NAPA FS or ST FS?

That's true.
So what do I do next OCI, buy PP and run it a full year or run these oils 2x a year?
Me changing these oils 2x a year might be better than if I had bought PP and ran it a full year.
See what I mean?
I'd do 2x a year with one of the budget synthetics that you mention. Car Care Nut on YT recommends this as well and he's a knowledgeable Toyota Master tech.

Car Care Nut on YT recommends this as well and he's a knowledgeable Toyota Master tech

I'll have to check that guy out. Thanks for the idea.
I don't care what the say about me "wasting oil".
The oil is always dirty when I change it and always seems to run quieter after I change it at 6 months.
And I like the feeling of doing it myself and the satisfaction of starting the engine with brand new oil and filter.
I know I'll get ants in my pants at 6 months, so there's no getting around it.

That's true.
So what do I do next OCI, buy PP and run it a full year or run these oils 2x a year?
Me changing these oils 2x a year might be better than if I had bought PP and ran it a full year.
See what I mean?
Imo changing the oil 2x more is definitely going to give better results than 1x extended oci

I bet you could also easily run ST/Napa Fs for an extended oci and probably get nice results with a premium filter

Last edited:
which would be great if it had more level marks, but the first level mark is at the top of the little cut out in the cardboard where the 2qt line is which to me seems like it'd be a pain trying to fine tune getting 4 quarts out of it where with a 5qt jug you can clearly see when there's 3qts left then 2qts left and you're getting close to 1qt.
What is wrong with you, stop relying on the box and check your dipstick when doing oil changes. Don't rely on putting in the exact amount required every time

Well you proposed a "solution" to a problem no one even asked for and your suggestion was terrible, those 6qt boxes are stupid unless your sump is close to 6 quarts.
I had to go back and check because I thought I was going mildly insane.

Good news - I’m not.

YOU aren’t even the OP.

OP asked about several value-brand synthetics- followed up with a question on other brands - I.e. “should I go with this or this.”

I replied with a cheeky “make my value brand X” because it’s a great deal and by all accounts a great oil (like the others suggested).

You jumped on complaining about your inability to do basic math and perform basic hand-eye coordinated tasks. Not my problem.

Truth is none of the walmart synthetics have prove better than others in terms of engine wear. St is made bY a reputable oil company and meets API specs so its more that good enough for your application. Sure could spend more for. a name on the bottle if that makes you feel better but i have not seen and consistant data that says one oil is consistantly better than another. only anecdotal stories. If ST was causing engines problems with walmart being as hated as it is believe me it would be widely flogged on the forums. ST, CostcoKirklands signature, Amazon basics are all made by the same company. Warren. All three oils have good to great reviews. so grab whatever you like and sleep easy. Ive said it a thousand times. oil nowadays is easy. the hardest thing is finding clearances,discounts, rebates so i can get it for less that $2/qt. :). thats the only research i do now.

What is wrong with you, stop relying on the box and check your dipstick when doing oil changes. Don't rely on putting in the exact amount required every time
You usually put in less, but when the sump is 3.9qts, and the only marker on the container is after 4qts. how do I know I've poured in around 3.5qts to start checking the dipstick, the answer is, you really don't because you have no way of seeing how much oil is in the box above the 2qt line. Whereas with a 5qt or gallon jug, I can tell when I've poured about 3.5qts out of it and to start fine tuning at the dipstick.

You usually put in less, but when the sump is 3.9qts, and the only marker on the container is after 4qts. how do I know I've poured in around 3.5qts to start checking the dipstick, the answer is, you really don't because you have no way of seeing how much oil is in the box above the 2qt line. Whereas with a 5qt or gallon jug, I can tell when I've poured about 3.5qts out of it and to start fine tuning at the dipstick.
The hash on the dip stick is usually a quart wide. Top of the hash is full and bottom of the hash is 1 quart low. Typically...

Anyone measuring out 3.9 quarts exactly has too much time on their hands. 3.5-4qts is fine.

The hash on the dip stick is usually a quart wide. Top of the hash is full and bottom of the hash is 1 quart low. Typically...

Anyone measuring out 3.9 quarts exactly has too much time on their hands. 3.5-4qts is fine.
But in the smartchange packaging you can't really tell how much you've poured until you reach 4qts, and then you'll have like 2 quarts left over and during your next change you'll need to measure out 2 quarts from the new packaging and since there's no mark telling you where 4qts is, so you can't pour 2 qts out of the new container and know how much you've poured and you can't pour 2 quarts into the old container and fill it to approx 4 quarts because there's no 4 quart markings, the smartchange box is only smart if your sump is between 5-6qts.

i think the horse is dead. so many common sense ways to solve that simple problem. no need for further discussion.
Seriously, I can't even tell what they're babbling about.
They seem to have hijacked the post.

Seriously, I can't even tell what they're babbling about.
They seem to have hijacked the post.
They suggested you use this oil that comes in this dumb 6qt bag in box setup, where they only give you an indicator to show the last 2 quarts of the container, in a vehicle will a tiny sump like a Prius it's completely impractical to use.

I changed my ST oil to NAPA a few days ago, at 7 months and 3,234 miles.
I felt like I wanted to get the ST out of there and get some NAPA in there, which may or may not be better.
I guess I'll do 6 month OCIs with one of these lower priced oils, or oils on sale.

Which of these oils would be better to run a whole year, ST or NAPA?

Or should I just spend a little more for something name brand like Magnatec, Edge, PP, M1, QS, or Valvoline and just run that for 1 year, or would I be better to 2 OCIs a year with ST or NAPA? Sorry if I still seem to obsess over this.
At 3,234 miles in 7 months either oil will easily go one year. I'm doing one year OCI's on my 4Runner with ST which is about 6k miles. Toyota recommends 6 months or 7,500 miles. What does your owners manual recommend?

They suggested you use this oil that comes in this dumb 6qt bag in box setup, where they only give you an indicator to show the last 2 quarts of the container, in a vehicle will a tiny sump like a Prius it's completely impractical to use.

It's not "dumb" if you don't mind using a plastic measuring cup to make sure you add the right amount of oil.
Seriously, remember the "to each his own" slogan?
It would be nice if people would just reply to the main post and stop squabbling like children over little things.
You know, like with the "post your latest oil change" posts?
Say your piece and then move on.

Last edited:
At 3,234 miles in 7 months either oil will easily go one year. I'm doing one year OCI's on my 4Runner with ST which is about 6k miles. Toyota recommends 6 months or 7,500 miles. What does your owners manual recommend?
"The oil change interval is every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first."

Back