Dodge dart running issues after filling up fuel

Originally Posted by ram_man
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by eljefino
Your purge valve is open and you're running raw gas through it. Stop it. Turn the car off like you're supposed to.

This.

OP: You've likely saturated the charcoal canister at this point performing this stunt, which is why it didn't do it originally, despite it being soundly unendorsed by the OEM. If you stop doing it, there is a chance that you may not have to replace it.

This makes sense. I really don't know why I leave it running. Just a bad habit. My dad always did it and so have I.
I never top off or if I do which is very rare I maybe go from like 26.27 to 26.30 that's it though. I usually don't even bother. My OCD in that regard has gotten better as I've aged.
It hasn't acted up when shutting it off to get gas. And it doesn't act up unless you fill it. It only misbehaves when fueling while running to full.
So I'll stop doing that and keep a watch on it.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Your purge valve is open and you're running raw gas through it. Stop it. Turn the car off like you're supposed to.

This.

OP: You've likely saturated the charcoal canister at this point performing this stunt, which is why it didn't do it originally, despite it being soundly unendorsed by the OEM. If you stop doing it, there is a chance that you may not have to replace it.

This makes sense. I really don't know why I leave it running. Just a bad habit. My dad always did it and so have I.
I never top off or if I do which is very rare I maybe go from like 26.27 to 26.30 that's it though. I usually don't even bother. My OCD in that regard has gotten better as I've aged.
It hasn't acted up when shutting it off to get gas. And it doesn't act up unless you fill it. It only misbehaves when fueling while running to full.
So I'll stop doing that and keep a watch on it.

thumbsup2.gif

Well we have filled up about 4 times and it's been fine until tonight it acted up the same way as mentioned above. I have been filling it with the car off. No codes still. I'm kind of lost honestly.

Well we have filled up about 4 times and it's been fine until tonight it acted up the same way as mentioned above. I have been filling it with the car off. No codes still. I'm kind of lost honestly.

You may still have a saturated charcoal canister or something is damaged from filling it up running. Are you topping it off or only letting the pump run until it clicks off once? The fact you were able to not have the issue 4x is promising however. I'd avoid topping off if you are doing it, you want to see if it can clear itself out of gas getting where it wasn't supposed to.

You may still have a saturated charcoal canister or something is damaged from filling it up running. Are you topping it off or only letting the pump run until it clicks off once? The fact you were able to not have the issue 4x is promising however. I'd avoid topping off if you are doing it, you want to see if it can clear itself out of gas getting where it wasn't supposed to.

It stopped at $30.48 and I clicked it to 30.50 so I mean that was it I didn't sit there and top it up repeatedly . I literally gave it 2 cents worth ...‚...‚ no pun intended.

Don't do that either if the evap system is loaded up with fuel. It's not necessary for the tank to be as full as possible. If the car's gauge isn't broken, give the evap system a chance to breathe.

It usually says on the gas pump to shut the car off, and if you're exiting your vehicle it's probably something you should consider anyway. But I'm sure you have blocked me for saying things like this.

Well after hitting the dart forums it sounds like it's likely a fuel tank issue itself. The fuel tank has the valve integrated into it if they're bad itll cause the fuel to travel to the Purge valve once the car starts and into the intake.

Well after hitting the dart forums it sounds like it's likely a fuel tank issue itself. The fuel tank has the valve integrated into it if they're bad itll cause the fuel to travel to the Purge valve once the car starts and into the intake.

Yeah, sometimes they integrate them into the tank assembly, which it sounds like is the case. It's possible it'll still clear itself, and your recent experience is promising. I'd keep an eye on it, refrain from topping off and see if it improves or gets worse. No point in tossing money at it quite yet.

Yeah, sometimes they integrate them into the tank assembly, which it sounds like is the case. It's possible it'll still clear itself, and your recent experience is promising. I'd keep an eye on it, refrain from topping off and see if it improves or gets worse. No point in tossing money at it quite yet.

What do you think a reasonable amount of time is before throwing in the towel?

I'd give it 10-12 tanks.

I'd give it 10-12 tanks.

Ok I'll do that. Wonder if when it acts up if I could pull over and pull a Purge line and verify there's fuel in it. Sounds good but probably difficult in practice.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Could be sucking fuel into the charcoal canister, and when the PCM sends the purge command it's flooding the engine. My parents 2004 Grand Caravan had a stuck valve or something, every time you'd fill the tank completely full it would do exactly what you described. But if we stopped it before it's full, it wouldn't do it.... I'd try that next time and see if still does it.

X2. Don't top off after the pump has shut off.

Well reviving the thread. The last couple weeks the dart starting do this same thing again. I haven't topped it off anymore I haven't left it on while fueling . Today it bucked and misfired a few times at highway speed then I sent the parking lot on a slight incline and it literally just kept shutting off every couple of minutes and then it would struggle starting. After doing this 4 times it cleared out and then ran fine. So it only seems to be a problem on a full tank. The purge valve and esim has been replaced I am at a loss.

Well reviving the thread. The last couple weeks the dart starting do this same thing again. I haven't topped it off anymore I haven't left it on while fueling . Today it bucked and misfired a few times at highway speed then I sent the parking lot on a slight incline and it literally just kept shutting off every couple of minutes and then it would struggle starting. After doing this 4 times it cleared out and then ran fine. So it only seems to be a problem on a full tank. The purge valve and esim has been replaced I am at a loss.

I assume it's capless eh? Could, if it had a cap, open it and see if it had any impact. Just spitballing, since you've indicated you replaced the purge valve and ESIM. What about the carbon canister?

I assume it's capless eh? Could, if it had a cap, open it and see if it had any impact. Just spitballing, since you've indicated you replaced the purge valve and ESIM. What about the carbon canister?

No it has a fuel cap. Haven't replaced carbon canister.

Are there any software updates for the ECM available? Are there any trouble codes stored?

When I fill our Liberty, I try not to let it get completely full, because it usually won't click off until it spills gas (overflows just a bit). So now I slightly underfill it. The gauge is very accurate, so for example when it's at a 1/4 tank, when it should hold 15 gallons to full, I'll just put in around 14. This might be a simple no-cost solution to your problem, too.

Back