Do Some Oils Ever "Feel" Better To You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Castrol for smoother, quieter than Mobil or Fuchs in my Benz. Blazer doesn't care what's in it. No brand loyalty, doesn't care what flavor either!
My motor-cicles are happiest on Silkolene. Neither likes Castrol. Yamalube is pretty smooth too. Not going to get in a "you can't feel the difference in your motorcycle shifts" or "it can't be quieter" bologna because, yes I can and yes some oils are. Different oils make a big difference, and if you can't feel and hear it, well, this is BITOG - follow the sheeple.

I have already got those two trolls on ignore. Not that I'm giving advice.
This^^^^. Very easy to notice the shift quality differences in various MC oils. Amsoil is pretty smooth in my FZ1.

With my Nissan Sentra, PP felt better than any other oil.
Right now I'm trying to see if I will feel like NAPA FS feels better in my engine than the ST FS I drained out of it last week with 3,234 miles on it over 7 months.

Do any of you ever seem to sense that a certain oil seems like it does a better job of lubing your engine than other brands of oil?
Also notice the different grades of oil. Example. Ran 5w-20 M1 EP in my Camry as it became colder. Switched to 0W-20 AFE and the engine "felt" more "free", particularly , on start up and acceleration. Better flow, I think.

If they are only looking at entertainment threads like this one? Maybe, but we have a number of tribologists and formulators on here as well as industry experts that contribute, or have contributed, regularly over the years.
C’mon man … oil entertainment has to replace everything I’m boycotting these days 😷

I like Castrol for smoother, quieter than Mobil or Fuchs in my Benz. Blazer doesn't care what's in it. No brand loyalty, doesn't care what flavor either!
My motor-cicles are happiest on Silkolene. Neither likes Castrol. Yamalube is pretty smooth too. Not going to get in a "you can't feel the difference in your motorcycle shifts" or "it can't be quieter" bologna because, yes I can and yes some oils are. Different oils make a big difference, and if you can't feel and hear it, well, this is BITOG - follow the sheeple.

I have already got those two trolls on ignore. Not that I'm giving advice.

I'm right there with you. My shared-sump sportbikes definitely do run better, or shift better with certain oils.

I've also experienced differences in car motor oils with how a specific engine ran or sounded on certain oils.

Too many experiences back in my consumer car repair days, wherein a customer was a diehard fan of 'their' brand of oil. Switched to another brand at my urging, and low-and-behold the noise they were complaining about, went away. Often this was an issue with sticking HLA's.

If they are only looking at entertainment threads like this one? Maybe, but we have a number of tribologists and formulators on here as well as industry experts that contribute, or have contributed, regularly over the years.
That may be your rendition of my post.
I personally have more faith in my own senses as much as anything "tribologists and formulators as well as industry experts on here" might have to say about motor oils. I don't get into technical talk.

But thanks for the entertaining reply.
Funny how many of you have no second thoughts about insulting the OP of posts you wouldn't have posted yourselves.
But I guess that's to be expected on a mostly male, motor oil based forum.

Last edited:
Yes. PP is a relatively thin oil so I would not think it had anything to do with pressure. Maybe flow. Maybe your engine needs better flow to get oil to everything.

If I remember right, the PP in my Sentra had the same feeling long after the OCI.
So I don't think it was a new OCI feeling, it was something that was different from other oils I've used.
I might run PP in 6 months and see how I like it.

That may be your rendition of my post.
I personally have more faith in my own senses as much as anything "tribologists and formulators as well as industry experts on here" might have to say about motor oils. I don't get into technical talk.

But thanks for the entertaining reply.
Funny how many of you have no second thoughts about insulting the OP of posts you wouldn't have posted yourselves.
But I guess that's to be expected on a mostly male, motor oil based forum.
I think we’ve reached the final devolution of the thread. Key points in this post.

Trust specious, subjective “senses” above engineering.

Get defensive.

Insult others.

Insult the forum.

Nothing left to talk about, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back