theory is when the tank is full there is a check valve in there that is not functioning properly and is allowing raw fuel to be sucked up from that line into the canister and then to the purge valve )into the intake. Sound plausible?
Quite possible, and also appears to confirm that the canister is saturated :(

That really sucks. How much is a replacement canister?

Quite possible, and also appears to confirm that the canister is saturated :(

That really sucks. How much is a replacement canister?

$106 on rock auto. So I am probably correct in my assumption that there should be a check valve in that pump assembly that keeps raw fuel from flowing to the canister?

$106 on rock auto. So I am probably correct in my assumption that there should be a check valve in that pump assembly that keeps raw fuel from flowing to the canister?

Probably? But I'd look at a schematic as it may be a situation where it's just high enough that it's expected that it doesn't need one and then in a top off situation, fuel is making its way through, I think that's how it plays out in the bimmers. My M5 had this problem, that's why I seem familiar with it.

Probably? But I'd look at a schematic as it may be a situation where it's just high enough that it's expected that it doesn't need one and then in a top off situation, fuel is making its way through, I think that's how it plays out in the bimmers. My M5 had this problem, that's why I seem familiar with it.

Here's the diagram from all data. Looks like fuel pump assembly but it's not very clear either 🤷

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200920-125328.png
    Screenshot_20200920-125328.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 18
Here's the diagram from all data. Looks like fuel pump assembly but it's not very clear either 🤷
Unfortunately that's so small on my screen I can't discern anything useful from it. I'd definitely start with replacing the carbon canister.

Unfortunately that's so small on my screen I can't discern anything useful from it. I'd definitely start with replacing the carbon canister.
You can't click on it? On my end I can click it and zoom in as necessary

Definitely looks like it passes through the assembly. What part is 16? It looks like fuel could flow through into the carbon canister through 11 if somebody filled it right to the brim.

Definitely looks like it passes through the assembly. What part is 16? It looks like fuel could flow through into the carbon canister through 11 if somebody filled it right to the brim.
16 would be the grade vent valve. I don't even top off so if things are acting properly it shouldn't get high enough to effect 11. I let the pump click off and that is it.

16 would be the grade vent valve. I don't even top off so if things are acting properly it shouldn't get high enough to effect 11. I let the pump click off and that is it.
But you were topping off before right? I think the issue is that once the canister is saturated, it needs to be replaced, it won't unsaturate itself.

But you were topping off before right? I think the issue is that once the canister is saturated, it needs to be replaced, it won't unsaturate itself.
I had a bad habit of leaving it running while filling up. I wouldn't top it off but I did leave it running that was back in February. I stopped doing so and you had said run like ten tanks through it and see if it clears up and it did and didn't do it again until the last couple weeks. So I would think if it was the canister itself it wouldn't have been ok for so long. No doubt it's probably been compromised but to go that long without a hiccup and then all the sudden it's back to being goofy I'd think it would have to be something else. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm wrong? 🤷

I had a bad habit of leaving it running while filling up. I wouldn't top it off but I did leave it running that was back in February. I stopped doing so and you had said run like ten tanks through it and see if it clears up and it did and didn't do it again until the last couple weeks. So I would think if it was the canister itself it wouldn't have been ok for so long. No doubt it's probably been compromised but to go that long without a hiccup and then all the sudden it's back to being goofy I'd think it would have to be something else. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm wrong? 🤷

Wonder if doing it when running compromised something else and that there was also a partial saturation of the carbon canister which has now fully manifested into what you are experiencing? Not sure how you'd go about testing for this though.... We do seem to have confirmed the canister needs replacing, but if it is going to continue to see gasoline, you'll end up just killing the replacement. Looks like you'll need to do the canister and whatever valve is responsible for gasoline getting to it.

Wonder if doing it when running compromised something else and that there was also a partial saturation of the carbon canister which has now fully manifested into what you are experiencing? Not sure how you'd go about testing for this though.... We do seem to have confirmed the canister needs replacing, but if it is going to continue to see gasoline, you'll end up just killing the replacement. Looks like you'll need to do the canister and whatever valve is responsible for gasoline getting to it.

Yeah, kinda seems like it's either fuel pump assembly or the grade vent valve..... Which I'm not sure is replaceable. Might be part of the tank itself.

Back